Need an apps and software grouping under….uh Software. Professional App Developers?

T

tanktigger

Audiophyte
I believe audiohaulics should do a series of shows on the software and applications associated with the Hardware we all use. My experience is most spouses hate, or refuse to use the crappy apps we are forced to use. I‘m sure we have all returned hardware simply because of the apps. Consumer electronics companies have gotten away with it, because we let them.

I suspect there are professional app and software developers that could help with a show. Maybe even some people with advanced degrees in GUI and app design.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I believe audiohaulics should do a series of shows on the software and applications associated with the Hardware we all use. My experience is most spouses hate, or refuse to use the crappy apps we are forced to use. I‘m sure we have all returned hardware simply because of the apps. Consumer electronics companies have gotten away with it, because we let them.

I suspect there are professional app and software developers that could help with a show. Maybe even some people with advanced degrees in GUI and app design.
The problem is Apps. They are a stupid idea, and you will never make them any good. Apps need to go. TVs need to be windows based or a Apple operating system.

When you turn on a TV it should connect to your cable service, or antenna, or a web page should display. All streams should come via web search. Apps controlled by hunt and peck remotes, are just awful. We have HTPCs connected to both of our main TV systems. Either we use cable, or get content via web browser. We seldom use apps.
My wife never use apps, so may be women know better than men what to avoid.

T

tanktigger

Audiophyte
Phones are here to stay, so we are stuck with apps. We might as well demand the best apps we can get.

I got burned out of PC media computers after Microsoft canceled Windows Media Center. (yeah I'm old and stubborn)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What sort of devices/apps are causing you/your wife particular issues? I have had them in a variety of AV gear (smart tv, avr, bluray players, fire sticks) and don't find them particularly hard to navigate as long as you can basically operate an AV system....which can be hard for some I suppose.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just ran an update in my Mac mini M1 to Ventura. Frustrated with changes but settings do look more like those in their phones and tablets. Apps aren’t going anywhere.

Browsers are the worst thing to use at this point when trying to get the optimal audio/video presentation from a streaming service. Services optimize their apps for dedicated streamers and even then deals with one company effect the apps of another. Some browsers will package up a service and present it as an app when in fact it is just a browser favorite in disguise.

It can be confusing as the supported formats displayed on the service site do not have anything to do with the audio/video support of the browser and PC/Mac used for playback. The input signal display of the processor/receiver and TV will tell the tale. If Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision are displayed as the incoming signals respectively for content that supports them, then all is well. If not, something in the chain of devices and software does not support them or settings aren’t optimized for them.

I love my Mac mini M1, but a great movie and music player it is not and those duties belong to other devices. I’m lucky it supports the Onkyo/DTS Play-Fi app for streaming music from various services over my network. Discs are played on my Sony universal player and streaming is done from the Apple TV 4K. Many use their computers and Smart devices to populate their service libraries and then they are just a click away on their streaming device. Speaking into the mic on many new remote controllers will bring up the desired content if available with no hunting needed.

Homework is a must these days in figuring out which service and piece of hardware and software combo will deliver the desired content in the optimal way. There is no one service or streamer to rule them all. Pick your poison. Oh, and your ecosystem.;)

T

tanktigger

Audiophyte
What sort of devices/apps are causing you/your wife particular issues? I have had them in a variety of AV gear (smart tv, avr, bluray players, fire sticks) and don't find them particularly hard to navigate as long as you can basically operate an AV system....which can be hard for some I suppose.
My goals are:
1. fully flush out forum’s software section with sub headings for Apple & Android Apps, Apple/Microsoft/Linux media computers, etc
2. Get the site owners interested in doing shows about apps(not hardware). Ideally attracting the manufacturers to join in collaboratively improving their software.
3. Attract the attentions of true professionals in app, software development, and GUI design to help with bullet 2.

I didn’t want to single out particular companies, because that should be what happens in a new Apps sub forum. clearly there are good & bad apps. But you asked

Since I have marantz & Denon products, those are my focus. I’m always able to figure them out, but they’re awful. Until a couple months ago the official app name was 2016 Marantz / Denon app. I help my collection of friends with AV stuff. One wife vetoed the purchase simply because of this. It definitely shows a lack of pride.

The sheer number of apps to use the stereo is too much for my wife, and others. Denon Remote, HEOS, audio streaming app, harmony app, and sometime Audessy. One friends wife was like, how many apps do I need to play music. Making it worse is that Sound United doesn’t support split screen / multitasking. So you just buy a Giant a iPad Pro and control all at once.

This isn‘t 2016 anymore. I feel like an app for a receiver should be able to show and modify all settings available if you’re on screen. I spend a lot of time with HEOS so don’t have my projector or TV on.

The Alexa skill only controls the primary zone and won’t respond or say Marantz. The performance of multiple HEOS devices is noticeably poorer than a multi room Amazon Echo group.

Don‘t even get me started on the poor applets for the various streaming with Sound United.

Lastly trying to figure out which streaming service has which show is getting ridiculous. NetfliX, Amazon Prime, Disney+,paramount+, Hulu, and on and on. Each service wants to keep you in their service. Then there is the quality of the apps on different streaming devices, TVs, etc. There are apps to help you find what Shows / Movies are streaming on which services, some are even dabbling in service integration/remote control. But that adds yet another app to the complexity total. My friends and wives want a content focused GUI. They don’t care if it’s Netflix or which streaming device to use.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be time for such, not sure how much traction it'll get here, tho.

I'd agree that my limited use of the Denon app to control the avr was pretty sad, just don't use one now. Universal remote is easier. I don't use the apps in my avr as I've taken it to an external basis in any case (using fire sticks and audio chromecast units). The firesticks do have a pretty good search feature for the various services I use (Amazon Prime, Showtime, Netflix, Mubi and some others), and using their remote is easy enough (especially my newest one which can turn on the avr/tv/firestick easily enough). My Denon is pre-HEOS but seems that's a fussy setup in any case. I don't talk to my devices, no desire to either.

I definitely don't see using a computer browser instead, tho...and I can stream from my laptop easily enough in any case.

Good luck!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You'd have better luck achieving world peace. Maybe put that as #1 and go from there.;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You'd have better luck achieving world peace. Maybe put that as #1 and go from there.;)
I do nearly all streaming from my Windows 10 HTPC and my DAW Occasionally I will use a TV app. I get the best sound and picture from my HTPC. I can also Download from the BBC iPlayer. The BBC seem pretty much wedded to PC for their streaming and I agree. I loath apps, and the remotes that run them. I will continue to avoid them as much as I can. My DAW is used for all my audio streaming and I can download to it and do. I don't believe there even are apps for a lot of what I stream.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are quite a few BBC apps out there. The BBC iPlayer is for the UK and I don't care to try and fudge my location to get it. I use the BritBox app for BBC and iTV content. The Apple TV 4K BritBox app delivers better video quality than the browser experience using Safari on my Mac mini M1. I have used the BBC America app in the past but it's been too long ago to remember how well it worked. It's no comfortable transition from mouse and keyboard to remote controller for some. I prefer to use a remote controller. I could connect a keyboard to the Apple TV 4K and use my iPhone screen as a track pad if cared to do so. But, I don't. I've never gamed on a PC either. Give me a great big TV and couch to lounge on while I use a controller to survive a Horde Frenzy.

It is a mess out there and it does not matter if one is using a PC/Mac browser or streaming device. Figuring out what is available in terms of audio/video quality and if that optimal presentation is available on a given service and the devices used for playback is more than maddening. Forum participants are working harder to help those in need of help figuring it all out than any customer support rep from any service.

K

kate4u

Audiophyte
There are quite a few BBC apps out there. The BBC iPlayer is for the UK and I don't care to try and fudge my location to get it. I use the BritBox app for BBC and iTV content. The Apple TV 4K BritBox app delivers better video quality than the browser experience using Safari on my Mac mini M1. I have used the BBC America app in the past but it's been too long ago to remember how well it worked. It's no comfortable transition from mouse and keyboard to remote controller for some. I prefer to use a remote controller. I could connect a keyboard to the Apple TV 4K and use my iPhone screen as a track pad if cared to do so. But, I don't. I've never gamed on a PC either. Give me a great big TV and couch to lounge on while I use a controller to survive a Horde Frenzy.

It is a mess out there and it does not matter if one is using a PC/Mac browser or streaming device. Figuring out what is available in terms of audio/video quality and if that optimal presentation is available on a given service and the devices used for playback is more than maddening. Forum participants are working harder to help those in need of help figuring it all out than any customer support rep from any service.
Thanks for the helpful info. I always hire a developer who can help with software development. Also, my sister recently worked with financial software development company that helped her to modernize and incorporate some new features for her app.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
It's a topic I am currently working on as I am updated my NAS device. I have been using Plex, but will be transitioning my FLAC music files over to Roon because I wanted a more easy to use interface that would be easier for the Mrs. to us, as she would use that more.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's a topic I am currently working on as I am updated my NAS device. I have been using Plex, but will be transitioning my FLAC music files over to Roon because I wanted a more easy to use interface that would be easier for the Mrs. to us, as she would use that more.
I love Roon on my PC and if you just want audio and no video the mobile and tablet interfaces are great for streaming to whatever device you choose. I also love that you can link devices/zones and sync them with the same material. Some devices do have their limitations though.

I have a Raspberry Pi with an audio HAT so I can connect it via HDMI or analogue RCA to a receiver, but to display song info you have to run a Chrome browser and connect to the proper IP address to grab art work or lyrics. The Pi runs a version of Linux and the Roon driver supports all DSP functions.

For the NVidia Shield, it only supports Roon through Chromecast, which has some other limitations. The biggest for me is the lack of a volume slider. You can only mute and unmute. It displays band art and will display karaoke lyrics but you don't have access to the same graphics material as on a PC. I really wish they would make a native Roon app for the Shield so that I could use the remote instead of my mobile. I find myself using Plex on the Shield sometimes instead of Roon because of those inconveniences.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have become increasingly frustrated with the limitations of just about every configuration of hardware, software and services. Doesn’t seem to be any combo without some kind of limitation. It has more to do with deals struck than oversights I think.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just FYI: The thread is about 5 months old and the OP is long gone.

jameswilliam

jameswilliam

Audiophyte
Tecziq Solutions is a mobile app development and software development company with a global presence, including the USA. They provide custom software solutions and cutting-edge mobile app development services to help businesses achieve their goals and stay ahead in the competitive market.

F

felicityjohns

Audiophyte

I believe for considering BBC apps and streaming options, it's essential to find the right fit for your preferences. BBC iPlayer is UK-exclusive, while BritBox offers BBC and iTV content with superior video quality on Apple TV 4K. Transitioning to a remote controller for streaming can be more comfortable for some users. Determining audio/video quality and compatibility across services and devices can be challenging. Online forums often provide better assistance than official support channels. If you're looking to build a website like Airbnb, explore specialized platforms and web development services for creating similar marketplaces.

J

joshmcquin

Audiophyte
Sure! I think it's a fantastic idea to have a series of shows dedicated to exploring the software and applications that accompany the audio hardware we use. As I see many of us have experienced frustration with poorly designed apps, and it's a shame when we have to return otherwise great hardware just because of the accompanying software.

By involving professional app developers and experts in GUI and app design, we can get practical solutions and insights to improve user-friendliness. It's an opportunity to address this issue, share knowledge, and encourage companies to prioritize better software. Overall, your suggestion is spot-on and would make a valuable addition to the shows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis