Need a budget vcr player that has crystal clear sound

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The trouble with dbx 2 used on some cassette decks and VCR, is that it doubles frequency response errors, between the record and playback signals. It is also not immune from pumping. When it comes to tape, I only got really good results from well set up reel to reel machines running at 15 ips loaded with professional mastering quality tape.
I did notice that DBX can sound like there are compression issues which I did not notice with Dolby-C. Did a great job of eliminating tape hiss, though. I would never expect a cassette deck or even helical recorded VHS to outperform a good reel to reel. Not in the consumer market any way. I played in a band that had a 16 track tape recorder that surprisingly used a helical flying record head like a VCR but with smaller tape cases. It was pro gear specifically designed for audio, so the quality was excellent. I don't recall noticing any loss in quality when down mixing but I'm not sure how many levels deep we went on any particular track. Nice compact board for a home studio.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I also have one of those Panasonic DAT recorders, in the rig. The problem is that those small cassettes make the small rotating heads prone to fouling and drop outs. I found that those machines were not a reliable alternative to reel to reel machines like the VHS PCM system was.

You can see the Panasonic DAT in the second rack, it is the bottom unit. Above that is the computer for the digital audio work station, above that an old Marantz CD player/recorder, and above that the RME DAC for the DAW. If you want to make good audio recordings, there is nothing better than a well designed and built DAW, and an RME DAC/mixer.
WOW! I'm more than impressed with that rig! It would fill up my living room in my condo. So what speakers are you using?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis