Sherbourn PT-7020A Processor First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's been almost 5 years since the debut of the PT-7010A pre-processor from Sherbourn Technologies. Since then, the company has been mostly focused on selling its existing line of multi-channel amplifiers for the custom install market. Now the CE channel manufacturer is getting back into the home theater game with its updated PT-7020A preamplifier/processor. The PT-7020A is a 7-channel includes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA decoding, 5 HDMI 1.3a inputs and RS-232 control.

Discuss "Sherbourn PT-7020A Processor First Look" here. Read the article.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I wonder if it will be as buggy as the umc-1?
Yes, I have just done a search. The UMC-1 is buggy, it seems to have some very significant issues.

That is a pity. They are nice guys at EMO. Unfortunately this may have been too steep a hill for them to climb.

I'm glad I went with Marantz AV 8003. I thought the UMC-1 was too high risk.

I will be offering a full review of that unit, and the OPPO BD-83.

I will have an intensive review of Audyssey which is fascinating.

I have had an intense time these last two weeks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I have just done a search. The UMC-1 is buggy, it seems to have some very significant issues.

That is a pity. They are nice guys at EMO. Unfortunately this may have been too steep a hill for them to climb.

I'm glad I went with Marantz AV 8003. I thought the UMC-1 was too high risk.

I will be offering a full review of that unit, and the OPPO BD-83.

I will have an intensive review of Audyssey which is fascinating.

I have had an intense time these last two weeks!
I thought you would have gotten the Denon AVP-A1HDCI?:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought you would have gotten the Denon AVP-A1HDCI?:D
Well you will have to wait for my review. However in brief that unit has even more facilities I don't need, and misses some I do.

It does not have DTS Neural six 5-2-5. MPR are now broadcasting the Minnesota Orchestral in Neural 6.

I don't have to have a radio, however it is insurance against my vintage Quad FM 4 someday becoming unfixable, due to parts NLA. The FM tuner in that Marantz happens to be a very good one.

Having a DSD decoder in a pre pro, offers zero advantages, and SACD will be dead as a dodo pronto and needs to be. So it will just be a matter of playing our archived material.

I don't need a phono input, and I certainly don't need 12 channels. The next thing is I'm not paying for bogus marketing hype. I processor is not channel discrete, and that takes the lions share of the power. Th power consumed by the analog circuitry is tiny. Putting in 12 power supplies is bogus, and sop to the loony crowd. I refuse to pay for such nonsense.

The important specs are not published, I suspect because they do not want you to know important things like crosstalk and signal to noise are no better than on their cheaper Marantz line.

The Marantz is about half the cost. If I thought the Denon would be a better unit in its core functions, I would have bought it, but I doubt it is. I refuse to pay fro "fluff".

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Having a DSD decoder in a pre pro, offers zero advantages, and SACD will be dead as a dodo pronto and needs to be. So it will just be a matter of playing our archived material.
I strongly disagree. SACD is a niche and will continue to be for many years. There are some fabulously recorded albums on SACD so you should put away your Sharpe and start listening to them. Recording engineers do a fabulous job with SACD, much better than most DVD-A mastering from my experience.

I don't need a phono input, and I certainly don't need 12 channels. The next thing is I'm not paying for bogus marketing hype. I processor is not channel discrete, and that takes the lions share of the power. Th power consumed by the analog circuitry is tiny. Putting in 12 power supplies is bogus, and sop to the loony crowd. I refuse to pay for such nonsense.

The important specs are not published, I suspect because they do not want you to know important things like crosstalk and signal to noise are no better than on their cheaper Marantz line.

The Marantz is about half the cost. If I thought the Denon would be a better unit in its core functions, I would have bought it, but I doubt it is. I refuse to pay fro "fluff".
Amazing how you can judge a product without actually ever hearing or seeing one in person. I measured every aspect of the Denon AVP-A1UDCI, including crosstalk. It is state of the art in every way. The SNR is benchmark and the lowest I've ever encountered in a pre/pro. The Marantz is a great processor too but its not at the same level as the Denon.

The Denon has more advanced video processing, more installer flexibility, higher implementation of Audyssey, independent multi sub outs and a host of countless features the Marantz doesn't have. There is a reason for the price difference between the two units and its not all just "fluff".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I measured every aspect of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, including crosstalk. It is state of the art in every way. The SNR is benchmark and the lowest I've ever encountered in a pre/pro. The Marantz is a great processor too but its not at the same level as the Denon.
Gene, it seems like most people measure the dB A-weighted, instead of the dB Unweighted.

Audioholics measured the AVP-A1's SNR as 95 dB Unweighted.

HT Mag measured the SNR dBA of the Marantz to be -122dBA.

http://hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/1008mar/index4.html

So just to compare, what is the dB A-weighted of the AVP-A1HDCI?

Oh, and you forgot to mention that the AVP-A1 is the only pre-pro that is fully balanced from front to back (input to output). :D

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Gene, it seems like most people measure the dB A-weighted, instead of the dB Unweighted.

http://hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/1008mar/index4.html

Oh, and you forgot to mention that the AVP-A1 is the only pre-pro that is fully balanced from front to back (input to output). :D
This one isnt fully balanced?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why are the tags on this thread essentially the same as the title?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

http://hometheatermag.com/preampproc...ar/index4.html

A-wt gives you much better results. I typically do unweighted unless I am measuring a Class D amp. Also HT Mag doesn't specify the output voltage??? Without knowing the output voltage, the #s cannot be directly compared.

Oh, and you forgot to mention that the AVP-A1 is the only pre-pro that is fully balanced from front to back (input to output).
Yes very true.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This one isnt fully balanced?
The funny thing is I was just looking at that Krell last night just out of curiosity since it's a $30,000 pre-pro.:eek:

When Denon claimed that the AVP-A1HD is the ONLY pre-pro that is fully balanced from front to back (input to output), I was thinking to myself, "What about those $30K pre-pros from Mark Levinson & Krell?":eek:

But you know, that $30K Krell is only 53lbs while the AVP-A1 is about 60lbs.:D

And I can't read anywhere on that website that says the Krell is fully balanced from input to output, can you?

V

visiter555

Audiophyte
You can clearly see Emo's hands in this one. The menus are identical to the UMC-1 and the manual...anyone else read it?

In the manual, to start with the simple, the remote buttons are 99% labelled incorrectly. Take a look at it and laugh your head off. This has all the marks of a total Emo processer screw-up.

It may sound great, but it has all the disadvantages of Emo including the exact same firmware update procedure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But you know, that $30K Krell is only 53lbs while the AVP-A1 is about 60lbs.:D
52 lbs according to the website.:D

And I can't read anywhere on that website that says the Krell is fully balanced from input to output, can you?
Me neither, but they did say:

"The audio signal path is a direct descendant of our flagship Evolution 2 stereo preamplifier."

Based on that, I bet you it is fully balanced from input to output. Regardless, comparing a $7000 unit to a $30,000 is hardly fair. So once again I am on your side.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
52 lbs according to the website.:D

Me neither, but they did say:

"The audio signal path is a direct descendant of our flagship Evolution 2 stereo preamplifier."

Based on that, I bet you it is fully balanced from input to output. Regardless, comparing a $7000 unit to a $30,000 is hardly fair. So once again I am on your side.
Logically speaker I would say it is, but it is listed at $30,000 so what is your point?:confused:

Wow, time flies when you are having fun.:D

That was like 15 months ago!:eek:

BTW, the B&W 802Ds aren't worth the money, and I'm 100% unbiased and all. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, time flies when you are having fun.:D

That was like 15 months ago!:eek:

BTW, the B&W 802Ds aren't worth the money, and I'm 100% unbiased and all. :D
We agree a lot of amp topics but I am almost certain in even a single blind test (properly conducted) you would pick the 802D in favor of many speakers at or below their it's price point. You can't prove me wrong without doing such a test, now please get back on topic.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
now please get back on topic.:D
Where's the fun in that?:eek::D

Talking about the Sherbourn will put us all to sleepzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:D

To be 100% honest with myself, I think those price tags played a significant subjective factor in my impressions of those B&W flagships.

Also the during that time, I was purely (as in Pure Direct) a 2.0 guy, not 2.1 or 2.2.:D

So when I auditioned those B&Ws, I was not thinking, "I bet they would sound great with a great subwoofer or two."

I was thinking, "They barely have enough bass for ME.:eek:"

But going back to The Eagles' "Hotel California" bass guitar, what disappointed me the most was that I could hardly hear the bass guitar on those B&Ws.

Yet, I could hear that bass guitar distinctly on the PSB Imagine Ts and the Infinity P362s.:eek:

I "discovered" a weakness, and it tainted my impression of those speakers forever.

If I had never listened to Hotel California, I may have had a totally different impression. Scary thought.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But going back to The Eagles' "Hotel California" bass guitar, what disappointed me the most was that I could hardly hear the bass guitar on those B&Ws.

Yet, I could hear that bass guitar distinctly on the PSB Imagine Ts and the Infinity P362s.:eek:

I "discovered" a weakness, and it tainted my impression of those speakers forever.

If I had never listened to Hotel California, I may have had a totally different impression. Scary thought.:D
Talking about the 362, I agree Hotel C sounds good with them but have you tried some violin concertos or any concertos or symphonies yet? I tried CD, Laser, SACD, even turntable, they do not sound good, not enough for me anyway. I used to not believe speakers can sound good with only certain types of music now I am second guessing myself aftering listening to the 362 for so long. I wonder if I could somehow replace the tweeter and the crossover.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
(Edit: this is old news)

Guess who ToneWinner is OEM for: http://yadi.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800826672/LargeImage/AD-7100HD-Preamplifier-Supporting/product_id-1029093458/action-GetProduct.htm?additional=true

They aren't the only one's, ToneWinner is OEM for 58 products.

Guess who ToneWinner is OEM for:
http://yadi.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800826672/LargeImage/AD-7100HD-Preamplifier-Supporting/product_id-1029093458/action-GetProduct.htm?additional=true
Sherbourn & Emo aren't the only one's, ToneWinner is OEM for 58 products.
http://yadi.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800826672/Homepage.htm

(from their site)
ToneWinner Electronics Co Ltd
18 years' OEM/ODM experience
Whether it's for your existing market or expansion into other areas, ToneWinner Electronics Co. Ltd can easily put together an A/V package tailored to your needs. Our 18 years' OEM/ODM experience and R&D partnerships with leading electronics companies provide us the platform to do so. Our design program is further reinforced by licensed technology from Dolby Labs and DTS.
R&D partnerships with industry leaders
Our current catalog includes A/V amplifiers, home theater systems, hi-fi amplifiers and speakers, PA systems, car amplifiers and karaoke players. We've also employed 30 engineers, some who have worked for Samsung and Panasonic. This, plus support from Mitsubishi and NEC, gives us the tools we need to develop cutting-edge designs that meet your high standards.

Filling your volume orders for any of these items isn't a problem since we turn out 55,000 units each month to ensure your production base is covered.

To enjoy what buyers in Europe, North America and Australia benefit from, send us your OEM/ODM requirements today.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Talking about the 362, I agree Hotel C sounds good with them but have you tried some violin concertos or any concertos or symphonies yet? I tried CD, Laser, SACD, even turntable, they do not sound good, not enough for me anyway. I used to not believe speakers can sound good with only certain types of music now I am second guessing myself aftering listening to the 362 for so long. I wonder if I could somehow replace the tweeter and the crossover.
You have a point there.

Yesterday I was listening to Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 on the Linkwitz Orion. I tried both 2.2 (Rythmik) and 2.0 (Pure Direct, without the Rythmik). I guess Mozart's Piano Concertos don't utilize the subwoofers very much.:D

Anyway, after listening to the Orions, I listened to the Infinity P362s. And I have to agree with you. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis