Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Atmos/DTS:X A/V Receiver Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Denon AVR-X3300W is a 7.2CH Atmos/DTS:X networking AV receiver rated at 105 watts/ch. It deliveres solid performance in every measurable category while also packing in all of the surround processing, music streaming and HD video support one expects in a modern "does everything" AV receiver. Kudos to Denon for innovating with their Audyysey editor App to customize room correction. This could prove to be an invaluable tool to consumers and installers alike, one that makes their product line stand out from their competition.

If you're looking for an affordable way of getting into immersive surround sound with all of the latest in music streaming and future expandability, the Denon AVR-X3300W is among the best options in AV receivers at this price point.

Read: Denon AVR-X3300W 7.2 Atmos/DTS:X A/V Receiver Review

M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
Whats the deal with that black piece with multiple holes above the circuit board? First time seeing this.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tried to read the article yesterday when you posted the thread and it wasn't up yet! I was very recently looking at getting the 3300, but found a really good deal on a SR6011. The 3300 is a very solid performer though. I came very close to getting it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recall Denon usually outperforms Yamaha in the 5Ch power output, but same in 2Ch.

Denon: 5Ch/8 ohms/1khz = 89 Watts, 2Ch/8 ohms/1khz = 132 Watts

Yamaha: 5Ch/8 ohms/1khz = 37 Watts, 2ch/8 ohms/1khz = 132 Watts

So Denon has Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ + Audyssey Editor App + more Power in 5Ch than Yamaha.

MSRP may be $100 more than Yamaha, but when it's on sale (have to wait until next year model release), the Denon X3000 series are usually $599 BRAND NEW on Amazon and Fry's.

For those you can't wait, right now you can get the X3300 OPEN BOX from Amazon Warehouse for $663.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01HL8KYAY/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I recall Denon usually outperforms Yamaha in the 5Ch power output, but same in 2Ch.

Denon: 5Ch/8 ohms/1khz = 89 Watts, 2Ch/8 ohms/1khz = 132 Watts

Yamaha: 5Ch/8 ohms/1khz = 37 Watts, 2ch/8 ohms/1khz = 132 Watts

So Denon has Audyssey XT32 Dynamic EQ + Audyssey Editor App + more Power in 5Ch than Yamaha.

MSRP may be $100 more than Yamaha, but when it's on sale (have to wait until next year model release), the Denon X3000 series are usually $599 BRAND NEW on Amazon and Fry's.

For those you can't wait, right now you can get the X3300 OPEN BOX from Amazon Warehouse for $663.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01HL8KYAY/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
It sucks when you due math, lol:p now your gonna have 10 posts explainin why the power output doesn't matter. It's just old farts that need multi channel "mono" to hear the dialog

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It sucks when you due math, lol:p now your gonna have 10 posts explainin why the power output doesn't matter. It's just old farts that need multi channel "mono" to hear the dialog
What may be more important is that the Yamaha isn't that great with 4 ohms loads. :eek:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What may be more important is that the Yamaha isn't that great with 4 ohms loads. :eek:
Yeah, but the demand would likely be minimal on the effects channel, your just spoiled with those sub speaker stands :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but the demand would likely minimal on the effects channel, your just spoiled with those sub speaker stands :D
No more speaker stands for me. That was ages ago. :D

Now I just have 5 big bad black towers of power. :D

Last edited:
M

Michael Auber

Audiophyte
Why did you state "You can connect up to seven speakers for a 7.1 or 5.2.2 speaker layout..."? Isn't a 7.2 speaker layout an option?

N

Nordvest

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for a great review!

I have a power amp with a rather high input sensitivity and I wondered if you could help me with a question. You write that: "I measured a whopping 4.5Vrms unclipped output, which is more than double the voltage needed to make virtually any amplifier reach full rated power". I was wondering what the volume setting on the Denon X3300 was when you hit 4,5Vrms and it started clipping? Was it -0db or higher/lower? In other words, how high can you set the volume before it starts clipping on the pre outs to the front (main) speakers?

Generally speaking, I see that the Denon is rated with an output of 1,2V and from the review that some noise sets in at 2Vrms. How loud do you have to play to reach those output levels? Are the output levels linear or logarithmic so that all those voltages first comes in to play when you turn the volume higher than for example -0db?

Sorry about posting so many questions and thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for a great review!

I have a power amp with a rather high input sensitivity and I wondered if you could help me with a question. You write that: "I measured a whopping 4.5Vrms unclipped output, which is more than double the voltage needed to make virtually any amplifier reach full rated power". I was wondering what the volume setting on the Denon X3300 was when you hit 4,5Vrms and it started clipping? Was it -0db or higher/lower? In other words, how high can you set the volume before it starts clipping on the pre outs to the front (main) speakers?

Generally speaking, I see that the Denon is rated with an output of 1,2V and from the review that some noise sets in at 2Vrms. How loud do you have to play to reach those output levels? Are the output levels linear or logarithmic so that all those voltages first comes in to play when you turn the volume higher than for example -0db?

Sorry about posting so many questions and thanks in advance for your help!
While waiting for Gene to respond, I can tell you what I know.

1. The specified 1.2V does not mean a whole lot, other manufacturers rate theirs even lower, such as 1.0V yet measured by 3rd party labs to be much higher. The issue is that we do not know what conditions the 1.2V is measured. It is like stating the output power is rated 100W without stating whether that's peak, average, input voltage, distortions, duration (continuous, a few seconds, 10 minutes etc.), load impedance, frequency response etc. This will be an issue until manufacturers are required to specify the rated output under conditions that are clearly stated in a "standard" that all have to comply.

2. The output level should be linear, if not, it would have been clipping. So I am sure before he reached the clipping point of 4.5V rms, the output was linear. What do you mean by "so that all those voltages first comes in to play when you turn the volume higher than for example -0db?"

N

Nordvest

Audioholic Intern
Hi,
Thanks for answering!

1. Yes, I find that part really frustrating, it's really hard to make sense of what the specifications really mean

2. English is a second language for me and I really struggle to write coherently about such a technical subject, I'm sorry :)
Let me try again:
With linear/logarithmic I meant if the voltage output follows the volume scale in a linear matter or if the voltage increases more for each step in the volume scale the higher it gets.
In other words, does each step on the volume scale always lead to the same increase in voltage out or does the increase in voltage out increase for each step towards the end

I guess I meant to ask where on the volume scale the voltage output from the pre outs are 2v and where you get to 4,5V and clipping. Fex: Do they output 2V (or 4,5 V) at -10db, -0db or +3db?
(The reason I ask is to know how far I can turn the volume up before I run in to clipping)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,
Thanks for answering!

1. Yes, I find that part really frustrating, it's really hard to make sense of what the specifications really mean

2. English is a second language for me and I really struggle to write coherently about such a technical subject, I'm sorry :)
Let me try again:
With linear/logarithmic I meant if the voltage output follows the volume scale in a linear matter or if the voltage increases more for each step in the volume scale the higher it gets.
In other words, does each step on the volume scale always lead to the same increase in voltage out or does the increase in voltage out increase for each step towards the end

I guess I meant to ask where on the volume scale the voltage output from the pre outs are 2v and where you get to 4,5V and clipping. Fex: Do they output 2V (or 4,5 V) at -10db, -0db or +3db?
(The reason I ask is to know how far I can turn the volume up before I run in to clipping)
Your volume control is relative so it's different for each load out. The preouts are sufficient to drive any amp. Your speakers are the draw, so the load they present is what the amp sees.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That depends on the input voltage and the gain of the preamp so it is not possible to give you a number.

Regarding your question on linear vs logarithmic, the amplifier amplifies linearly, but typically if you increase the volume from 0 to +1, you get 1 dB increase in sound pressure level, so that part is logarithmic. For example, the voltage has to increase 12.2% to get you just 1dB increase of spl, or 41.4% for 3dB increase in spl and 100% (double the voltage) to get 6dB increase of spl.

N

Nordvest

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I'm just talking about -10, -0db and so on on the volume control on the Denon and not the sound pressure from the speakers in the room. In essence,I want to know how high I can safely turn the volume control on the Denon before it starts clipping on the pre out

Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks, but how does this work in real life? For example: if I have 75db sound pressure in the room with the volume at -30db and let's say that's 1v, how much does the voltage increase if I turn it up to -20db on the amp to get 81db. Does the voltage then increase to 2v?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I'm just talking about -10, -0db and so on on the volume control on the Denon and not the sound pressure from the speakers in the room. In essence,I want to know how high I can safely turn the volume control on the Denon before it starts clipping on the pre out

Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks, but how does this work in real life? For example: if I have 75db sound pressure in the room with the volume at -30db and let's say that's 1v, how much does the voltage increase if I turn it up to -20db on the amp to get 81db. Does the voltage then increase to 2v?
There is a problem in your example. If you increase your volume from -30 to -20, you should get 85dB not 81dB.

If you are getting 75dB spl at 1V, volume at -30, then at volume -20, the voltage will increase to about 3.162V,(square root of 10), and that would result in the power output increase by 10 times for a 10dB gain of spl.

Basically you need double (2X) the power to gain 3dB of spl, 4X the power to gain 6dB and 10X power to gain 10dB spl.

The math involved is not complicated but it does involve logarithm, that's why I created an Excel spreadsheet to do the calculations quickly and easily.

N

Nordvest

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I miscalculated, too many numbers involved :)

Thanks, that example and those numbers makes it much clearer!

Now I just need to know where's 2V or 4,5V is on the volume scale of the x3300 and I should be good to go :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I miscalculated, too many numbers involved :)

Thanks, that example and those numbers makes it much clearer!

Now I just need to know where's 2V or 4,5V is on the volume scale of the x3300 and I should be good to go :)
I can guessimate a number. Do you have a good multimeter?

N

Nordvest

Audioholic Intern
No, we have one, but I don't know if it's any good and I don't really know how to use it, but a guessimate would be nice :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis