RadioShacks Game Gambit

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
RadioShack is an enigma to me. I mean does anyone actually shop at RadioShack on purpose? Well now, RadioShack - the store that cannot die - is taking on Games. I mean console games. Games that are, amazingly, without profit margins for any but the powerhouse sellers. They are beginning with their online division, which will sell consoles and games to consumers, but they will also be testing some in-store real estate to see if the concept can stick. We'll be watching.

Discuss "RadioShacks Game Gambit" here. Read the article.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Every once in a while Radio Shack has something that I need right then and now. The latest was a AC adapter that was 12 volts DC at 1.5 AMP. Where else am I going to go? If I need speaker wire they are convenient.

My buddy needed a cheap receiver. They have the Yamaha HTR-5940 for $159 for a 6.1 receiver. The 5.1 version is $179 at Best Buy. Not a bad price.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I go for these RCA cables they have. They're like, $11, thick, and have great plugs.

Other than that, I never go to radioshack on purpose.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I guess people might shop there during the Christmas season, but they usually come in when they need something specific. They're not doing too well so they need to try something new to create more foot traffic.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
A cable here, and adapter there, a splitter somewhere else is what I usually buy.

I don't have anything against the shack though ... if they sell something decent at a decent price then I don't mind going there.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Don't be so quick to bash Radio Shack, if it wasn't for them, where would we get our nice SPL meters?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wonder if their giant brass balls interfere with RadioShack's walking around?

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Too much "LDS" in the 70s? [ST reference for the non-nerds}

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Don't be so quick to bash Radio Shack, if it wasn't for them, where would we get our nice SPL meters?
Yes, but it isn't like you need to get a new one all the time :) I think that was the last thing I purchased from them about 5 years ago.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I spend something like 6 bucks a month there but I hope they stay around as they always have some weird, what ever I am looking for, thing when I need it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
well, if every mall had Best Buy or Circuit City, then we wouldn't need Radio Shack. Unfortunately, most malls I know of only have Radio Shack or Bose stores.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I shop there a few times a year, mostly for work. We use several of their items such as transformers, soldering pencils, solder, fuses and bridge rectifiers. They also sell a ton of remote control cars, especially at Christmas. Most of the other shops in my area that sell all the above stuff have gone out of business. They are convenient for us to pick that up.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, I prefer this SPL meter over my Radio Shack SPL meter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/333306-REG/Galaxy_Audio_CM_130_CM_130_CHECK_MATE_.html

It's digital. It's easier for me to use. And I think the company has a better reputation than Radio Shack when it comes to SPL meters.
I'm not sure how much easier it can be, just set it to slow response and C weighted and that's it, then just adjust your volume level accordingly. The analog works well enough for most people that don't have continuosly variable gains.

majorloser

majorloser

I Would Never Shop at Radio Shack

Wasn't it Whitney Houston who said, "The Shack is whack." :rolleyes:

What she said :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure how much easier it can be, just set it to slow response and C weighted and that's it, then just adjust your volume level accordingly. The analog works well enough for most people that don't have continuosly variable gains.
Yeah, but don't you ever ask yourself the question, "Can I really trust Radio Shack?"

Maybe my Radio Shack analog SPL meter is broken or something because I always have to turn the volume WAY UP to get any kind of response, even when I set the dB dial to the lowest setting. With the Galaxy SPL, I always get a reading, even when it's just room noise @ 40dB. Since Galaxy-Audio also makes very expensive SPL meters, I'm thinking they are more trusted.

I mean, can you really trust Radio Shack enough to buy anything important?
I guess SPL meters aren't too important, but since we want the sound level match as best possible, I just don't trust Radio Shack.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I hated everytime they would ask for my phone number, politely I would say it's private, but they kept on asking, now they just ask me for my zip, annoying.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis