Nearly 12 years since I posted on here. On the market for a refurbished or used receiver.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
I had an Onkyo RX-NR709 which was purchased refurbished and it had a good run but it stopped working some time ago. I really miss my SVS PC13's bass so I need to get this 5.1 back and running.

For a few years now I've been using my JBL party box 710 via auxiliary connection which is solid but not as good as my 5.1.

I'm seeing a lot of used Yamaha receivers for about 100 bucks I just need any solid 5.1 since I have a Emotiva XPA-5 to lower my speakers.

Any website recommendations or model recommendations?

I'm okay with spending $100 to $200 bucks. Or open to hear what others think.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have a high resolution display to use with the PS5? Is that a hard budget due to finances or do you have room to up that amount? With modern video equipment you want HDMI 2.1 support so personally I would not recommend an older AVR. You want something that supports the latest HDCP specs. You can purchase refurb units on accesoories4less or if you have something used in mind maybe post a link to the ad here and members can comment on whether it's a good purchase or not.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Do you have a high resolution display to use with the PS5? Is that a hard budget due to finances or do you have room to up that amount? With modern video equipment you want HDMI 2.1 support so personally I would not recommend an older AVR. You want something that supports the latest HDCP specs. You can purchase refurb units on accesoories4less or if you have something used in mind maybe post a link to the ad here and members can comment on whether it's a good purchase or not.
Thanks didn't think about that! My LG TV is about 5 years old(4K). I was thinking to keep it low since I rarely get to use it but can look into more expensive options since it makes more sense. Any recommendations off the bat? I'll look on the site you mentioned.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern

How about this one? Specs seem solid and low price

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

How about this one? Specs seem solid and low price
Not if you want to use external amps, no full set of pre-outs. Fairly common on the lower tier units from avr companies these days to not have a full set of pre-outs, generally have to go up the ladder a bit. With Denon in recent years you generally would need X3xxx and above models for a full set of pre-outs to use your XPA5.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Not if you want to use external amps, no full set of pre-outs. Fairly common on the lower tier units from avr companies these days to not have a full set of pre-outs, generally have to go up the ladder a bit. With Denon in recent years you generally would need X3xxx and above models for a full set of pre-outs to use your XPA5.
Well wow glad I got back on this forum! Thanks so much. Any recommendations? Definitely need the Emotiva to connect. Can't listen without it and go back to the receiver powering my speakers(weak sauce).

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
To confirm I'm looking for something that has a "zone 2" connection?

Would something like this receiver work?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Need to go further up the Onkyo lineup for a full set of pre-outs. Looks like there is a set of front channel (L/R) pre-outs if you forego the line outs for zone (shared rcas for that, has dedicated sub pre-outs). Do you want the avr to power the zone or you have another 2ch amp for that or ?

Last edited:
C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Need to go further up the Onkyo lineup for a full set of pre-outs. Looks like there is a set of front channel (L/R) pre-outs if you forego the line outs for zone (shared rcas for that, has dedicated sub pre-outs). Do you want the avr to power the zone or you have another 2ch amp for that or ?
Nope definitely want the amp to power all 5 speakers. The Emotiva I have is a 5 channel amp. I guess I'm not sure what to look for under specifications to find the right receiver.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Nope definitely want the amp to power all 5 speakers. The Emotiva I have is a 5 channel amp. I guess I'm not sure what to look for under specifications to find the right receiver.
Look at pics of the back panels for full preouts if you don't feel like reading the specs.
Your original claim of wanting to spend 100 to 200 dollars is a fantasy though...full preouts these days are in the region of 1000 and up.
Even used, 100 to 200 is going to be hard to find.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The boys are correct. First Denon model with full pre-outs appears to be the X3800H which Accessories4Less has for $1,099. Might take some digging to find a used unit with full pre-outs. Note that it is not Zone 2 that you want. You want a full set of pre-amp out jacks like below (back of 3800H). The Zone 2 feature allows you to power a second pair of speakers in another location.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Look at pics of the back panels for full preouts if you don't feel like reading the specs.
Your original claim of wanting to spend 100 to 200 dollars is a fantasy though...full preouts these days are in the region of 1000 and up.
Even used, 100 to 200 is going to be hard to find.
Oh man yeah that's a lot. Maybe I'll look into fixing my receiver. It turns on it's just no audio. Damn this is disappointing. Now I understand what to look for so I'll keep an eye out but not getting my hopes up. I guess I'll just stick to the JBL 710 for now.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
usaudiomart.com is my preferred place to look for used gear. If you search Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, stick to sellers that are local.
Here is a Denon AVR-3500H in Texas for $500. 4K capable and HDCP 2.2.
If you can afford $1,000, this Marantz Cimema 30 is a good AVR.
The Anthem MRX-700 looks to be too old a model.
Appreciate it! Now I know what to look for Thanks so much for showing that picture. I'll keep looking maybe I'll get lucky and find someone local selling something. But yeah definitely don't want to spend 1K since I won't be able to fully utilize this thing but the time I have at the moment.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Appreciate it! Now I know what to look for Thanks so much for showing that picture. I'll keep looking maybe I'll get lucky and find someone local selling something. But yeah definitely don't want to spend 1K since I won't be able to fully utilize this thing but the time I have at the moment.
Of course you could always ditch that Emotiva (while it still works) and go with your Denon suggestion.
Doubt you will miss it, unless you want ear bleeding volume.
Certainly better than a "party box" whatever that is.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Of course you could always ditch that Emotiva (while it still works) and go with your Denon suggestion.
Doubt you will miss it, unless you want ear bleeding volume.
Certainly better than a "party box" whatever that is.
Ahh yes I want extreme bleeding powerful crops sounds! Big deep My wife's painting shattering bass...

Yeah you should look up the JBL party box 710. It's extremely loud and has been supplementary for my music need for a while now. Nothing beats the Emotiva power though.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
You are definitely on the wrong forums to sing the praises of that monstrosity ! :)
Haha well that's why I'm back!... and I shouldn't be shocked that the prices have dramatically increased since the last time I've been in the market. I'll keep looking for a receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No speakers in zone 2? Just the 5 in the main zone? For the Onkyo pictured it has line outs for zone, which would need its own amp.....

J

John Lohmann

Audioholic
You want my advice? Try to have the Onkyo repaired. I'm going to do the same with my 2007-era TX-SR605.

I'm in a similar situation, OP, in that I recently bought a Denon X2800 to replace this Onkyo (after it exhibited a steadily-malfunctioning HDMI out, or so I think) and feel like we are not using the capabilities of this seven-channel Atmos AVR. Cost us nearly 1K (via Amazon; no sale prices anywhere else at the time) and I feel like we just don't need its technical prowess, given the fact that we're running a 5.1 system and are totally fine with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis