HDMI is Dead. Introducing HDBaseT Networking

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, a real connector with normal wiring.... Kill HDMI with their Cr@ppy connectors and bring on this new format quicker.
I think we need T-shirts and hats- DEATH TO HDMI!!!!!!!!!!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I thought it said everything is carried on one Cat5e/Cat6 cable.
It is, there are multiple pairs in that cable. (as you know)

This has been in the works for a while;(going back more than 4 years ago) I remember commercial electrical plans that always had tons of Cat5/Cat6 cable pulled and left in the walls for future use.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
The tech looks great, but they need a better name. If history has proven anything, a lot of a product's success is determined by the name. HDMI is easily remembered, HDbaseT is not.
How about using HDT - Pronounced "High Dot"

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
This sounds really cool I have no problem with a new standard supplanting HDMI. I haven't had any problems with HDMI in my personal system but I deal with HDMI problems at work all the time.

Why wasn't this standard introduced four years ago? Was the technology not there? I don't understand why something as needlessly complex as HDMI needed to be introduced instead.

highfigh

highfigh

It is, there are multiple pairs in that cable. (as you know)

This has been in the works for a while;(going back more than 4 years ago) I remember commercial electrical plans that always had tons of Cat5/Cat6 cable pulled and left in the walls for future use.
I guess we need to wait unitl they describe the pin-out before passing judgment. Having spent a long time dealing with 12VDC audio systems, I know long runs with DC aren't likely to work best and if they want to use one Cat5e/Cat6 cable for everything, high voltage is an impossibility because of code restrictions and because of the likelihood of inductive coupling.

Re: plans with lots of cabling in place at the outset- it reminds me of a police station here- they finished it 2-1/2 years late and $26M over budget because of "technology updates". Now, knowing that additional conduit could have been installed during the electrical rough-in, the updates would have been a piece of cake if it had been done but I can't believe that it wouldn't have been suggested by the designers or electrical contractor(s).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This sounds fantastic I cant stand hdmi and the whole standard made zero since.

highfigh

highfigh

This sounds fantastic I cant stand hdmi and the whole standard made zero since.
It makes perfect sense when the people behind it devised it for keeping others from copying the content. Their error, which appears to be major, is that for every method of keeping someone from copying something electronically, a way to go around it for the purposes of testing. That means someone is gonna talk. People can't keep their mouths shut and it's only a matter of time before everyone has it.

That said, as long as HDMI dies soon, I'll be shouting WOO HOO!!!!!!! from the mountaintops. If it takes longer, I'll just stand in my yard and make noise.

D

DigitalDavid

Audiophyte
Wireless is the Killer

The killer protocol must play over wireless connections. Commodity wireless routers, hubs and adapters will support the winning protocol. They could also supply power if that is part of the winning protocol. None of the wireless suppliers (e.g., Cisco/Linksys, Netgear, ...) were part of the announcement. This is necessary for the "next generation home networking." Its doubtful consumers will support two home networks. I wonder if wireless suppliers are working on an alterantive next generation. They too are aware of this this market opportunity. I doubt HDBaseT's wiring and superior fidelity can beat a commodity wireless capability that is good enough.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Let me know when you find a wireless solution capable of 20Gbit/sec. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The killer protocol must play over wireless connections. Commodity wireless routers, hubs and adapters will support the winning protocol. They could also supply power if that is part of the winning protocol. None of the wireless suppliers (e.g., Cisco/Linksys, Netgear, ...) were part of the announcement. This is necessary for the "next generation home networking." Its doubtful consumers will support two home networks. I wonder if wireless suppliers are working on an alterantive next generation. They too are aware of this this market opportunity. I doubt HDBaseT's wiring and superior fidelity can beat a commodity wireless capability that is good enough.
Good enough is the first curse of mankind!

Apple. Orange. I have no doubt wireless will come into play, but for now this is a wired solution and it's going to be VERY easy to manufacture switches. Compatibility seems inevitable to some degree, and I wouldn't base anything on the presence of three founding members. New companies will come on board now that the spec is finalized and the papers are filed. They quite literally COULDN'T come on board earlier (there was nothing to come on board to).

highfigh

highfigh

Let me know when you find a wireless solution capable of 20Gbit/sec. ;)
Yeah, good luck with that. WiFi is only 54MB/sec (802.11G) and 802.11n is only about 160MB/sec. I doubt 20GB/sec will be here in 3 years.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, good luck with that. WiFi is only 54MB/sec (802.11G) and 802.11n is only about 160MB/sec. I doubt 20GB/sec will be here in 3 years.
Just to be clear here, that is 54Mb/second. That's megabits, not bytes. 54Mb/second is 6.75MB/second. I'm lucky if I get 3MB/s transfer rate over my 802.11G network.

I can transfer at 85MB/second+ over my wired Gigabit network.

Now, 20Gb, that is is 2.5GB/second. That is an entire 50GB Blu-Ray disc in 20 seconds!

ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

Junior Audioholic
Wow.. My networking degree can finally be put towards my goal of becoming a full time HT installer.

HDbaseT for the win.

I think we need T-shirts and hats- DEATH TO HDMI!!!!!!!!!!
I think I can arrange that.

highfigh

highfigh

Just to be clear here, that is 54Mb/second. That's megabits, not bytes. 54Mb/second is 6.75MB/second. I'm lucky if I get 3MB/s transfer rate over my 802.11G network.

I can transfer at 85MB/second+ over my wired Gigabit network.

Now, 20Gb, that is is 2.5GB/second. That is an entire 50GB Blu-Ray disc in 20 seconds!
I was posting 'Best-case' specs. 20GB would be great, though.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Standard Wireless N is 300Mbit/s. Whether you get that over your wireless network is irrelevant....that's the standard. ( Sorry didn't mean to sound like a **** :))

However you can get 600Mbp/s with 4 spatial streams and using 64 bit QAM modulation.

Standard (non proprietary) G networks run at a max of 54Mbp/s, so N is roughly 11 times faster if my math is correct.

So if we make the same leap that we made from G to N then the next wireless format will be capable of 0.833GBp/s....gonna take a while to get to 20GBp/s over wifi!

Its a shame Moore's Law doesn't apply to connection mediums. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis