NAD vs AudioControl

X

xcd

Enthusiast
I have a 5.2.4 setup, and am debating between two pro/amp to get.

Option 1: NAD
M17v2 - processor
M27 - 7 channel amp
M22v2 - 2 channel amp for towers

Option 2: AudioControl
Maestro M5 - processor
Savoy G3 - 7 channel amp
Architect 110 - for 2 of the Atmos

I’m leaning towards the NAD. But any thoughts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My thought is, for those gear you'll pay more and get less in terms of features, and values overall. I don't doubt they are well build and will sound great, just that there are much better alternatives in terms of practical values, but that's going to be a subjective matter to some extent. You will likely hear from owners of the M17 and/or M27. I doubt there are many AudioControl users on this forum, hopefully I am wrong.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Audiocontrol amps I'm not overly impressed. I'm feeling they lack some power despite their power ratings.
They are built very well and do sound great when mated with not so difficult speaker loads.
The Processor is a bit plain and clunky to setup. It's stripped down to bare bones and still feels clunky and awkward. But again after calibration and setup it sounds great.
I've been working with Audiocontrol for many years and I keep thinking about them but I never pull the trigger.
NAD is less clunky to setup but still clunky nonetheless. Their amps are powerful and seem to always perform above the power ratings. Awesome head room and awesome dynamic range.

If I was going to choose between these to I would go NAD. I also like the modular setup on the NAD preamp so it can be upgraded by changing out the cards.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I am going to think you are perhaps European or Australian and not North American. Looking at the Nad prices here in the UK I would guess the budget is around the 10K mark.

America has a range of 2,5,7 Channels amp from a number of manufacturers which here in the UK we just don't really get. To import them would be prohibitive since they are usually all Class A/B and extremely heavy. European dealers usually factor this in the cost.

Cannot say I am a great lover of the Nad 17. The V2 I would be unsure about. If it's all about Dirac then fine, but otherwise @ roughly 4.5K there are cheaper, equally good options in Marantz and Yamaha. At the NAD price there is the Anthem AV60 and the Arcam at which point maybe Nad is the better choice.

The M27 on the other hand is brilliant, don't let Peng convince you otherwise. :eek: From my cold dead...The M22 is over priced for just a stereo but should be equally good otherwise.

Audiocontrol Maestro M5 is similarly sporting the Dirac but here in the UK it seems even more expensive than the NAD. The Savoy G3 is actually cheaper than the M27 and would likely work just as as well. Not familiar with Class H models, I am assuming some AB variant similar to the Class G.

If it has to have Dirac then probably the Option 1 but don't discount the Savoy for power. The M27 has one heck of annoying touch power on button. Use the trigger and avoid the hassle. ;)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
@PENG, You pulled the weight comment when you realized it's half the ATI AT52x series?...o_O Fat Toroids I tell ya...:pThe AT54x has more power though, unfortunately I don't think they do a 7 channel for that. :(

Price is fairly similar in the uk, however it wasn't available when I got mine a couple years ago.

X

xcd

Enthusiast
I am going to think you are perhaps European or Australian and not North American. Looking at the Nad prices here in the UK I would guess the budget is around the 10K mark.

America has a range of 2,5,7 Channels amp from a number of manufacturers which here in the UK we just don't really get. To import them would be prohibitive since they are usually all Class A/B and extremely heavy. European dealers usually factor this in the cost.

Cannot say I am a great lover of the Nad 17. The V2 I would be unsure about. If it's all about Dirac then fine, but otherwise @ roughly 4.5K there are cheaper, equally good options in Marantz and Yamaha. At the NAD price there is the Anthem AV60 and the Arcam at which point maybe Nad is the better choice.

The M27 on the other hand is brilliant, don't let Peng convince you otherwise. :eek: From my cold dead...The M22 is over priced for just a stereo but should be equally good otherwise.

Audiocontrol Maestro M5 is similarly sporting the Dirac but here in the UK it seems even more expensive than the NAD. The Savoy G3 is actually cheaper than the M27 and would likely work just as as well. Not familiar with Class H models, I am assuming some AB variant similar to the Class G.

If it has to have Dirac then probably the Option 1 but don't discount the Savoy for power. The M27 has one heck of annoying touch power on button. Use the trigger and avoid the hassle. ;)
I am actually in the US. What brand would you recommend over the NAD for the processor?

Other 2 brands in looking at are Audio Control and Lyngdorf

X

xcd

Enthusiast
Audiocontrol amps I'm not overly impressed. I'm feeling they lack some power despite their power ratings.
They are built very well and do sound great when mated with not so difficult speaker loads.
The Processor is a bit plain and clunky to setup. It's stripped down to bare bones and still feels clunky and awkward. But again after calibration and setup it sounds great.
I've been working with Audiocontrol for many years and I keep thinking about them but I never pull the trigger.
NAD is less clunky to setup but still clunky nonetheless. Their amps are powerful and seem to always perform above the power ratings. Awesome head room and awesome dynamic range.

If I was going to choose between these to I would go NAD. I also like the modular setup on the NAD preamp so it can be upgraded by changing out the cards.
Is there anything roughly in the class class you like better? How’s Lyngdorf?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn’t NAD have reliable concerns ?

Or have they resolved this?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG, You pulled the weight comment when you realized it's half the ATI AT52x series?...o_O Fat Toroids I tell ya...:pThe AT54x has more power though, unfortunately I don't think they do a 7 channel for that. :(

Price is fairly similar in the uk, however it wasn't available when I got mine a couple years ago.
That weight comment was reserved for their class AB amps, not applicable to class D nc amps. I always thought ATI made their amps unnecessarily heavy, but I bet their 7 channel AT527NC are more reliable.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Since @xcd you are in the US then there should be good range of worthy alternatives to the NAD or Audiocontol. The ATI AT527NC is like the NAD M27, a Hypex Ncore Class D design so if that's not an issue, that should be an equally good alternative. It is a flexible option offering 2-8 channel configuration.

My Nad has worked flawlessly for 2 years with pretty much extensive daily use. I have no plans on replacing it. My reservations regarding the M17 are largely about the delays in releasing the software/Hardware updates promised. The M17v2 addresses much of this, but I think we are still waiting for any definitive reviews.

If we need to consider the aesthetics, as well as Dirac, then the options are somewhat reduced. I can understand the Nad/Audiocontrol options on that basis. Arcam AVR850 could therefore be an option. Emotiva's XMC-1 also has matching amplifiers although unfortunately it is only a 7.2. The new, yet to be released Emotiva RMC-1 resolves this problem at an increased price ~5K but does 16 channels. Theta and Datasat also have Dirac offerings although the price is much higher. ATI has the ATP16 which will also have Dirac, but I am not sure when this will be out or how much.

If Dirac is not a stumbling block then a few more options open up. Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Anthem, Rotel and there are probably some others. I do not think Denon has currently does a processor, top of their line would be the AVC X8500h with 13.2 capablities.

Lyngdorf is a fair jump up over the Nad and Audiocontrol and a lot more in the Theta/Datasat realm. ADTG should be able to navigate that area much better than I. It is very pretty though. :)

X

xcd

Enthusiast
Lyngdorf is a fair jump up over the Nad and Audiocontrol and a lot more in the Theta/Datasat realm. ADTG should be able to navigate that area much better than I. It is very pretty though. :)

What about the Lyngdorf that makes it a big jump from the NAD? In what areas does it do well, compared to the NAD?

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
In the Uk we get punished good or bad. :mad: Everything is overpriced and taxed.

Lyngdorf would get my vote too if the price is not a problem. It's RoomPerfect rather than the Dirac, has I think the option for 13 possibly 16 configuration so would be likely a more flexible setup than the Nad.

I don't dislike any of the choices, but it's not my cash to spend and think it is probably going to be a setup to garner envy and impress. :D

Out of interest what is the speaker selection looking like?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Between the 2, my vote is for the Maestro M5 Pre-pro.

Spec-wise, they are similar: 11Ch Atmos, DTSX, Dirac, XLR, $6K.

I prefer the aesthetics of the M5 and the 5YR warranty over the NAD (3YR warranty).

X

xcd

Enthusiast
In the Uk we get punished good or bad. :mad: Everything is overpriced and taxed.

Lyngdorf would get my vote too if the price is not a problem. It's RoomPerfect rather than the Dirac, has I think the option for 13 possibly 16 configuration so would be likely a more flexible setup than the Nad.

I don't dislike any of the choices, but it's not my cash to spend and think it is probably going to be a setup to garner envy and impress. :D

Out of interest what is the speaker selection looking like?
Speakers are Sonus Faber Sonetto

What about the Lyngdorf amps? SDA-2400. Should I get those over the NAD amps? Since the Lyngdorf are 2 channel only I need a whole stack of them to drive 9 channels of my home theater

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I had just read on the AVS Nad thread that the Nad M17v2 does not currently support Dts:X. I thought it was doing this already with the old M17. :confused: I checked the Nad site and find no mention of it there either. So that could be a point against it. :(

I am sure the SDA 2400s would be fine. I have no experience with any of the Lyngdorf product unfortunately. :(My higher end experience is somewhat limited the Nad M27. I like them, others are less fond. ATI are good alternative for probably the Class D and certainly the heavy weight ABs and they do manufacture for a number other high end brands. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis