Need a small center.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, I've got a good 4.1 system in my office (specifics in my sig), but I'm wondering if I should go full 5.1.

I've got a nice phantom center, but wifey has issues hearing dialog sometimes (I do as well on occasion) so I need a small center.

I found this one from monoprice that looks decent, but I'm wondering if you guys have any other thoughts. Size needs to be as close as possible to the linked speaker.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How 'bout NHT Supercenter? Only marginally larger than the monoprice speaker

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
@KEW was finding some good deals on Infinity closeouts as I recall....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't heard that Monoprice center speaker, but I have heard the MP-T65RT towers also sold my Monoprice. They're OK, especially considering their low price. They don't seem to have highly noticeable flaws, but they do seem to be limited in power handling, the ability to be loud without distorting. This may or may not be a problem when they're combined with the left & right front speakers you already have.

Also their cabinets are thin walled and light weight. That may be less of a problem for small center speakers than for the towers.

The NHT SuperCenters are more robust, can go louder, and are more expensive.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I haven't heard that Monoprice center speaker, but I have heard the MP-T65RT towers also sold my Monoprice. They're OK, especially considering their low price. They don't seem to have highly noticeable flaws, but they do seem to be limited in power handling, the ability to be loud without distorting. This may or may not be a problem when they're combined with the left & right front speakers you already have.

Also their cabinets are thin walled and light weight. That may be less of a problem for small center speakers than for the towers.

The NHT SuperCenters are more robust, can go louder, and are more expensive.
For an MTM center, you are really going to want a low pass filter on the woofers, or else lobing will go very high up in frequency, especially with 4" woofers. See the Dayton B452-Air Center. The damage done to the off-axis response is considerable.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
For an MTM center, you are really going to want a low pass filter on the woofers, or else lobing will go very high up in frequency, especially with 4" woofers. See the Dayton B452-Air Center. The damage done to the off-axis response is considerable.
Good point. You're right.

I hadn't thought of the fact that this center speaker lets the two mid-woofers run full range instead of limiting their higher frequencies, as most speakers do. In that case, I think the NHT SuperCenter speaker might be a good solution for the OP. I believe this speaker does have a low pass filter for the mid-woofers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Good point. You're right.

I hadn't thought of the fact that this center speaker lets the two mid-woofers run full range instead of limiting their higher frequencies, as most speakers do. In that case, I think the NHT SuperCenter speaker might be a good solution for the OP. I believe this speaker does have a low pass filter for the mid-woofers.
I am sure the NHT center has a low-pass filter for the woofers! However, a better solution might actually be to just use a bookshelf speaker on its side. It's off-axis response will not be great in that orientation, but it could easily be better than a MTM center.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am sure the NHT center has a low-pass filter for the woofers! However, a better solution might actually be to just use a bookshelf speaker on its side. It's off-axis response will not be great in that orientation, but it could easily be better than a MTM center.
I would, but I'm very space limited. I think I may try the Yamaha or Monoprice just due to the low price. If they don't cut it then the NHT will be at the top of the list.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So, I've got a good 4.1 system in my office (specifics in my sig), but I'm wondering if I should go full 5.1.

I've got a nice phantom center, but wifey has issues hearing dialog sometimes (I do as well on occasion) so I need a small center.

I found this one from monoprice that looks decent, but I'm wondering if you guys have any other thoughts. Size needs to be as close as possible to the linked speaker.
Similar in size, never heard it, but hear good things about it
http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@KEW was nice enough to gift me a good center. Turns out to be a Jamo A 3CEN.4 and it sounds pretty good. Wife is happier that she can hear dialog better.

What I'm going to do now is decide what final set of speakers need to go in this office. Looking like DIY is the way, but I've got little time and a long list of things to do before I get to them. Plus, it's too damn hot outside right now.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are awesome.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW was nice enough to gift me a good center. Turns out to be a Jamo A 3CEN.4 and it sounds pretty good. Wife is happier that she can hear dialog better.

What I'm going to do now is decide what final set of speakers need to go in this office. Looking like DIY is the way, but I've got little time and a long list of things to do before I get to them. Plus, it's too damn hot outside right now.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are awesome.
Glad you and your wife are enjoying it!
Don't ask me why I was keeping an odd-ball center! "Because it sounds good" doesn't fully qualify ... I just did not like the idea of it ending up in the dump! Thanks for giving me an alternative!
... and when you upgrade, you are stuck with throwing in the dump or finding a better alternative - HA!
Sucks to be you!:p:D

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Glad you and your wife are enjoying it!
Don't ask me why I was keeping an odd-ball center! "Because it sounds good" doesn't fully qualify ... I just did not like the idea of it ending up in the dump! Thanks for giving me an alternative!
... and when you upgrade, you are stuck with throwing in the dump or finding a better alternative - HA!
Sucks to be you!:p:D
Pfft. Like I throw away speakers that work. ;)
It'll just get added to the large selection of unused speakers I already have. Funny enough, I usually always need a test speaker for one reason or another.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis