Need Advice on New Surrounds. What is good to pair with my PSB's?

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
How about just going with 3.1 ? Some rooms/waf just aren't friendly to surrounds sometimes :) What do you expect the surrounds to bring particularly?
I mostly watch movies and sports in that room. So the background sound effects that a surround sound system brings is what I would like to have.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I mostly watch movies and sports in that room. So the background sound effects that a surround sound system brings is what I would like to have.
Unfortunate that you can not stick with the small surrounds. That is the best solution. I started with in ceiling surrounds which were ok for background effects. They need to be close to the back wall. I then tried side surrounds and rear panel speakers (I also have the couch against the back wall). I preferred the side surrounds to in-ceiling but the rear surrounds so close to the seating position was a no-go.

If you can not use box speakers, then it's either in-wall or in-ceiling. In-walls will be fine for the person seated in the middle but will be close to the head of those seated at the ends near the speakers. You already have that situation now so you know what that is like. In-ceiling gets the speakers further away, but the effects come from overhead instead from the sides. So it comes down to two things. Ease of access (getting the wires run to that location) and whether you care where the effects emanate from. That's up to you to decide. Some suggest no surrounds and going 3.1, others are willing to compromise on placement for the 5.1. I am in the latter camp.

I would not use dipoles because the room is not balanced. You won't get the reflections on the open side. The RSLs are likely the most cost effective option.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd vote for some small speakers, not bipole tho, up near the corners above the couch, but more on the side walls than rear wall, aimed at the general seating area in your room using an appropriate mount. I know I really don't get a vote, tho :) Hope you find a compromise that works.!

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
I'd vote for some small speakers, not bipole tho, up near the corners above the couch, but more on the side walls than rear wall, aimed at the general seating area in your room using an appropriate mount. I know I really don't get a vote, tho :) Hope you find a compromise that works.!
So maybe its worth the extra headache or cost (if I get someone to do it) to maybe look at something like SVS Elevation speakers high up on either side pointing to the listening area. I do have that drop of ceiling on the left where its open. Just need to get the wires over there. Wonder if even the PSB Imagine XA could work as surrounds. Rather spend extra to get it right. Thanks @lovinthehd

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Unfortunate that you can not stick with the small surrounds. That is the best solution. I started with in ceiling surrounds which were ok for background effects. They need to be close to the back wall. I then tried side surrounds and rear panel speakers (I also have the couch against the back wall). I preferred the side surrounds to in-ceiling but the rear surrounds so close to the seating position was a no-go.

If you can not use box speakers, then it's either in-wall or in-ceiling. In-walls will be fine for the person seated in the middle but will be close to the head of those seated at the ends near the speakers. You already have that situation now so you know what that is like. In-ceiling gets the speakers further away, but the effects come from overhead instead from the sides. So it comes down to two things. Ease of access (getting the wires run to that location) and whether you care where the effects emanate from. That's up to you to decide. Some suggest no surrounds and going 3.1, others are willing to compromise on placement for the 5.1. I am in the latter camp.

I would not use dipoles because the room is not balanced. You won't get the reflections on the open side. The RSLs are likely the most cost effective option.
Yeah Im with you. 5.1 with compromise. RSL seem to be the only ones right now with an angle to the listening area. Have to keep looking. Revel, KEF, Monitor, Sonance, and Triad all are good matches to PSB I am told. But do they have angled in-walls. Otherwise I can try to convince the wife to go with the suggestion from @lovinthehd that I posted earlier. Fingers crossed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So maybe its worth the extra headache or cost (if I get someone to do it) to maybe look at something like SVS Elevation speakers high up on either side pointing to the listening area. I do have that drop of ceiling on the left where its open. Just need to get the wires over there. Wonder if even the PSB Imagine XA could work as surrounds. Rather spend extra to get it right. Thanks @lovinthehd
I was wondering just how much of that bit of side "wall" before it opens up to the adjoining room you have for mounting something like the speakers you mentioned, but it looked like such might not fit without hanging down/exposed somewhat. I was thinking a swivel type mount as suggested before and a small speaker like the RSLs mentioned as being better aesthetically.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
I was wondering just how much of that bit of side "wall" before it opens up to the adjoining room you have for mounting something like the speakers you mentioned, but it looked like such might not fit without hanging down/exposed somewhat. I was thinking a swivel type mount as suggested before and a small speaker like the RSLs mentioned as being better aesthetically.
I have a touch over 12 inches for that little soffit wall. So I think a small speaker would fit in that space. However, it would be about 7-8ft from the MLP. Dont know if that matters.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I have a touch over 12 inches for that little soffit wall. So I think a small speaker would fit in that space. However, it would be about 7-8ft from the MLP. Dont know if that matters.
That would be fine...if you are running room correction the distances would be adjusted.
And just in case you might think those little RSL's are insufficient....watch this.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking more that it was 6-8 inches, but glancing at the SVS Elevation that would fit with it's dimensions "9.4" (H) X 5.44" (W) X 8.33" (D) (includes grille, binding posts and bumper feet)", thought that speaker was a bit taller myself.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah Im with you. 5.1 with compromise. RSL seem to be the only ones right now with an angle to the listening area. Have to keep looking. Revel, KEF, Monitor, Sonance, and Triad all are good matches to PSB I am told. But do they have angled in-walls. Otherwise I can try to convince the wife to go with the suggestion from @lovinthehd that I posted earlier. Fingers crossed.
Here is the Triad catalog:
https://www.triadspeakers.com/catalog
They have an angled on-wall and in-wall that is a dipole, but also several styles of angled in-ceiling speakers. I don't see why the in-ceiling could not be mounted vertically in-wall to act as a surround. Digitaldawn on this forum is a Triad dealer and would have more information.
Surface mounting an SVS Elevation should have similar results and allow for different installation options, whether on-ceiling or on-wall. Arendal also makes an angled height (surround) speaker.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Triad has angled in-wall speakers, as well as Bipole models for surround.

If you have any Triad questions, please let me know.

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
So Im continuing my research into surrounds for my 5.1 setup, pairing them with my PSB's. Specifically looking now at on-wall angled like the SVS Elevations. Read a little about RBH speakers. They make a similar speaker, the 61A-SW. Does anyone know anything about them? How do they compare? I know very little about RBH. Thanks.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
RBH make very good speakers but there are very few angled surrounds that have measurements posted. SVS releases an Ultra Evolution but I don't know if it adds a whole lot over the standard model. I would also look into the Triad speakers mentioned (made in the U.S.A.).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Going off of memory(hit or miss lol) from the above photo.
If the current surrounds are good enough, why not just move the couch ahead a few inches, and raise the stands?
I would then, center the tv, move the mains out, relocate the sub inboard of the mains(or somewhere else in the room.
The surrounds could also be mounted so one is on the side wall and one on the back. The one on the back wall would just have to have the speaker sideways in the mount.
Ok. Random post over.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Going off of memory(hit or miss lol) from the above photo.
If the current surrounds are good enough, why not just move the couch ahead a few inches, and raise the stands?
I would then, center the tv, move the mains out, relocate the sub inboard of the mains(or somewhere else in the room.
The surrounds could also be mounted so one is on the side wall and one on the back. The one on the back wall would just have to have the speaker sideways in the mount.
Ok. Random post over.
Helps to read the thread. ;) Op said that there is new furniture coming and the spouse wants to get rid of the stands and use in-walls / on-walls.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Helps to read the thread. ;) Op said that there is new furniture coming and the spouse wants to get rid of the stands and use in-walls / on-walls.
Well I earned that didn’t I? Lol
Sometimes my fingers type just ahead of my brain.

Last edited:
J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Triad has angled in-wall speakers, as well as Bipole models for surround.

If you have any Triad questions, please let me know.
@DigitalDawn Ill have to check your suggestion for Triad on-wall out. However, I see you resell other brands that I was looking at. Checked your site; do you sell and ship to Ohio? However, since you are in FL, was unfortunately looking for professional install. The speaker wire runs I need are a bit tricky for me to do alone. Especially with a finished ceiling.

See you resell Def Tech, ML, Klipsch, and KEF also. They were on my list as well. Like for example, the Motion MP10 (ML), R8 Meta (KEF), or R-40SA (Klipsch). Any thoughts on those? Or are you still partial to Triad?

J

juryman

Junior Audioholic
Well I earned that didn’t I? Lol
Sometimes my fingers type just Head of my brain.
Yep. Thats correct. WAF seems to rule in this case. However, the sectional you see in the picture is the new furniture and cant be moved. Has to stay as is. So are you saying that its best to have the sub INSIDE of the right tower speaker? Did not know that it matters that much. As far as the MLP goes, its in the middle of the sectional on the back wall. Dont care much about the side seating. Thats where the kids sit. They dont care about surround sound. :p:p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. Thats correct. WAF seems to rule in this case. However, the sectional you see in the picture is the new furniture and cant be moved. Has to stay as is. So are you saying that its best to have the sub INSIDE of the right tower speaker? Did not know that it matters that much. As far as the MLP goes, its in the middle of the sectional on the back wall. Dont care much about the side seating. Thats where the kids sit. They dont care about surround sound. :p:p
Mainly my point of putting the sub inside was to be able to spread the mains out a little more. Seems cramped a bit. As far as sub placement, it matters much more than people realize. The room dictates 100%(subwoofer quality notwithstanding)how it will perform, and due to the long wavelengths, they can be very fussy, and placement is key.
I understand WAF, and am definitely subject to it. But it does not have final say here. I pay the mortgage too, so I get my vote as well. Fair’s fair! I will look at the pictures again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis