NAD M17 v2 11.1CH Atmos Processor with Dirac room correction.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I've heard a few NAD AVP + AMP.

I do like their simple aesthetics.

They don't sound any better or worse than other AVR/AVP.

But for $6K, I expect a lot more than some afterthoughts.

Heck, for $2K I would be complaining about the XLR adapters. :D

When I saw that part, I thought the reviewer was joking or talking about some other adapters I would never use. But for XLR that I would be using 100% off the time?

At least the Amp doesn't require any XLR-adapters. Right? :eek:

If only ATI could get Monoprice their $4K HTP-1 AVP quickly so AH could do a review. I expect no XLR-adapters on the Monolith HTP-1. :D
This M series is really quite a bit different from their receivers. We can argue until we are blue in the face if one product sounds better than another, but I can say this, the parts inside this processor are better than what are in their receivers and in most other receivers. They currently are using are really good Ti BB DAC, mostly in dual differential mode across the main channels, and are moving toward top of the line ESS Sabre dac's instead. Probably far more important, the analog circuit uses a really good opamp with among the best noise performance in the business. And it has Bluesound.

Now compare the Marantz you mentioned, they have fine DAC's but often not as good. They often aren't true balanced but use a cheap converter chip. They have HDAM, which is conceptually nice, but then they stick cheap and noisier opamps on either side of it. What's the point? So while I don't have technical measurements of both to compare (and I'm sure they both measure very good), I can at least say that the visual inspection under the good made me feel better about the NAD than the Marantz.

Marantz uses HEOS, which I find to be aesthetically worse than BlueSound and to generally be of poorer quality. It has more glitches, doesn't currently support HD versions of the streaming services, etc. Bluesound is, as far as I'm concerned, the best of these systems by heads and shoulders. I have had to review products incorporating Sonos, Musicast, HEOS, and Bluesound multiple times over the last 2 years and I keep coming back to Bluesound as my favorite.

DIRAC is better than Audyssey, that is my blunt assessment. While neither is perfect, my experience with both has shown DIRAC to be a lot better. I find it WAY harder to use, I find it glitchier, but the end result is provably better. Not just the flatness of the line, that is in many ways a trick of little significance to sound. It's that DIRAC has made less mistakes in what it corrects and how and does not increase spatial variance. In fact, I've found it often lessens it.

While fairly expensive, the NAD M series amplifiers are awesome. Perfect no, but at that price point, they have a lot of advantages over other options. They use NCore modules custom built under license by NAD. While Gene found issues in the THX assessment of the NAD, He and Greg Stidsen (of NAD) have both commented that the amp was probably faulty. Other than that, the NCore modules are certainly provably excellent and a lot better than the Class AB amps that Marantz uses. The amps are very low noise, high power, and super efficient. Sure there are really good, maybe even better Class AB amps out there. However the cost and inefficiency of equally or better Class AB amps in enough channels for a modern ATMOS theater is an issue for most. 90%+ efficiency vs 50% or less is an issue when you have 11+ channels running on one or two 15-20 amp circuits. As far as I'm concerned, Class D has become a must and Hypex is one of the best module brands out there.

The rest of your complaints are a mix of "sure I agree its weird or not great" to "actually that's more common than you think." HDMI is an issue, but then who knows how common that is and what caused it. I actually have had hands on with most of the new NAD HT gear as I was doing DIRAC setup for them when it first launched. I didn't run into HDMI problems, including with this piece, when I did that. The variety of gear I was hooking up to these was so vast that I feel like if it was widespread, it would have been a common issue. The only two times i ever saw an HDMI issue, it was mostly the fault of the BluRay player and was addressed in one case with a cable swap and in the other with a player swap (That player, a Sony model) had been a problem with a Marantz receiver as well. HDMI handshake is a common problem so I have a hard time faulting companies too much.

The dongles thing is pretty common. A lot of pro-gear uses breakout cables for XLR to save space on the back. What it takes to enlarge the case over certain standard sizes or even bring this gear to market is a lot more of a bear than I ever realized. Remember that NAD adopted a modular architecture to allow upgrades and is one of the only brands on the market to successfully make that work. Other brands that have successfully brought modular designs to market charge multiples of what NAD does. That makes their projects provably future proof. That means no easy ability to do what you suggest.

To pick on Emotiva again, they have brought modular designs to market and yet the products have been glitchy and no modules ever came to market. They also charge $1000 more for the modular version of their new processor.

Having said that, NAD has been, for whatever reason, been unable to build some of their "stuff" into their devices and had cheap goofy dongles hanging off the back for things like WiFi and Bluesound. Sure everyone did that in the early days of wifi and bluetooth, but at this point that isn't common (and strangely, NAD builds all this into their integrated amps and such).

I think owning an NAD is idiosyncratic but I will also say, since I started reviewing and gained inside knowledge of how these products are brought to market, I've come to have a much more understanding view of all this. While I can't share specific details for obvious reasons, what I can say is that we should all be mad at Dolby, who is the worst offender, and HDMI. The licensing and approval process and way in which this happens is awful and basically makes it exceedingly difficult for small companies to bring competent products to market.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. M series...are moving toward top of the line ESS Sabre dac
2. DIRAC is better than Audyssey
3. A lot of pro-gear uses breakout cables for XLR to save space on the back
4. NAD has been been unable to build some of their "stuff" into their devices and had cheap goofy dongles hanging off the back...
1. Are the ESS Sabre DAC similar to the ones in the Yamaha?

2. Definitely can argue all day long about which Room Correction is better. Some will also argue that no RC is the best thing and just EQ the subwoofer bass below 100Hz for preference.

3. We're talking about expensive pretty consumer pre-pro, not some ugly pro amps.

4. No excuse, especially for a $6K high-end pre-pro. Pre-pros from Yamaha, ATI, Marantz, and others don't have this inaptitude.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
1. Are the ESS Sabre DAC similar to the ones in the Yamaha?

2. Definitely can argue all day long about which Room Correction is better. Some will also argue that no RC is the best thing and just EQ the subwoofer bass below 100Hz for preference.

3. We're talking about expensive pretty consumer pre-pro, not some ugly pro amps.

4. No excuse, especially for a $6K high-end pre-pro. Pre-pros from Yamaha, ATI, Marantz, and others don't have this inaptitude.
1) It isn't official yet so I don't know what will go into that. They usually update products in stages. Right now they are using ESS 9008 DAC's in a new Integrated amp believe, the Yamahas uses an older and lower performing 9006. However the M series is a higher end product so I am guessing they will go with something like the 9018. We shall see.
2)Yes, though I was actually talking about straight sound quality of the analog circuit.
3) I understand, but a lot of high end consumer gear does this.
4) I would disagree. Not only has Marantz and Yamaha had their share of issues over the years, but ATI has had as many and more than NAD. You hear about it less because the gear is sold only through pro lines and pro installs where the dealers address the problems, but as someone who has had hands on with some of this with those installers, I am telling you they are not without issues. Remember that until recently the only processors built by ATI were the Theta models and recently the Datasat. Both had lots of problems and the Theta stuff was way delayed because of problems (and didn't launch as a perfect product). Audiocontrol also has had problems with their firmware.

I understand the view that for a given amount of money a product needs to be perfect. You have to look at this differently. We expect and except with cars, for example, that a small boutique brand will charge a fortune and deliver less. Ferrari's are loaded with reliability and drivability problems. Even worse is something like a Morgan, Hennessy, Caterham, even brands like Jaguar, Alfa-Romeo, Tesla, etc. All of these brands simply don't have the resources of the major players to really compete perfectly. This is true in the home theater world. The price of the product is unrelated to the amount of resources available to bring a product like this to market and it shows. NAD (Lenbrook) is a tiny company compared to Sound United (Denon/Marantz), or Yamaha, or Pioneer/Onkyo, etc. All of those companies have a far greater ability to design the hardware and software and far more sway with the licensing groups like Dolby. It's honestly a very unfair playing field. There is good reason why companies such as Lexicon, Krell, Parasound, and Adcom stopped making surround processors and why other companies have repeatedly failed to bring products to market in a timely fashion, and it isn't that they are bad companies. Cards are simply stacked against them. A company as large as Harman had to buy Arcam just to get back into the surround processor business because the time and cost to bring their own product to market would have been too great.

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
I want to chime in on this thread and add that I swapped out the Marantz AV7703 in my home theater for an NAD M17 V2 and am personally impressed by improvement it made to my system. I was impressed enough by the results that I also replaced the Denon AVR-X3500H in my family room as well with a NAD T 758 V3.

Both NAD products sounded better to my ears with my system than the Denon & Marantz processors/receivers. I was expecting Dirac to be an improvement, but the improvements went beyond that... There was a difference between the D&M and NAD products without room correction as well. The difference was substantial once I compared Audyssey & Dirac as well though.

I’m also not experiencing any of the HDMI issues that were mentioned in some of the earlier reviews that I’ve read or watched (see link to Audioholics video where this issue was mentioned). I believe that NAD must have fixed these issues. I specifically tested the “Apple TV Match Dynamic Range” bug that was mentioned on the Audioholics Pre/Pro shootout video on YouTube and can confirm that this issue is either resolved or doesn’t effect my LG 77C9 display.

----

For anyone interested, below is the story of how I accidentally ended up stumbling into my own personal experience with NAD’s excellent sound quality and subsequently swapped out my gear…

This story started with me looking to improve my 2-channel music streaming capabilities. I was previously streaming with Roon via Airplay 2 to my Denon & Marantz processors, but was frustrated after purchasing new speakers that I didn't have a way to stream lossless Hi-Res music (I wanted to test the speakers with reference content that I had grown accustomed to listening to with headphones). Because of this I started shopping around and decided to get a Bluesound NODE 2i; Bluesound is owned by Lenbrook, NAD's parent company.

The NODE 2i impressed me, but I wanted a version of the NODE 2i with room correction... There wasn't at the moment, but within a few days of coming to that realization, NAD announced the release of Dirac Live for their C 658. So, I went and picked up a C 658 locally and replaced the NODE 2i with it. The C 658 sounded excellent with my setup and Dirac was an improvement to my ears compared with my previous experiences with room correction (I’m using Dirac with a miniDSP UMIK-1).

Listening to the C 658 was the first time I believed that sound quality to my ears could be improved compared to my Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha & Integra equipment. I was previously of the opinion that all processors would have barely distinguishable sonic characteristics to my ears with room correction disabled. I A/B tested a number of times to ensure I hooked the equipment up correctly because the NAD sounded that much better to my ears than my Marantz.

I would have been happy enough if my journey ended with the C 658, but the C 658 has a volume bug that NAD is aware of that I didn't wait to get fixed (it sounds like they’ll have it fixed by November/December). I started thinking of what I could do to keep the NAD after now growing accustomed to it. I realized that the simplest solution was likely the best solution... so I just replaced both my Denon receiver & Marantz processor with comparable NAD models mentioned earlier and I couldn't be happier with my personal experience.

It would be great to see some of the professional reviewers at Audioholics do some more in-depth reviews on the NAD M17 V2, T 777 V3, and T 758 V3. They're great, but I haven't seen much beyond Shane stating that it was his favorite processor so far in 2019 in this video:

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
The C 658 was the first time I realized how bad the sound quality was on my Denon & Marantz equipment. I did a bunch of A/B testing and had to check about 10 times to make sure I hadn’t hooked the equipment up incorrectly because the NAD just destroyed the Marantz.
:rolleyes: (sounds almost like one of those paid commercials you see on TV)

I have a hard time with any review that just trashes a particular brand I know to be excellent with things like "how bad" and "destroyed". Sorry, but amplifiers should not change the sound and when people tell me amps make all the difference in the world, it sounds fishy to me. REW graphs don't lie.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I have a hard time with any review that just trashes a particular brand I know to be excellent with things like "how bad" and "destroyed". Sorry, but amplifiers should not change the sound and when people tell me amps make all the difference in the world, it sounds fishy to me. REW graphs don't lie.
Thank goodness I know for a fact that, to me, the Denon AVR-X3400H and X4400H sounded as good as my separates that cost many times more, when compared under the same conditions. Otherwise I would have to rush out to get a couple of NAD T758 to replace not only my D&M my Halo, Bryston, Marantz and Cambridge Audio, oh and Anthem amps. I guess I am lucky to also have a NAD integrated, that also could sound just as good if used within its power limit. What a wonder world, that some people hear no difference and some hear "huge difference" between things that have specs surpass the theoretical human limits.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General

I switched between a Denon and NAD and there is a noticeable “difference” in sound, the Denon being bright. I didn’t listen long enough or know enough to listen for quality differences but the sound is absolutely different between the two.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
If/when you involve room correction as part of the difference, it's hard to say. I got very different results with some slight toe-in changes and running Audyssey again and of course slightly different mic locations can affect it as well. It was too bright the first time (fine with it off), but sounded great the second time. I also preferred reference to flat (flat seemed to get a rise around 10kHz with REW that wasn't there with reference). But we're talking about a few dB at certain frequencies. Other than a room node dip or two, it was within +/- 2.5dB over the vast majority of the range and a measurable improvement over without in frequency response.

I get close to those kind of numbers in my Carver ribbon diploes separates/active crossover system upstairs without correction (+/- 4dB over the entire range down to 27Hz with no room nodes noticeable), but it's a much better room acoustically.

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast

I used the same amp when comparing the Marantz and NAD.

My post wasn’t meant to be an official review... just my opinions. Maybe the Marantz was just a bad pairing with my room and speakers...Let’s leave the official reviews to the pros like the guys at Audioholics

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, good thing most of us here on AH don’t believe crap like that. :D

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
Yeah, good thing most of us here on AH don’t believe crap like that. :D
My apologies to everyone above that I offended with what was intended to be a purely subjective comparison between my own Marantz & NAD processors.
I'm not a professional reviewer and don't claim to be - I just wanted to share my own personal experience.
I am excited about this new processor and wanted to share my enthusiasm for it.
I edited my post above to be significantly more clear that I'm only claiming to prefer the NAD based on my own personal preferences, system, and experience.
I'm just in this to have fun like everyone else here and have zero desire to push my opinions on anyone.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My apologies to everyone above that I offended with what was intended to be a purely subjective comparison between my own Marantz & NAD processors.
I'm not a professional reviewer and don't claim to be - I just wanted to share my own personal experience.
I am excited about this new processor and wanted to share my enthusiasm for it.
I edited my post above to be significantly more clear that I'm only claiming to prefer the NAD based on my own personal preferences, system, and experience.
I'm just in this to have fun like everyone else here and have zero desire to push my opinions on anyone.
You should be excited about your new components.

Everyone should be excited about their new toys.

There are many people who are ecstatic about switching from NAD (or something else) to Marantz or Denon (or something else) and feel like they heard great improvements.:D

For example, I've heard NAD several times. And I would take my Yamaha CX-A5100 100% of the time over any NAD. But that's just my very subjective enthusiastic opinion. :D

There is an AVR/AVP, speaker, amp, sub for everyone.

Now, do you have any REW speaker measurements from your Marantz's Audyssey and NAD's Dirac that you can share? :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You should be excited about your new components.

Everyone should be excited about their new toys.

There are many people who are ecstatic about switching from NAD (or something else) to Marantz or Denon (or something else) and feel like they heard great improvements.:D

For example, I've heard NAD several times. And I would take my Yamaha CX-A5100 100% of the time over any NAD. But that's just my very subjective enthusiastic opinion. :D

There is an AVR/AVP, speaker, amp, sub for everyone.

Now, do you have any REW speaker measurements from your Marantz's Audyssey and NAD's Dirac that you can share? :D
I listened to NAD integrated amps many times, always like them, for their neutrality/transparency. They sound like Denon/Marantz mid range AVRs that are also neutral sounding. Any amps will sound bright if under powered for speakers that need a lot of current for their bass to sound good.

I have never heard any NAD AVRs or processor/preamps. If they are not sonically transparent/neutral with dsp off, I won't buy them.

Matthew's comments about Marantz avp' DAC is interesting and strange. The fact is, all the NAD avrs that I have service manuals for, including the expensive T787, have much lower end DAC than the Denon flagship AVRs and Marantz flagship AVPs. Even mid range Denon/Marantz AVRs use better DAC than the flagship NAD T787 and 777. I hope the NAD AVP does use at least something like the ES9018/9028/9038. Based on what they have been using in their AVR, I wont be surprised if the stick to the PCM1690 but I hope they will up them to at least the PCM1795, if not the ES9018 or 9028.

Most importantly I hope they follow D&M's lead in finally replacing that Renasas LSI vol control IC with separate ICs that have better noise and distortion specs. Just because they are more expensive, it doesn't mean they use better parts.

By the way, did you guys know the tiny avr-x3400h has the same output devices as the heavy weight NAD T787, and the other heavy weight T777's are one size smaller?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even mid range Denon/Marantz AVRs use better DAC than the flagship NAD T787...

Just because they are more expensive, it doesn't mean they use better parts.

By the way, did you guys know the tiny avr-x3400h has the same output devices as the heavy weight NAD T787, and the other heavy weight T777's are one size smaller?
It’s a shame I cannot find any measurements for the NAD pre-pro, but I did see the measurements for the NAD $4,000 AVR - 103dBA SNR, 70dB Crosstalk. These specs remind me of some $300 pro amps.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-t-787-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

I think a $300 Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Denon AVR has better SNR, Crosstalk, and FR measurements.

Seriously, here is a BOTTOM OF THE LINE Yamaha AVR ($300 MSRP, not $4,000):
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-v377-av-receiver-test-bench

$300 Yamaha: 111dBA SNR, 77dB Crosstalk, THD 0.02% at 2.83V
$4,000 NAD: 103dBA SNR, 70dB Crosstalk, THD 0.04% at 2.83V :eek:

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s a shame I cannot find any measurements for the NAD pre-pro, but I did see the measurements for the NAD $4,000 AVR - 103dBA SNR, 70dB Crosstalk. These specs remind me of some $300 pro amps.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-t-787-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

I think a $300 Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Denon AVR has better SNR, Crosstalk, and FR measurements.

Seriously, here is a BOTTOM OF THE LINE Yamaha AVR ($300 MSRP, not $4,000):
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-v377-av-receiver-test-bench

$300 Yamaha: 111dBA SNR, 77dB Crosstalk, THD 0.02% at 2.83V
$4,000 NAD: 103dBA SNR, 70dB Crosstalk, THD 0.04% at 2.83V :eek:
And as I mentioned, that $4,000 AVR has lower (not the lowest) end TI/BB DAC, the PCM1690 for the main 7 channels. It also has the same output power transistors as the tiny AVR-X3400H, lots of storage capacitance though, typical for the larger NAD AVRs, must be to boost dynamic output right?

Not a problem as such, but why use lower end DACs in such expensive AVRs? That's why I am skeptical about what has been said about NAD vs Marantz DACs. The M17 v2 does boast differential configuration, but let's wait and see which chip they ended up using.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We finally have some measurements to look at for this $6,000 AV controller.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-nad-m17-v2-pre-pro.8998/

If you don't want to be bother with all those fancy graphs, jump to the conclusions and note that Amir has the following to say:

"We are talking DAC performance that barely matches the Pioneer VSX-LX504 AVR. A processor is designed to give better performance than an integrated AVR.

Once again as I have noted in the past, the DIrac Room EQ is a major plus here and should in practice produce excellent sound. Just don't go around bragging to your friends that you have a best design audio/video processor. So much low-hanging fruit was left in the design of M17 V2."

He has the RX-A1080 in the queue, let's see what happens with that, but I have high hope..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We finally have some measurements to look at for this $6,000 AV controller.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-nad-m17-v2-pre-pro.8998/

If you don't want to be bother with all those fancy graphs, jump to the conclusions and note that Amir has the following to say:

"We are talking DAC performance that barely matches the Pioneer VSX-LX504 AVR. A processor is designed to give better performance than an integrated AVR.

Once again as I have noted in the past, the DIrac Room EQ is a major plus here and should in practice produce excellent sound. Just don't go around bragging to your friends that you have a best design audio/video processor. So much low-hanging fruit was left in the design of M17 V2."

He has the RX-A1080 in the queue, let's see what happens with that, but I have high hope..
With the old S&V, I always looked at SNR, XT, THD, FR.

What parameters are we looking at with this website?

I guess we can't use "SNR" here because he calls it "SINAD"?

Does anyone else use this term "SINAD"?

So a $550 Pioneer AVR has better DAC measurements than this $6K NAD pre-pro.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With the old S&V, I always looked at SNR, XT, THD, FR.

What parameters are we looking at with this website?

I guess we can't use "SNR" here because he calls it "SINAD"?

Does anyone else use this term "SINAD"?

So a $550 Pioneer AVR has better DAC measurements than this $6K NAD pre-pro.
The way he did it, SINAD is just THD+N expressed in dB. I haven't seen it used in audio hifi gear, apparently it is more commonly used in communications so Gene is likely familiar with how and why it is used in that field.

So he does measure THD+N, along with SINAD because I guess his AP (same one Gene uses) spits out both, again same value just one in %, the other in dB, in other words, its the same measurement.

He also typically measures IMD, Dynamic range, noise spectrum, harmonics spectrum, frequency response, cross talk, and sometimes a few other things. I think it is fair to say his measurements are much more detailed than S&V, and in some cases even AH's, but he doesn't seem consistent in terms of scope of measurements, that's just my own impression.

He did ask for inputs, now that he seems interested to measure more AVPs and AVRs, and some (including me) has given him suggestions, hopefully he would take that into considerations when he measures the RX-A1080 that he now has on hand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The way he did it, SINAD is just THD+N expressed in dB. I haven't seen it used in audio hifi gear, apparently it is more commonly used in communications so Gene is likely familiar with how and why it is used in that field.

So he does measure THD+N, along with SINAD because I guess his AP (same one Gene uses) spits out both, again same value just one in %, the other in dB, in other words, its the same measurement.

He also typically measures IMD, Dynamic range, noise spectrum, harmonics spectrum, frequency response, cross talk, and sometimes a few other things. I think it is fair to say his measurements are much more detailed than S&V, and in some cases even AH's, but he doesn't seem consistent in terms of scope of measurements, that's just my own impression.

He did ask for inputs, now that he seems interested to measure more AVPs and AVRs, and some (including me) has given him suggestions, hopefully he would take that into considerations when he measures the RX-A1080 that he now has on hand.
So he doesn’t measure SNR, even though most audio experts do.

What’s the XT of this $6K NAD?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So he doesn’t measure SNR, even though most audio experts do.

What’s the XT of this $6K NAD?
I believe he had measured SNR in some cases, in this case he presented the dynamic range graph. For linear amplifiers, my understanding is that you can consider SNR and DNR are practically the same thing. In DAC datasheets that provide both SNR and DNR, they are pretty much always the same. Some of them only provide one or the other.

https://www.ap.com/technical-library/signal-to-noise-ratio-snr-dynamic-range-and-noise/

For cross talk, it's there, just hard to find because there are so many graphs.

He said it was the bright spot.., obviously much better than the Anthem MRX520 he also measured, that was "pretty poor" for an amplifier, according to him.

1568762783322.png

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis