Need a 5 channel amp.

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Hello group!

This is what I have now:
McIntosh MX135, pre amp with RCA/XLR outs.
McIntosh MC126, amplifier 80 watts x 6
B&W 683 fronts, HTM61, 684 rear, Supercube reference x 2.
I want to replace that amp, it sounds great to me, but it's not very powerful. (I can not bridge it to 275w x 3 because B&W go as low as 3ohms)
I cant afford a MC205.
So what is there that is not going to break the bank?
I really like how my MC126 sounds, specially when listening to stereo sound, its really good. (To me)
Rotel 1585?
Monolith 200x5??
Emotiva???
Old Parasound or old Krell????
Or do I have to wait and try to get a Mcintosh amp?

Thank you!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello group!

This is what I have now:
McIntosh MX135, pre amp with RCA/XLR outs.
McIntosh MC126, amplifier 80 watts x 6
B&W 683 fronts, HTM61, 684 rear, Supercube reference x 2.
I want to replace that amp, it sounds great to me, but it's not very powerful. (I can not bridge it to 275w x 3 because B&W go as low as 3ohms)
I cant afford a MC205.
So what is there that is not going to break the bank?
I really like how my MC126 sounds, specially when listening to stereo sound, its really good. (To me)
Rotel 1585?
Monolith 200x5??
Emotiva???
Old Parasound or old Krell????
Or do I have to wait and try to get a Mcintosh amp?

Thank you!!
Monolith 200x5 would be my choice. Just tell yourself a white lie, that it is a McIntosh, and it will sound the same, because it will be the B&W683 making the sound...

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Monolith 200x5 would be my choice. Just tell yourself a white lie, that it is a McIntosh, and it will sound the same, because it will be the B&W683 making the sound...
HAHA, I bet...
I tried the Crowns x 3, they sounded really good, then I got the Mcintosh gear, and it sounded better.
There is a good deal for a Rotel 1585 around my area, about the same than the Monolith.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Some people swear by Emotiva, is that because its what they own?
Probably. I think we're are all that way a little. We wave flags for what we like.

That Rotel amp is nice, but it's $3000.00.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's your goal? Are you experiencing distortion/clipping at higher playback levels now?

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
What's your goal? Are you experiencing distortion/clipping at higher playback levels now?
When listening to stereo mode, the amp sounds like is not really driving the B&W 683 with authority.
It's like when you add a headphone amp to a DAP, at the same volume it just sounds fuller.
The MC126 for movies sound good, but probably because the LFE going to the subs picks up a lot of the work.

Pablo2k

Pablo2k

Audioholic
Probably. I think we're are all that way a little. We wave flags for what we like.

That Rotel amp is nice, but it's $3000.00.
I see one for half the price, that' why I asked.
But a lot of people say Rotel is just a name and that you can accomplished the same with other brands for much less.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When listening to stereo mode, the amp sounds like is not really driving the B&W 683 with authority.
It's like when you add a headphone amp to a DAP, at the same volume it just sounds fuller.
The MC126 for movies sound good, but probably because the LFE going to the subs picks up a lot of the work.
Sorry, don't have any idea what you mean by "not really driving....with authority". I don't use headphones. You could be describing all kinds of things unrelated to amp power.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But a lot of people say Rotel is just a name and that you can accomplished the same with other brands for much less.
That's why one should not go by hearsay. Once you get pass the point of diminishing returns, what others tell you are their subjective views.

Emo, Monolith, NAD, Rotel, Anthem, Outlaw, ATI, parasound all make affordable power amps, they all have their followers. Specs and measurements are more reliable, objectively speaking.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Unless some of us work in audio for a living most of us probably only have a small amount of experience with a small amount of manufacturers. So advice on a forum is just a step up from asking someone off the street really. I can tell you what I like and don't like, but there are so many brands that I have never touched and will never be able to call myself an expert. But if several people tell you brand X is great, it probably is.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would keep the McIntosh 80x6 amp.

Those speakers are 89dB/2.83v/m, which is relatively efficient.

Set them to small, XO to 120Hz, let your subs do all the heavy lifting, and keep the McIntosh 80 WPC amp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I would keep the McIntosh 80x6 amp.

Those speakers are 89dB/2.83v/m, which is relatively efficient.

Set them to small, XO to 120Hz, let your subs do all the heavy lifting, and keep the McIntosh 80 WPC amp.
Likely it's fine. The B&W isn't easy to drive though, but the Mac can drive it fully. Before I invest in more electronics, I'd upgrade the speakers or for sure the sub. That's your ROI.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want to replace that amp, it sounds great to me, but it's not very powerful.
Here's the thing. If your speakers truly sound GREAT, then the amp is most likely powerful ENOUGH.

If the amp is truly running out of juice, then your speakers will probably sound bad.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Likely it's fine. The B&W isn't easy to drive though, but the Mac can drive it fully. Before I invest in more electronics, I'd upgrade the speakers or for sure the sub. That's your ROI.
This ^^^!

The 600 series B&Ws are decent speakers, but I wouldn't invest McIntosh level $$ on electronics/power to push them....if he just wants to upgrade the amp, the Monoprice is an easy answer, but it can be a tough sell when Krell, McIntosh, etc. your idea of top shelf SQ.

But if he wants to upgrade SQ...you said it best...upgrade those B&Ws.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
That's why one should not go by hearsay. Once you get pass the point of diminishing returns, what others tell you are their subjective views.

Emo, Monolith, NAD, Rotel, Anthem, Outlaw, ATI, parasound all make affordable power amps, they all have their followers. Specs and measurements are more reliable, objectively speaking.
I understand Emo, to some degree monolith, but others like Anthem would not call exactly 'affordable'. Their mca 525 costs almost £4000 in UK. Dont know if they have a lower model line.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understand Emo, to some degree monolith, but others like Anthem would not call exactly 'affordable'. Their mca 525 costs almost £4000 in UK. Dont know if they have a lower model line.
Curious, are Emotiva and the Monoprice Monolith amps available at relatively affordable prices in the UK? Or even ATI or Outlaw?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
All available. But prices are a bit up in £ comparing to what you guys have in US in $. On affordability, i bought emo xpa5 gen 3 for £1700.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis