NAD equipment set-up Questions

B

Bob0398

Audiophyte
I'm new to this site but I couldn't find anything relating to my queries. I would be grateful for any advice.

I have recently come into some older Nad equipment that I'm trying to set up in a way that realizes the best sound possible from it. For sentimental reasons, I'd also like to keep the equipment operational for as long as possible. The equipment I am working with is: PSB Stratus silver speakers; all the rest is NAD - 1155 pre , 4155 tuner, 515 and 523 cd tables and two 2200 amps. I have a narrow (slightly wider than a cd player) stand with three shelves. How should I stack the equipment to minimize heat caused decay? What's the worst way? What would be the consequences?

I have seen, on the net, references to vertical and horizontal bi-amping but no real discussion of their respective pros and cons. Given this equipment, is there any one that could give me advice to help me decide which to do?

Thanks vey much

B

Bob0398

Audiophyte
I forgot to mention one of the most important facts. My current wife of twenty nine years tolerates my hobby but has, what she characterizes as, reasonable limits. So, advice which would place the amplifiers on the floor between the two speakers to minimize the length of speaker cables would not be that helpful. Thanks again.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the site.

The worst case would be stacking the amps together with another unit on top. The amps require ventilation so whatever configuration maximizes it will work best. I’d put one on the top and one on the bottom shelf, and use the other two shelves for pre/tuner and CD players.

Since the amps are bridgeable, I would do that instead of concerning yourself with bi-amping/wiring. But if you really want to try bi-amping, use the vertical configuration.

May be of interest to you. http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/1101colin.pdf

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
hi Bob,

I also have some NAD and PSB gear :)

Only three shelves? for all that gear? hmmmmm. How much height are you given in each shelf, or more importantly, how much breathing space on top for each amp? And make sure your stand can support the weight (I think your amps aren't too bad, but I think my NAD is 80+ lbs or something). Its always the bottom rack that can hold the most weight (for obvious reasons).

Otherwise I like AVrat's idea. good idea to keep them far enough away from each other. Would you consider a taller, bigger rack? Or maybe another identical rack (one for each side:D)? gl.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Heat disipation

Ideally you would put the component that generates the most heat on top so the heat does not radiate up to the components above it. The more ventalation the better.

My Emotiva amp runs cool so a pre-pro or other electronics can be placed directly on top of it without any problems.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Bob, I see you lurking about, but offer no feedback response,

B

Bob0398

Audiophyte
Follow re: NAD equip setup

Dear Mr. Rat, not lurking; I was logged on and was called away and in my haste failed to log out. I am grateful for all the feedback. Can I ask a question re yours? What's the difference between bridging and biamping - both how you do them and their effects. Thanks. Bob

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I'll refer you to here for a decently understandable explanation of bridging amps. There should be a switch and hopefully a connection help on the back of the amps to do it.

Most people are under the assumption that using two amps to bi-amp a speaker essentially doubles the power to the speaker. In essence this is true, however, it is also dependent on the speaker design. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that if a speaker is not designed to handle the same amps in a bi-amp configuration, the sound balance of the speaker could be thrown off. Better to use a more powerful amp if it's needed/wanted and let the speaker design control the power distribution.

For example, I know of a speaker where the lower frequency section requires 3X the power of the upper frequency section and one that's just the opposite. Not good bi-amp candidates unless you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis