Navigating options in new home

D

dyrewolf31

Audiophyte
I just moved into a new house which is great, except I don't have anywhere to install my home theater setup from the last house. I have a Denon AVR-X2700W which has served me well, a Klipsch G-42 soundbar, and a subwoofer. The new house has a massive built-in which physically can't fit the receiver (depth), and the TV opening barely fits our 65" TV (no room for soundbar more than ~3" high). We used in-ceiling speakers for rear channels in our last house.

The new house doesn't have rear channels in the TV room, but there are 2 areas of the drywall that were clearly in-wall speakers at some point (big drywall patch areas, like 16x12).

There is an unfinished basement so it's possible to get into these walls without moving mountains. I could potentially rack my receiver in the basement, but that would mean a lot of new wiring.

Semi-related, the old owners had 3 rooms wired with Gen 1 Sonos Connect Amps which they left behind.

So my options as I see it:

1) Rely on the Samsung TV speaker alone for family room and keep other 3 rooms separate

2) Buy $5000 worth of new Sonos (or similar) gear to give me 5.1 in the family room and support the add'l 3 rooms with existing speakers (unlikely considering cost)

3) Buy a new soundbar and run sub and rear channel off wireless ($500-2000) in the family room; keep other 3 rooms separate

4) Buy a Sonos soundbar and sub (Gen 1 used?); reinstall in-wall speakers into old openings in family room and buy a used Sonos Gen 1 amp to power it; run entire house on Sonos S1 app and home theater via ARC

Any ideas welcome! Not an audiophile here, just know enough to get myself into trouble. My wife is really excited about the entire house being on one unified app, so Sonos wins the coinflip.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Depends on what you want to do and spend. Make some house modification to utilize what equipment you have. Try some things. Take some pictures and post here, for suggestive input.

Do you want a 5.1 surround system as your goal?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I just moved into a new house which is great, except I don't have anywhere to install my home theater setup from the last house. I have a Denon AVR-X2700W which has served me well, a Klipsch G-42 soundbar, and a subwoofer. The new house has a massive built-in which physically can't fit the receiver (depth), and the TV opening barely fits our 65" TV (no room for soundbar more than ~3" high). We used in-ceiling speakers for rear channels in our last house.

The new house doesn't have rear channels in the TV room, but there are 2 areas of the drywall that were clearly in-wall speakers at some point (big drywall patch areas, like 16x12).

There is an unfinished basement so it's possible to get into these walls without moving mountains. I could potentially rack my receiver in the basement, but that would mean a lot of new wiring.

Semi-related, the old owners had 3 rooms wired with Gen 1 Sonos Connect Amps which they left behind.

So my options as I see it:

1) Rely on the Samsung TV speaker alone for family room and keep other 3 rooms separate

2) Buy $5000 worth of new Sonos (or similar) gear to give me 5.1 in the family room and support the add'l 3 rooms with existing speakers (unlikely considering cost)

3) Buy a new soundbar and run sub and rear channel off wireless ($500-2000) in the family room; keep other 3 rooms separate

4) Buy a Sonos soundbar and sub (Gen 1 used?); reinstall in-wall speakers into old openings in family room and buy a used Sonos Gen 1 amp to power it; run entire house on Sonos S1 app and home theater via ARC

Any ideas welcome! Not an audiophile here, just know enough to get myself into trouble. My wife is really excited about the entire house being on one unified app, so Sonos wins the coinflip.
Option 5) Buy a pair of Klipsch The Fives, set them on stands, and plug all your sources directly into them and ditch everything else:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Massive built-in that can't handle the depth of a typical avr sounds not so massive. Far more detailed info/pics are needed, tho.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If the basement is unfinished, then you have a world of options available to you. Yes, it's some work getting all that wiring in place, but it's not the end of the world to do so, and with an IR repeater system, or a good universal remote (or both) you have a ton of very real world options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis