NAD Masters Series M10 Ordered!

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Comes in tomorrow and I'm pretty stoked! Going from the world of avr's to my first integrated amp so if there are tips I'm not aware of please let me know. Additionally, if anyone has questions about it I'm happy to try and answer from a layman point of view.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hope it meets yer expectations. I wouldn't do it, I'd go separates if I'm going to get silly with how many boxes it takes :)

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Hope it meets yer expectations. I wouldn't do it, I'd go separates if I'm going to get silly with how many boxes it takes :)
Yeah if you're willing to mess with all the hardware, wires, larger footprint, etc then there's more options especially if you're pushing some bigger stuff. This is just replacing a Sony DN1080 avr in the living room and powering some mid tier floor speakers so I'm sure it's plenty powerful.

Now if it doesn't sound noticeably different than the avr then I'll be sending it back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah if you're willing to mess with all the hardware, wires, larger footprint, etc then there's more options especially if you're pushing some bigger stuff. This is just replacing a Sony DN1080 avr in the living room and powering some mid tier floor speakers so I'm sure it's plenty powerful.

Now if it doesn't sound noticeably different than the avr then I'll be sending it back.
Already gone from using my separates to avrs...still have the separates but use the avrs mostly. Never really bothered with the integrated amp thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Pushing bigger stuff means what? Usually bigger stuff is easier to drive, Hoffman's Iron Law and all that...

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Already gone from using my separates to avrs...still have the separates but use the avrs mostly. Never really bothered with the integrated amp thing.
Good to hear your experience. Honestly, I'm just trying to find a balance between quality vs quantity and a lot of times it feels like I'm paying more for dolby licensing fees and 11-channels when I only use 2 of them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meaning when I read/hear folks say their speakers are "hungry."
So speakers designed with low impedance and odd phase angles? Or just imaginary needs of those who think bigger amps solve everything?

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
So speakers designed with low impedance and odd phase angles? Or just imaginary needs of those who think bigger amps solve everything?
I guess that's on the person saying/writing it and like most things in audio it's subjective. Some people think because their speakers are 10ft tall they need a ton of power or the guy using a pair of Logitech speakers in an apartment bathroom thinking they need a $6K avr to power them. Hell, you can enrage hundreds of people just discussing audio cable quality ha.

Regardless of charts or graphs there's so many variables that it takes trial and error with your specific setup at the end of the day. Fighting the placebo effect is the hardest part because everyone wants to justify their expensive purchase even if a $100 product sounds 90% as good as the other $6K one especially if all you watch is YouTube ha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess that's on the person saying/writing it and like most things in audio it's subjective. Some people think because their speakers are 10ft tall they need a ton of power or the guy using a pair of Logitech speakers in an apartment bathroom thinking they need a $6K avr to power them. Hell, you can enrage hundreds of people just discussing audio cable quality ha.

Regardless of charts or graphs there's so many variables that it takes trial and error with your specific setup at the end of the day. Fighting the placebo effect is the hardest part because everyone wants to justify their expensive purchase even if a $100 product sounds 90% as good as the other $6K one especially if all you watch is YouTube ha.
Well I find a few things in audio subjective, like transducers. Rooms, too. Amps are trivial in comparison. Trial and error is a poor way of going about things in audio when it comes to finding some sort of "magic" amp and speaker combo....more urban myth. Anyone who gets enraged over some silly cables is just a reflection of the idiocy involved. Giving into the placebo encouraged by others, meh.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m most likely moving to an apartment or townhouse in the near future and the NAD M10 looks enticing. I would think Dirac would give a little better control of a subwoofer which would be important if sharing walls with neighbors. In my opinion the M10 is an AVR, it’s just a two channel AVR with all the bells and whistles of a flagship AVR. What I’m curious about is if it’s 2.1 or 2.2 and can the M10 be upgraded to full Dirac because it comes with a light version.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
I’m most likely moving to an apartment or townhouse in the near future and the NAD M10 looks enticing. I would think Dirac would give a little better control of a subwoofer which would be important if sharing walls with neighbors. In my opinion the M10 is an AVR, it’s just a two channel AVR with all the bells and whistles of a flagship AVR. What I’m curious about is if it’s 2.1 or 2.2 and can the M10 be upgraded to full Dirac because it comes with a light version.
Exactly my thought process on its avr type prowess. As far as subs it does have proper dual sub support but I believe you have to run Dirac to enable them and yes NAD says you can upgrade to the full version of Dirac if you want.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Got the M10 and that was short lived ha. Literally the only thing I use is an AppleTV and the volume adjustment is so laggy on the M10 it's unreal. Wouldn't be a big deal but this is in the family room so the volume is used a lot and the fact that these two pieces of hardware don't play well together is a deal breaker. At least one person reported this issue upon research as well. I know some of you might think I'm nitpicking and I don't blame the M10 but for $3K it feels wrong to keep it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got the M10 and that was short lived ha. Literally the only thing I use is an AppleTV and the volume adjustment is so laggy on the M10 it's unreal. Wouldn't be a big deal but this is in the family room so the volume is used a lot and the fact that these two pieces of hardware don't play well together is a deal breaker. At least one person reported this issue upon research as well. I know some of you might think I'm nitpicking and I don't blame the M10 but for $3K it feels wrong to keep it.
Nah it should practically give you head for that price....

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Bummer to hear about the volume lag. Is that with the apple tv 4k? I am going to try one in our living room. It ticks all the boxes for me in the living room:
-small (trying to have something smaller than a receiver)
-Room correction (dirac is a plus)
-Roon ready. We are about 50/50 music/tv or streaming in this room and use Roon. Having it switch automatically when you play music to the lan/roon input is important
-Enough power. It is based on the hypex nc252 which is a 250w module into 4ohms
-HDMI
But the laggy volume is really a shame. Mine will be here tomorrow and will get it set up and give it a week or two to see if it stays.
Right now I’m using the Sonos Amp which honestly is working pretty well. It basically does everything I need except no room correction. So no room correction but I just put in a few manual EQ filters in roon to cut a few peeks in the low end which works fine.
Will see how it goes when it gets here.
The Sonos Amp is a nice unit, which could stay sounds like. Not a lot of options if you don’t want a receiver.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I have two Apple 4K tv's and they both did it regardless of any audio changes I made on the Apple devices. The unboxing experience was really cool though.
Keep me posted on your experience and how the Sonos Amp compares to it.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Yeah I have two Apple 4K tv's and they both did it regardless of any audio changes I made on the Apple devices. The unboxing experience was really cool though.
Keep me posted on your experience and how the Sonos Amp compares to it.
Were using ARC to control volume or how did you have it set up?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The volume "lag" isn't that at all! I've had an M10 for 2 years as of this very day and love it.

What took a little time to adjust to is that the volume control is not like others. Though they say it's "linear", I refer to it as being "logarithmic." As you go up, it get louder faster. Get near the top and it will blow my eardrums out.

I use mine controlling it with either the desktop BluOS app or the mobile app on my tablet or phone. I love it, and the sound quality is incredible. I have had ZERO problems or issues with it. OK, there was one update they did with the firmware that put the display into a "light" mode that I hated. The complaints poured in and the issued another update to fix it within days.

Been fine since.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
The volume "lag" isn't that at all! I've had an M10 for 2 years as of this very day and love it.

What took a little time to adjust to is that the volume control is not like others. Though they say it's "linear", I refer to it as being "logarithmic." As you go up, it get louder faster. Get near the top and it will blow my eardrums out.

I use mine controlling it with either the desktop BluOS app or the mobile app on my tablet or phone. I love it, and the sound quality is incredible. I have had ZERO problems or issues with it. OK, there was one update they did with the firmware that put the display into a "light" mode that I hated. The complaints poured in and the issued another update to fix it within days.

Been fine since.
Do you have it hooked up to a display/tv?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis