Hulu - Its Own Worst Enemy

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
One doesn't have too look too hard to find examples of businesses mismanaged into oblivion. Circuit City's recent inexplicable demise is a textbook example. Is Hulu next? It very well may be and here's why.

Discuss "Hulu - Its Own Worst Enemy" here. Read the article.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I really love Hulu on tour in hotel rooms.I hope they get it together and stop the foolishness............

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Kinda crazy. However it must be stated that many advertisers actually make commercials to advertise during a fast forward. So they still get your attention.

MeDotOrg

MeDotOrg

Audiophyte
Huh?

"One doesn't have too look too hard to find examples of businesses mismanaged into oblivion. Circuit City's recent inexplicable demise is a textbook example."

If Circuit City's demise is inexplicable, how can you say it was mismanaged?

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Advertising to Content Ratio on TV

I believe the actual ratio is 1:3 In other words 25% of an hour show is advertising. This is why, when you watch an hour show on DVR and fast forward through the commercials (in 30 sec intervals via my remote!) the total time is just over 45 minutes.

If Circuit City's demise is inexplicable, how can you say it was mismanaged?
It's inexplicable that they could have allowed what happened to occur. You can't explain it or rationalize it. In hindsight it's almost a sequence of very obvious major blunders. What is inexplicable is how they allowed one to occur after the other.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I believe the actual ratio is 1:3 In other words 25% of an hour show is advertising. This is why, when you watch an hour show on DVR and fast forward through the commercials (in 30 sec intervals via my remote!) the total time is just over 45 minutes.
I thought 1:3 = 33%
1:4 = 25%

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
On ratios

OK...if you mean the ratio of commercials/broadcasts it's 1:3, if you mean the ratio of commercials/total time, it's 1:4 capiche? Perhaps this next example will clarify a bit further: if the ratio of men to women in some group is 1:1, then 50% are men and 50% are women. The fraction is men/(men + women) or women/(men + women). In any case it's certainly a lot of commercials and FAR less then on HULU~!

Last edited:
ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
More info on folks trying to go the route of "subscription" services for TV:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,578372,00.html?test=faces

I'm not necessarilly against it...however, if I am paying for episodes on any of these services I sure as heck am not going to pay for cable on top of this service. The studios should see this as an "end around" attack on their current business model.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You take the total number of parts.

OK...if you mean the ratio of commercials/broadcasts it's 1:3, if you mean the ratio of commercials/total time, it's 1:4 capiche? Perhaps this next example will clarify a bit further: if the ratio of men to women in some group is 1:1, then 50% are men and 50% are women. The fraction is men/(men + women) or women/(men + women). In any case it's certainly a lot of commercials and FAR less then on HULU~!
You seem to be confusing a fraction to a ratio, which are two different things.

In the case of 1:4, or "one to four", that would imply five parts total. One part to four parts for a total of five parts. If expresed as a fraction it would be 1/5.

As opposed to 1/4, where it implies four parts total, or one part to the three others.

In your case of men to women being a 1:1 ratio, that would imply two equal parts. Would you state thisw fractionally as 1/1? As a fraction it would be 1/2 men and 1/2 women.

Last edited:
S

shoryuken

Audioholic Intern
I Hope Not

Hulu is wonderful. I guess everyone wants a piece of the $$$ pie!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis