Need Advice - looking for a decent sub under $300

M

mercurylines

Audioholic Intern
hey folks
I don't have too much money to spend, but my home theater is in dire need of a sub. I can only afford to spend $300 or less, which I'm aware gives me a considerable amount of limitations. An 8" sub would be ideal, but 10" would be ok if it was significantly superior in performance. i'd like a musical sounding sub, as i'll be playing DVD-Audio on a regular basis..

here's my current setup:
2 infinity bookshelves
1 klipsch center channel
2 bose cubes for surround

any suggestions? they would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
The HSU STF-1 (8") is probably one of the best in that price range its right at $300, also the Acoustech sub is supposed to be very good, I think it's right around that price point. Also, HSU has B-Stock subs, I bought an STF-2 B-Stock for around $350. If you're willing to stretch the budget a little I think that would be worth it.

M

mercurylines

Audioholic Intern
would you choose that over some of the analog velodyne's in that price range?

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
I've never heard those, so I hope someone else can answer that but I will say, for what it's worth, that I absolutely love my STF-2.

M

mercurylines

Audioholic Intern
thanks for replying. you have a link to that sub?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
There is also the Onyx X-sub (designed by HSU also)....
Really? Designed by Hsu? Do you have a link to that info?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I thought I read somewhere here. Now that you questioned it, I'm second guessing. Let me look. I know that HSU has lent their design time to some other companies, and I thought one was Onyx, but I may be wrong about that.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
PSB's subzeroi

Is a nice tight sub ideal for most music applications. Its fast and handles quick transients very well. I say "most" applications because it will not play extreme lows found in music containing something like pipe organ . You will need a sub with either 12" and around 500.00 to reach that or an 8" sub costing around $1000.00 to get bass response down that low.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Merc;
Check this thread I had running a few months ago that may provide you with some decent information for the type of sub you're looking for.... -TD

C

cyberbri

Banned
The Acoustech H100 supposedly has (partly?) designed by Dr. HSU. At the very least, it uses the same 150w/500w BASH amp as the HSU STF-1.

It normally goes for about $250, although I have seen people talk about getting it from retailers (on ebay) by giving bids/quotes at $200 give or take.

I used to own one. It was very good for a small- to medium-sized room, and good to about 26-27Hz or so. Just don't expect it to "shake" larger rooms, say larger than 13x17. For larger rooms, you need more power and more woofer to get the same amount of bass.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
That's what I thought I read somewhere here. Now that you questioned it, I'm second guessing. Let me look. I know that HSU has lent their design time to some other companies, and I thought one was Onyx, but I may be wrong about that.
The only two that I know of are BIC(Acoustech) and Outlaw. Maybe Onyx is one too, but I have not seen that anywhere.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
silversurfer said:
The only two that I know of are BIC(Acoustech) and Outlaw. Maybe Onyx is one too, but I have not seen that anywhere.
I checked around and didn't find anything, so I must have been thinking about Outlaw.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Outlaw's little sub supposedly does quite well too.

M

mercurylines

Audioholic Intern
thanks guys. you've given me a lot to read. i'll be picking up one of these real soon.

M

mercurylines

Audioholic Intern
OK- I've narrowed it down to one of these three subs. which do you guys think is the best?

1) Velodyne 10" Subwoofer (VRP-1000)
2) HSU STF-1
3) Bic Acoustech H-100

Thanks again guys
Jon

C

cyberbri

Banned
How big is your room?

I don't know about the Velodyne, but the 8" STF-1 and the 12" H100 use the same 150w/500w BASH amp. The H100 will probably go a bit lower than the STF-1. My old H100 was pretty good to about 27-28Hz in my old (leaky) room, with roll-off after that till about 24-25Hz and not much below that. The HSU website lists the STF-1 as good to 32Hz +/-2dB, so in-room you will probably get good output to 29-30Hz or so. Either the HSU or Acoustech would be good performers.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
mercurylines said:
hey folks
I don't have too much money to spend, but my home theater is in dire need of a sub. I can only afford to spend $300 or less, which I'm aware gives me a considerable amount of limitations. An 8" sub would be ideal, but 10" would be ok if it was significantly superior in performance. i'd like a musical sounding sub, as i'll be playing DVD-Audio on a regular basis..

here's my current setup:
2 infinity bookshelves
1 klipsch center channel
2 bose cubes for surround

any suggestions? they would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon

Save abit more and get a nice SVS Any $300 or less sub will be limited.

C

cyberbri

Banned
There are other brands out there besides SVS.
HSU, Onix/Rocket (AV123.com), Axiom, Velodyne, ACI, and many more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis