Need advice on New Speaker Upgrade

B

Brooks Moore

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I am a long time reader of Audioholics, but just recently joined the forums. I will freely admit I joined because I have exhausted my brain doing research on my own, and now I'm looking for some outside perspective. I have $3500 saved up to buy some a new speakers for my living room/ home theater setup. It is my primary spot and I split its use for 75% movies/TV and 25% music. That being said, I am using it more for music these days, and thats where I find myself wanting more.

So to give you a little context, my current system includes a 5.2 setup consisting of a Pioneer SC-37, Polk Monitor 70s, Cs2 center, and Monitor 40 surrounds. I also have Monitor 30s for rear surrounds, but recently bought a new home, and just don't have the room to do 7.2 anymore. I may one day, but the placement of 5.2 really works well with my new living room. I'm also not looking to upgrade to atmos just yet, and I like the Icepower amps in the SC-37. So with that in mind, I'm looking for a new 5 speaker setup. New towers, surrounds and center channel.

The polks are very good entry level speakers, and I have enjoyed them. However, I'm 31 years old and I have outgrown them in almost every way. The more research I have done, and the more speakers I audition, the more I notice their inherent cost saving flaws. Not to completely discredit the polks, its just obvious when I bought all 7 speakers for $900, and now Im spending the equivalent on one tower. Like I stated at the beginning of this very long post (sorry), I have researched as far as I can on my own. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I live in the Atlanta area so I can setup auditions with dealers for almost any brand.

Just to give you an idea of where I'm at, so far I have listened to Def Tech 8060 STs, B&W's latest 600 series, Paradigms Monitor Series, and the golden ear triton 7s. I like the sound of both the b&w and the paradigm. They are very similar as far as I can tell, but I listened to them in different environments. I did not like the sound of the def techs nor the Golden Ears. Not a fan of there looks as well. My paradigm dealer offered to make me a deal on prestige series, but it would take me over $4k. And at that price point I could look into trying the new Aperion Verus Grand series 2 (backordered). Like I said I am sort of stuck in my own mind, and could really use some fresh ideas...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello All,

I am a long time reader of Audioholics, but just recently joined the forums. I will freely admit I joined because I have exhausted my brain doing research on my own, and now I'm looking for some outside perspective. I have $3500 saved up to buy some a new speakers for my living room/ home theater setup. It is my primary spot and I split its use for 75% movies/TV and 25% music. That being said, I am using it more for music these days, and thats where I find myself wanting more.

So to give you a little context, my current system includes a 5.2 setup consisting of a Pioneer SC-37, Polk Monitor 70s, Cs2 center, and Monitor 40 surrounds. I also have Monitor 30s for rear surrounds, but recently bought a new home, and just don't have the room to do 7.2 anymore. I may one day, but the placement of 5.2 really works well with my new living room. I'm also not looking to upgrade to atmos just yet, and I like the Icepower amps in the SC-37. So with that in mind, I'm looking for a new 5 speaker setup. New towers, surrounds and center channel.

The polks are very good entry level speakers, and I have enjoyed them. However, I'm 31 years old and I have outgrown them in almost every way. The more research I have done, and the more speakers I audition, the more I notice their inherent cost saving flaws. Not to completely discredit the polks, its just obvious when I bought all 7 speakers for $900, and now Im spending the equivalent on one tower. Like I stated at the beginning of this very long post (sorry), I have researched as far as I can on my own. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I live in the Atlanta area so I can setup auditions with dealers for almost any brand.

Just to give you an idea of where I'm at, so far I have listened to Def Tech 8060 STs, B&W's latest 600 series, Paradigms Monitor Series, and the golden ear triton 7s. I like the sound of both the b&w and the paradigm. They are very similar as far as I can tell, but I listened to them in different environments. I did not like the sound of the def techs nor the Golden Ears. Not a fan of there looks as well. My paradigm dealer offered to make me a deal on prestige series, but it would take me over $4k. And at that price point I could look into trying the new Aperion Verus Grand series 2 (backordered). Like I said I am sort of stuck in my own mind, and could really use some fresh ideas...
Look at some internet direct brands!

EMPtek
Ascend
Philharmonic
SVS

Any of those will be top performers for relatively little $.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Hello All,

If you liked the Paradigm, you are aware they have a promo where you get a center channel for free?

http://www.paradigm.com/specials/jan-2016.php

If you are not getting at least a 20% discount on the speakers, you are not getting a good deal. If you are in Chicago, I have a solid dealer for those.

RBH are great speakers, but I am not sure what kind of markdown they give, but that is 4K just for the pair list that have been suggested.

If you are going to spend that much, I saw an awesome pair of RBH on audiogon from a dealer on sale

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-rbh-sx-8300-reference-3-8-bass-drivers-3-5-7-speaker-systems-available-huge-discount-2016-02-13-speakers-34741-kissimmee-fl

I would also check out the
- Monitor audio silver series
- PSB

If you are going to go up budget I would also look at the Revel F206

As for the GoldenEars not sounding good, you obviously have hearing challenges...JK ;)

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Take home speakers and audition them in your home. THEN decide what you like best, and not before.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
My recommendation:
RBH SV6500 towers x 2
RBH SV661C center x 1
RBH SV61 bookshelf x 2
I've never engaged in this kind of self-promotion because I think it's out of keeping with the spirit of the forum and not likely to be very credible in any event. Am I missing something?

B

Brooks Moore

Enthusiast
Wow I like the fresh perspective so far thanks for all the helpful input. To add more clarity to my post, I do indeed have 2 BIC F12 subwoofers. Not the greatest I know, but they do their job well enough for the time being. I eventually want to replace them with 2 sweat little SVS SB13-ultras. Obviously, not in the budget right now.

My hearing challenges with the golden ears may be because of the situation I listened to them. The dealer really wanted to sell me some triton ones on the spot, and was an aggressively bad listener. So unfortunately he wouldn't move the sevens, and I had to listen to them in a small room loaded with speakers of varying cost and size. That is probably my real issue with buying golden ears. The only dealer within 300 miles to me is more of a custom theater installer, and when I approached them with my "pitiful budget" they stopped barely short of showing me the door. What's worse is around Atlanta this attitude is more the norm than the exception.

I will definitely ask my paradigm dealer about the center channel as he mentioned nothing about that. He thankfully is a kind man who just seems a little flaky, and probably didn't think about it when I walked in his store. The more I think about it the more I agree with the idea of trying speakers out in my home. Only way I can hear them and maybe A/B against my polls just for reference.

Again really appreciate the help so far, and I'm always open to more input.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
For $3500, definitely upgrade those subs..

You could look at the SVS Ultra Bookshelf or Prime Tower package, an EMP R55Ti system, Ascend Sierra, and the KEF Q series in addition to the others noted.

Also, at that price, I would probably get a pair of sealed subwoofers. Rythmik Audio, HSU, Dayton, etc. You would not regret dropping $1500 on the HSU ULS-15 DualDrive; this leaves $2000 for the 5 speakers, which is enough for some great great sound quality.

R55Ti towers, R55Wi bipole surrounds, and R56Ci center totals $1788. 5x Sierra 1 from Ascend is $1900. The SVS Prime Tower package is $1549. You could save some bucks and go for the $1049 Prime Bookshelf package which will have about the same SQ; you won't be hurting for bass if you spend some money on quality subwoofers. I'm a big fan of sealed subwoofers these days. They sound tighter and quicker to my ears and they roll off more naturally as the frequency drops.

Honestly, though, if it were me, I'd wait for NHT to introduce their new C series and buy a pair of the bigger bookshelves, the center, and a pair of the smaller bookshelves. $2000 even. Of course, I have a huge soft spot for NHT and regularly make poor decisions based on emotional attachment, so take that for what it's worth. :)

Maybe it's meant to be... ULS Dual Drive + that NHT system (which doesn't even exist yet) is $3499. You could send me the spare dollar.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and if you want output you could get one of the Klipsch Reference systems and add a second sub. These you could probably demo in person, too. The RP-260 system is $2300.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Speakers are a personal choice, the Ones are Great Speakers, and that is my personal choice. If you don't like GE, sound is subjective. I also agree they are not the normal "Pretty" speakers. I had the Studio 100v5 Paradigms for Home Theater and they did an excellent job for that medium.

The prestige series are a bump up in low end detail. Paradigm is a popular brand but don't get much love here on these forums, for that fact neither do GoldenEar, but at then end of the day but what sounds good to you.

I really liked to REVEL, but those are about 3500 for the pair F206. I have never done the internet brand but the Philharmonic appear to measure really well and might be worth consideration.

Last edited:
B

Brooks Moore

Enthusiast
So let's say I get 2 svs sb-2000s at $1500. Leaving me $2k to spend. Best options for that price? I'm looking to class up my living room so I would go with the gloss black on the subs. The empteks I know come in gloss black so would the 5 emptek/svs sub combo be better than getting the paradigm prestige 75f, center, surround and waiting to upgrade subs later?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, the smartest thing to do would probably buy a subwoofer (or two) up front, and narrow down your choice to ~3 different systems. Order the main speakers for each of them and spend some time with each one. Send back the two pairs you don't like, and order the center and surrounds for the one you do. Or send them all back if none of them are right.

BTW, the main advantage of 2 subs isn't really output but smoothness. Bass is very patchy in-room. Some points will be rather loud and some points will be kinda dead. By placing two subs in smart positions you can minimize that.

I also wouldn't hold off on upgrading the subs. Good, tight, accurate bass with headroom makes a big difference in the experience.

B

Brooks Moore

Enthusiast
it's not that I don't like the golden ear sound. I heard the triton ones and was very impressed, but they are out of my budget and the sevens just don't match up.

My father has an older klipsch reference theater built around some RF-62s. Bit to bright for me, but you are correct. Damn things getting insanely loud. Which works for him because the old man is going deaf.

B

Brooks Moore

Enthusiast
If I choose to upgrade my subs I will definitely get 2. I have 2 now so it's too late for me. I have seen too much and can go back to 1 now. He se the reason I was planning to upgrade later. I figured get 5 great speakers now, and in another year get 2 great subs. But if I can swing getting two new subs and speakers I will go that route. As I never thought about doing that until today. I was only ever thinking about 5 new speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Just curious if you'd be willing to check out the KEF R series (R300 list at $1799.99, R500 at $2599.99, the R700 at $3599.99) by visiting a dealer local to you to see if you can audition them.

http://www.kef.com/common/find_a_retailer.aspx?cid=6

Just enter your city or Zip Code and a range of miles you'd be willing to travel. I wouldn't know which dealers in your area are good to people.

I also found the Klipsch a bit overly bright for my tastes, and while many others with aluminum dome tweeters aren't far off, the KEF "Tangerine Waveguide" is very effective in modulating that and why I enjoy mine.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I have $3500 saved up to buy some a new speakers for my living room/ home theater setup.
Brooks,
You've received a lot of advice. I'm going to give you a little different perspective.

In my experience, AV equipment is something you continue to upgrade as your budget increases. You replace and replace until you reach the point that you think additional $ is not worth the incremental improvement. Speakers being the most subjective component in your system, that point is most difficult for anyone else to define for you.

You are the the beginning of your upgrade journey, so you have a choice. You can spread your budget among several components, upgrading everything at once. When you've saved up $5k, you can do it again. Again at $7.5k. Again at $10k, etc.
OR
You can dedicate your budget to a single component. Go ahead and get "the one" with which you'll likely remain satisfied regardless of your budget growth. This way, you're not repeatedly spending, (wasting), money on something you're going to replace. This is the strategy I suggest.

Now, which component to pick? Everybody, and I mean everybody, will agree that speakers are the most critical part of your system. Very inexpensive electronics can sound great with great speakers. And among all the 5.1 or 7.1 or 7.2 or 7.2.4 or any other systems, everybody agrees again that the Front Left & Right speakers are the most important.

Knowing what I know now, after many upgrades resulting in speakers given away, sitting in a closet, or sold at a loss, I suggest you are in luck! Your $3500 is just enough to get a pair of Front Left/Right speakers you will most likely keep and enjoy for the rest of your life. Those speakers are Philharmonic 3s from http://philharmonicaudio.com/

You can search this forum, and the rest of the web, to see what people say about them. I'll summarize. Until you move into the $5-10k each price range, there is probably not a better sounding speaker. And even in the $5k/each neighborhood, you can find debate about which is better.

I currently have a pair. I replaced Aperion Verus Grand Towers with them. The difference is absolutely stunning! A sub is not necessary for music, though I still use them for movies/tv. I suggest you get a pair of Phil 3s. You can upgrade your center, surrounds, subs, AVR and everything else as you get the money. No rush. In the meantime, you'll be amazed and I doubt you'll ever decide to replace them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would jump on Phil 3's in a New York Minute...though my wife would object so strenuously that both couldn't live in the house.

I am going to miss her. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would look at classifieds too for pre-owned. A lot of times you can get more expensive speakers at much cheaper prices. A lot of times people just want to get rid of their speakers for a huge loss.

About a year ago I sold my Philharmonic 3 speakers (upgraded with Mahogany Piano Gloss finish) for about $1900/pr.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
As awesome as the Philharmonic 3s are, they're probably not the best place to start a home theater system, particularly if space is a factor.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The best thing to do is probably to audition the speakers first for a while before buying. They may sound good for a few hours or even days, but maybe not so much after a few months.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis