HDMI is Dead. Introducing HDBaseT Networking

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
HDMI is dead. How can we say this? Because we have seen the future and it is HDBaseT. HDBaseT technology runs over STANDARD Cat5e/6 cable and implements something it calls 5Play, an unrivaled feature-set that converges full uncompressed HD video, audio, 100BaseT Ethernet, and various control signals. Oh, it also transmits up to 100W of power - that's enough to drive a 37-inch TV. And it can extend up to 100 meters passively. HDBaseT has the bandwidth to support the highest video resolutions such as full HD 1080p as well as 3D and 2Kx4K formats. HDBaseT is the first to provide all-in-one connectivity, making it possible for a single-connector TV to receive power, video/audio, Internet and control signals from the same cable. Think HDMI has a chance? Think again.

Discuss "HDMI is Dead. Introducing HDBaseT Networking" here. Read the article.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like an interesting alternative to HDMI. Considering the trend for digital storage and networking devices it might have a chance. I'm guessing we'll see a few more HDMI versions (more $ to upgrade) before this takes off. Does anyone know of any limitations or drawbacks to an implementation like this?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I saw this on engadget earlier today. This looks interesting, but where was this like 4 years ago?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Technology sounds awesome and I have high hopes for it, however I has be DRMd before majors studios jump on-board, but I guess Mother of DRM - Sony Pictures are already in so pretty much DRM is guaranteed to be there...
How well these DRM handshakes will work only time will show....

@BoredSysAdmin: With Sony Pictures on board it inspires confidence that studios are going to be OK with it.

@GlocksRock: on the drawing board...

I'm sticking my neck out on this one, I'm that confident this is the way it will go...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Well, this would make my wires about 50% cleaner :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I want very much for this to work, I just don't want to buy all new gear to take advantage of it... but I would rather see something wireless that works just as well.

So if this does take off, how long till Monster starts selling severly overpriced Cat6 cables with exaggerated specs?

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
@BoredSysAdmin: With Sony Pictures on board it inspires confidence that studios are going to be OK with it.

@GlocksRock: on the drawing board...

I'm sticking my neck out on this one, I'm that confident this is the way it will go...
The tech looks great, but they need a better name. If history has proven anything, a lot of a product's success is determined by the name. HDMI is easily remembered, HDbaseT is not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cool, when I rewire the new house, it will be with CAT6 instead of HDMI :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Cool, when I rewire the new house, it will be with CAT6 instead of HDMI :)
better do both just in case... of course there is always HDMI over ethernet too. One really good thing about using ethernet cable instead of HDMI is the ability to make it whatever length you need, and the tools to make your own cable are inexpensive, as is the cable and terminations.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Let me play devils advocate for a moment and answer my own question I posted after learning about this technology.

If I'm not mistaken Denon already has a uber expensive ethernet cable so high end cable companies can still make a living on dressing up these cables and charging a premium for them :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
better do both just in case... of course there is always HDMI over ethernet too. One really good thing about using ethernet cable instead of HDMI is the ability to make it whatever length you need, and the tools to make your own cable are inexpensive, as is the cable and terminations.
More specifically, it's HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6 cable, not ethernet. The cables use a balun on each end, some with a separate power supply, some without because they need two cables. Either way, as long as HDMI dies soon, I'll be a happy camper.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Let me play devils advocate for a moment and answer my own question I posted after learning about this technology.

If I'm not mistaken Denon already has a uber expensive ethernet cable so high end cable companies can still make a living on dressing up these cables and charging a premium for them :)
Sure, they offer the stoopidly priced cables but I don't know of a single one used, bought from a distributor or at retail.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
I just hope that this spec catches on with the manufacturers.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't feel that we need another connection type, but one of the main advantages this has over HDMI 1.4 is the cost of cable, and the fact that it is able to supply as much power as it can. Would this new interconnect do away with HDCP?

Also, why is this in the steam vent, and not in the cable and interconnect section?

Would this new interconnect do away with HDCP? [snip] Also, why is this in the steam vent, and not in the cable and interconnect section?
The format wouldn't change the need for DRM or copy protection... and it's in the steam vent simply because I figured people would be very hot over this issue...

I just hope that this spec catches on with the manufacturers.
It already has - that's what's so cool. We just had a major manufacturer (not already on the list) tell us that it will likely take about 2-3 years to get this on their gear. In terms of connectivity, that's really quick. What we found equally encouraging is that they stated it as a matter of fact - as if it was a done deal, a logical step. And it's adoption will be faster if other manufacturers start bringing it to market quicker.

Think about how fast this will spread if all of a sudden Belkin, Netgear, Cisco-Linksys, etc start making HDBaseT-compatible routers that also do Gigabit... With the switches in place, then it's a matter of manufacturers just climbing on board... Either way, this seems like a really easy roll-out...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I see the benefits, but I already spent a lot on all my gear, and my gigabit network, I really dont' see myself upgrading it all for quite a while, unless I hit the lottery. But I do like where it's headed, but how long before this is obsolete as well? Don't you see this getting replaced by some type of wireless standard in the next several years?

I guess the people who should really be upset are those looking to get new gear right away, now they have to decide to get something current, or wait to see how long it takes for this new connection to be added to all the upcoming gear.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis