Myths about subwoofers

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I would just like to thank annunaki, and everyone else who has posted such great informative replies on this thread. In this thread alone I think I've learned more about subwoofer design considerations and what factors truly impact a sub's performance than anywhere else I've been on the web. I'm no speaker builder by any means, but do understand engineering terms and can follow most of what's being said (at least once I learn the terminology and what they mean).

And now, at least - should I ever be bored and decide I want to just up and construct my own subwoofer, I know exactly who on this forum to target now. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I would just like to thank annunaki, and everyone else who has posted such great informative replies on this thread. In this thread alone I think I've learned more about subwoofer design considerations and what factors truly impact a sub's performance than anywhere else I've been on the web. I'm no speaker builder by any means, but do understand engineering terms and can follow most of what's being said (at least once I learn the terminology and what they mean).

And now, at least - should I ever be bored and decide I want to just up and construct my own subwoofer, I know exactly who on this forum to target now. :D
Wow Halon :)
Where have you been hiding?, haven't heard from you for ages

WELCOME BACK :D

And I agree with you about every aspect of this thread :p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Wow Halon :)
Where have you been hiding?, haven't heard from you for ages

WELCOME BACK :D

And I agree with you about every aspect of this thread :p
I've no decent excuse man, but thanks! :) Guess I just had to focus on other areas of my life for a bit - 2009 was a hectic year in the Halon camp. ;)

EDIT: P.S. What's a "Holiday System"? :D

T

thebard1

Audiophyte
New link

Can't post links yet, but I think it's been re-posted in this forum:

forum -dot- ecoustics -dot- com/bbs/messages/4/599946 -dot- html

A

Audio Mastering

Audiophyte
Hello guys, I guess I arrived late, the article link is broken.

Any alternative link?

Thanks!

--------------------

annunaki

annunaki

Hello to all.

I also have noticed the link is now dead. I will be working with some very knowledgeable people to create something new to put back in it's place, hopefully very soon. Please have some patience here. In the meantime there is a lot of great information here on Audioholics that can help clear up and dispel some of the things floating around out there.

Thanks!

T

Theresa

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for posting this

One of the best treatments of subs that I've seen. I was skeptical at first, thinking it would talk about speed, etc. but it debunks this non-sense instead. There are so many myths probably most common is a woofer's "speed" in a sealed enclosure vs. vented

K

Kyle_K

Audiophyte
Hey guys, we took the link down, but we'll post it back up soon with some updates.

K

Kyle_K

Audiophyte
The myths are back!

data-bass.com/myths

its been changed a tad and simplified down to more basic list but based on the original.

T

Theresa

Junior Audioholic
Agree with the author of the article

I think there is a lot of confused thinking about this which is illustrated by some responses. The author though is correct and the situation with large vs. small, vented vs. sealed, etc. Speed does not make sense if the driver has good frequency response. Woofers do not need to produce the frequencies a tweeter does so it doesn't need to be "faster."
It is really interesting as a former sociologist and mental health professional. People fight for their misconceptions to be validated even after it is explained.
I have two subs with passive radiators and they sound far better for music than the sealed ones they replaced because I went to the effort of tuning them properly. I'll stick with mine and some of you can get 6.5" drivers and try to get loud and deep and musical with deficient drivers (deficient for low bass).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis