bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Thought I'd show a little of what I've been lucky to get.
100_3996.jpg100_4000.jpg100_4001.jpg100_4003.jpg100_3785.jpg

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Nice! That center blocking the TV would bug the pixels out of me.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
It does. Hopefully I can take care of it soon.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Looks grate buddy :) perhaps a new unit to fix that Center issue?

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
I had the same situation; An AV unit without room for the centre. Gave up and and just stuck the TV on top of the speaker. Never looked back. Good lookin' towers.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
I had the same situation; An AV unit without room for the centre. Gave up and and just stuck the TV on top of the speaker. Never looked back. Good lookin' towers.
You know what that's exactly what I did. I sat the TV on the center speaker I need some new pics to update the look. I think the TV still is too high up but I'm sure you guys will let me know. Oh thanks for the compliment.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Here y'all go a couple more pics. Couple of questions though.
1st: The bottom tv is 36in off the ground is that o.k?
2nd: Will that speaker hold that TV?? It looks ok and doesn't seem stressed or under pressure.

100_4020.jpg100_4021.jpg100_4022.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^much better. As long as your not moving cables or moving stuff around you'll be fine. Perfect balance of your TV/Center. The only thing I would do is put the sub next to the TV, so your speakers have a better wider soundstage and angle the speakers inward(Toe-in) a bit. Enjoy!

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Here y'all go a couple more pics. Couple of questions though.
1st: The bottom tv is 36in off the ground is that o.k?
2nd: Will that speaker hold that TV?? It looks ok and doesn't seem stressed or under pressure.

1- I wouldn't have any other way. I'm done with TVs near the floor. I find a higher set TV to be more comfortable to watch.
2- Mine's an old 'n heavy 32", and it's been like that for 9 years now. Center speaker has not bent, curved or changed in anyway from it. I doubt a few inches more would make much of a difference, specially if the TV's stand is more or less flush with the speakers' outer edges..

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Well thank you sir, I believe that now it's there I like it very well. I also at the suggestion from Afterlife moved the sub to the inside of the left front speaker and reran Audessey and, man what a difference. I could control things much better and have much better sound now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
First of all - a Virtual Fist bump for another 8 series Onkyo AVR owners - disregard the naysayers !!

Nice setup. +1 for TV on the center. the tv base matches center speaker size perfectly. did you tried a sub crawl? Front sub positioning is not necessarily best option Don't forget per af2 suggestion to add a 5% toe-in for speakers.

Speaking of Onkyo - it is known to run hot - keeping it in enclosed cabinet is probably not best idea. Do you have any rear ventilation for it? - which preferably should be active (aka fan)

Last edited:
bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! After my debacle with my service center concerning my 818 dying.. Y'all can read all about it here www.bluray.com/forums/audio/recivers/my 818 died.. I bought one of these from amazon got it for less than half the showing price now. Just didn't update my pics with it and I always run it with the door open.. It's dark for the most part... who can see?? LOL. SO Far SO Good/ Sorry for posting another site didn't know if it was o.k. or not. Sorry again.
[h=1]Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler for Media PC Home Theater Products
[/h]

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
So the Antec I bought is no good then? It sucks air off the of the unit and throws it out the back. I mean I don't want to sound ugly or anything but.. It has 2 rather large fans in it. Please explain to me the difference between the 2? And to tell you the truth my 818 despite what e/1 has said so far has never really run hot. Not HOT like my 605 does. My 605 felt like you could cook eggs on it. It never really has even gotten warm per say. My 605 is over 6yes old now and I still have it and never had a failure but after 10mos of rare use like maybe 8-16 hrs use a week the 818 died and then took 2 months to have them get it back to me. And from what they tell me it was a major failure. Not the run of the mill HDMI failure they are known for. I mean I like the idea of more cooling but if I removed the back of the unit where my 818 is would that help? I was going to do that anyway b/c my cables and the 818 have no room back there. Sorry for such a lengthy post. I just am curious that's all. In fact at amazon they even list the part that I bought with the 1 you're recommending.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks good from the amazon pics. Just keep the doors open when in use. Any updated pictures?:)

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Not yet. I have a hard time adding pics to this site for some reason. But it basically looks like that except that my 818 is black and you really cant see it except for the blue light.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I have a cooling fan on the inside of my case dragging hot air out and one blowing cool air in seems to work for me

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So the Antec I bought is no good then?
It's alright. It wouldn't be my first choice.

It sucks air off the of the unit and throws it out the back.
Which is all fine and great, except the air is still trapped in the closed cabinet, which means it's not really cooling anything after awhile.

I mean I don't want to sound ugly or anything but.. It has 2 rather large fans in it.
Eh, those fans aren't that big.

Please explain to me the difference between the 2?
The Antec pulls air up and through the Onkyo, but does nothing about the surrounding air and temperature in the cabinet. The other unit pulls the hot air out of the cabinet, forcing cooler air to find a way in through the front cracks.

I mean I like the idea of more cooling but if I removed the back of the unit where my 818 is would that help? I was going to do that anyway b/c my cables and the 818 have no room back there. Sorry for such a lengthy post. I just am curious that's all. In fact at amazon they even list the part that I bought with the 1 you're recommending.
Removing the back of the cabinet will definitely help.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
First i do want to thank everyone involved with this thread even you BoredSysAdmin LOL. I figured that you were very clear with what you had to say and probably was tired of hearing from this old man. I do understand what you were saying I just didn't see if I removed the back of the unit if that would fix things or not. I'm sure I'm a bit of a stickler but I appriciated everything that everybody came with. So again Thank you to ALL.. Im not mad or frustrated and I feel pretty good after our chat. it's all cool buddy..

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am glad you are taking it lightly.
Yes it would be frustrating to deal with malfunctioning equipment, but it's also an opportunity to upgrade it.
That's what happen to me few years back then 5 year old 42" LG plasma tv died on me and I swapped it for 55" Panasonic plasma :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis