N. Korea Suggests It Can Strike U.S. First

annunaki

annunaki

majorloser said:
It's a shame somebody didn't take out Korea's reactors before they went on line like Israel did to Iraq. And that was a power plant the French were building for Sadam.

As far as our plants, 104 nuke plants provide over 20% of our power. Coal powered plants account for about 50% and natural gas is about 20%. The rest is mostly hydro electric. We rely on nuke power whether we like it or not.
A bit off topic:

Most Nuke plants only run at 30%-50% capacity as well. At least that is what I am told by a friend who is a reactor operator. He said most, if not all, nuke plants are top noch facilities and things like Chernobyl and Three Mile Island virtually could not take place now. Essentially one would have to try to make something like that happen. Even then it would be difficult. If the nuke plant in our state were to run both reactors it could power half of the state alone.

Johnd said:
We should allow all those scientists to come to the US and pay them well for their knowledge and expertise with nuclear energy...so that they are unable to help rogue, or any countries with their own nuclear weapons agenda.
No doubt. They should have been hired IMMEDIATELY following (or during) the cold war. For peanuts we could have taken out nuclear technology from the rest of the world.

The problem is there is a lot of money in oil and some of those countries can really buy just about anybody (while their own people ride camels, go without indoor plumbing, and live in crappy houses in the desert of course.)

Nuclear power is AWESOME but for reasons I cannot fathom, there is a huge lobby against them and the clean air people refuse to back nuclear technology. They harp on the disposal but fail to recognize the "numbers". (i.e. run the city of Orlando for a year and you have to "store" spent fuel rods that woudl fit into a 10x10 room... that is QUITE efficient considering the pollution and difficulties we run into with fossil fuels.

Why on earth don't we pull out the stops and start building nuclear reactors like there's no tomorrow? I'll take one in my back yard any day if it means my electric bill drops in half and we can cut back on over half of our fossil fual dependency.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yes. And further lessen our dependency on fossil fuels with ethanol and other alternative fuels (which will no longer be "alternative" once we start using them en masse, as Brazil has been for years). Most people don't realize that oil, for all intents and purposes, will be dried up in 30-40 years at our current consumption rate. Think of it.

Our energies, resources, and wasteful federal expenditures would be well spent on fervent R&D of other fuels, so that maybe, some day, we could be energy independent.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Let's see if I got this straight.

North Korea thinks they can have a pre-emptive launch of a couple of Nukes which will make a very unpleasant day for some people in the USA, while knowing the USA retalitory response will result in all of North Korea becoming a parking lot (in a few 1000 years)?

If President Crazy of North Korea is serious and believes this would be a fair fight, maybe somebody should help him retire.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It's all about balance of power. If you know your neighbor owns guns, has a Pitt Bull Terrier, and is a live wire, you're not going to complain about him not taking care of the dandelions.

N. Korea may never approach US power, but having that Pitt Bull and a few guns makes us think a little harder. It will also make us get out our checkbook and find other powers to unbalance the scales.

This is a huge chess move for Kim Jung Il, and he knows it. What I see him doing is making the U.S. even stronger in the international arena.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Something like that. The problem is, most people in the know don't put it past Kim Jung Il.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
I agree. I wish Superman would come and take all nukes of the world and throw them at the sun :D

While he is at it, he should schedule the spent fuel disposal there too. Hope the sun doesn't mind:D

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
sjdgpt said:
Let's see if I got this straight.

North Korea thinks they can have a pre-emptive launch of a couple of Nukes which will make a very unpleasant day for some people in the USA, while knowing the USA retalitory response will result in all of North Korea becoming a parking lot (in a few 1000 years)?

If President Crazy of North Korea is serious and believes this would be a fair fight, maybe somebody should help him retire.

Yes, he is that crazy. Helping him retire is not as simple as you might think. North Korea has been extremely isolated for a very long time and the propaganda machine has been virtually impenetrable for many years. I don't think most people understand what North Korea has been like since the closing of the DMZ. It's not your typical communist regime.

R

rolski

Audioholic Intern
But seriously....

India's opened some of its reactors ? Was that Bush's idea or someones idea of getting rid of Bush ?! Someone should tell him that sticking his head in a reactor is not going to do much for his already limited IQ....

And as for North Korea - isn't this a job for "World Police"....?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
rolski said:
Yes, it truly is. By the "World Police", since I know of no organiztion by that name, do you mean Interpol? Or The UN? If The UN got its' stuff together, and used some of that "tooth" it already has, then yes, this would be a job for "World Police." It could be deemed cavalier to say it's a "World Police" job, knowing full well that the UN has done nothing, lo, this past decade or two, to persuade Kim Jung Il to stand down.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It's from the "Team America, World Police" movie

SheepStar

[Edit: family forum... - Admin]

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
rolski said:
Someone should tell him that sticking his head in a reactor is not going to do much for his already limited IQ....

You never know.

V

vaf3

Audioholic Intern
You guys are joking about the "World Police" but that's pretty much what the USA is. And we've been deemed so by the very people that criticize our administration for this type of behavior. After all the criticism Bush has gotten for his approach to the war in Iraq, for his "Shock and Awe" campaign he used to kick it off, and for still being over there given the current situation... I'd say that it is a pretty bold move to go ahead and give Bush the authority to choose a US leader to govern a council aimed at sizing up and most likely eliminating North Korea's nuclear activities. I read this in an article a couple weeks ago but can't seem to track it down so if my memory is wrong someone please correct me on this. I just think it is highly hypocritical that we as a country take so much criticism all the way around the world yet the same people that criticize us are relying on our "bullying" nature as a super power to solve their problems.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
No, I think Mr. rolski was actually referring to the UN. In any event, that's who I consider to be the World Police, and I wasn't joking about it. However, I deem an appropriate response by the "dreaded" President Bush, in conjunction with the "hated" US, to be in order when the UN fails miserably.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
[Edit: family forum... - Admin]
Right, the youngest person on the forum is 14, and I guarantee he hears that times 10 walking down the hall at school.

This is the second time I have posted this "quote" and the seconds time it has been removed...

...I think its a sign... :rolleyes:

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
vaf3 said:
You guys are joking about the "World Police" but that's pretty much what the USA is. And we've been deemed so by the very people that criticize our administration for this type of behavior. After all the criticism Bush has gotten for his approach to the war in Iraq, for his "Shock and Awe" campaign he used to kick it off, and for still being over there given the current situation... I'd say that it is a pretty bold move to go ahead and give Bush the authority to choose a US leader to govern a council aimed at sizing up and most likely eliminating North Korea's nuclear activities. I read this in an article a couple weeks ago but can't seem to track it down so if my memory is wrong someone please correct me on this. I just think it is highly hypocritical that we as a country take so much criticism all the way around the world yet the same people that criticize us are relying on our "bullying" nature as a super power to solve their problems.
What problems? We don't have any problems with other countries.

SheepStar

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
If only N.Korea has an abundance of oil..this would be a different story with a different thread...;)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
masak_aer said:
If only N.Korea has an abundance of oil..this would be a different story with a different thread...;)
I think it fits in about the same. Before we do a thing, everyone is down on us for not doing anything. Then when we do something, those same people are down on us for butting in. Don't think we'll ever win this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis