Sunfire HRS-12 Powered Subwoofer Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
To get good monster bass, usually some fairly mongo subs are required. It is rare to find a sub this small that can not only provide copious bass output, but also can provide deep and accurate bass output as well. While not cheap by some standards, the HRS-12 subwoofers do an excellent job balancing the design and providing outstanding performance without skyrocketing the price. . Considering that the HRS-12s can easily provide better than two thirds of the performance of subs like the Fathoms at a mere one third of the price, the HRS-12s are a well engineered, high value product that represents a very good bargain for anyone looking for extreme levels of bass performance at less than extreme prices.

Discuss "Sunfire HRS-12 Powered Subwoofer Review" here. Read the article.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the review. A pair of these subs certainly impressed you. I wonder how one sub would sound, as this is the setup the majority of people have.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Nice review David, I wonder how quad HRS-12's would sound?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Thank You Very Much!

This review was spot on and made for a great read.

I've been trumpeting the new Sunfire HRS series subs for a few months now because I have personally found nothing better under $1K. If I were to get really adventurous, I would say that when "real world" parameters like WAF, room size, and usage are factored in that the HRS Sunfires are the best subwoofers under $1500 and maybe even higher up than that. In my eyes it's the Roy Jones Jr. of subwoofers. You'd have to hear one to believe it.

I'm a dealer of both Sunfire & JLAudio products and would also completely agree with the reviewer that the performance is about 2/3rds an F112. The HRS-10 can fill a very large room with deep, full bass that can be legitimately felt. The HRS-12, even more so. I am very excited at the chance to compare the HRS-10 & 12 to the JLAudio Fathom F110 (the 10" of the line up; MSRP $2K) when it comes available this summer.

Davidt1:
I assure you that just one of these subs will devastate most rooms. What was somewhat dissapointing is that when I brought on the Sunfire line I bough a few of their models above the HRS series to try everything out. What was dissapointing is that the entry level HRS pieces were so incredibly close to the Ture Subwoofer line that I almost don't see the point of going with the more expensive piece because they were soooooo close with the True EQ providing a more noticeable, yet subtle, amount of force. As the reviewer eluded to, you could get two of the HRS-10 for the price of one True Subwoofer EQ (uses dual 10's) and get a smoother bass "experience". For a fun listening evaluation, I corner loaded an HRS-10 (MSRP $800) & A/B'd it for a client with a True Subwoofer EQ (MSRP $1650). This was done in a roughly 1700 square foot area. Minor differences between the two unless you were the most incredibly critical listener.

Thank you for a geat review of an "entry level" piece in reach of most people's budget that offers a value as large as it's performance.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting but at what frequency was that 107/8dB spl at and what % THD?
What spl at 20Hz at 10%? Stuff like that.:D

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
I lost $20!
I bet my friend that Sunfire would never send another piece of equipment to audioholics after the theater not so grand debacle. I am glad they did and hope they continue to do so! It appears to be a good sub at a good price.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I lost $20!
I bet my friend that Sunfire would never send another piece of equipment to audioholics after the theater not so grand debacle. I am glad they did and hope they continue to do so! It appears to be a good sub at a good price.
that was a pretty mediocre product when it came out and Sunfire took our comments constructively and have since then improved it. Most legitimate manufacturers recognize we say it like it is whether a product performs well or not.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
IMHO I think that I would reather have 2 HSU VTF2 mk3's than one sunfire. I am old school when it comes to some things. Those uber long throw woofers have issues all there own.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
IMHO I think that I would reather have 2 HSU VTF2 mk3's than one sunfire. I am old school when it comes to some things. Those uber long throw woofers have issues all there own.
I agree that most long throw woofers don't sound very good at all. Never judge a sub by the size of the surround or motor structure or throw of the driver. If it were that simple, we'd all be using car audio subwoofer drivers in our homes.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I agree that most long throw woofers don't sound very good at all. Never judge a sub by the size of the surround or motor structure or throw of the driver. If it were that simple, we'd all be using car audio subwoofer drivers in our homes.

LOL agreed but that is exactly what it looks like

spyboy

spyboy

Junior Audioholic
It seems to me that Sunfire subwoofers have had a lot of problems with amplifiers dying and also a lot of the original Sunfire subs have problems with hum, that cannot be fixed. I would never buy a subwoofer that has problems with hum that cannot be fixed.

Maybe the new ones don't have amp or hum problems but I would not spend my money finding out if Sunfire has fixed the amp and hum problems with its subwoofers. I have read too many posts on other forums about problems with bad amps and hum (that could not be fixed) to recommend a Sunfire subwoofer to anyone.

Sunfire amps are a good way to go, especially their 5 and 7 channel models, however, Sunfire subwoofers are not popular enough for me to recommend.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I will be getting an HRS-12 next week (30 day eval) and will post my impressions vs the F113.

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a long throw sub woofer? I've never heard of that terminology.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a long throw sub woofer? I've never heard of that terminology.
Good question, it is:

Multiple choice
  1. The very first subwoofer invented by one Sir Edward Long-Throw
  2. Also known as excursion (Xmax), it is the measured distance the driver cone travels along the pole piece. In this case a long distance hence “long throw”
  3. An event held annually at the Audioholics State of the CE Union where the contestants test their physical strength by heaving subwoofers on a gridded Heaving Field . Three time champ is Gene DellaSala!

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good question, it is:

Multiple choice
  1. The very first subwoofer invented by one Sir Edward Long-Throw
  2. Also known as excursion (Xmax), it is the measured distance the driver cone travels along the pole piece. In this case a long distance hence “long throw”
  3. An event held annually at the Audioholics State of the CE Union where the contestants test their physical strength by heaving subwoofers on a gridded Heaving Field . Three time champ is Gene DellaSala!
Do we win anything if we get it right?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, the correct answer is no.2 (which I had deduced), but I sure do like no.3! :D

Do I win anything?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
  1. An event held annually at the Audioholics State of the CE Union where the contestants test their physical strength by heaving subwoofers on a gridded Heaving Field . Three time champ is Gene DellaSala!
True story: They actually do this, except with amplifiers, @ Cedia Expo. It's part of the "Installer Olympics".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis