My piece of A/V heaven

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Got one hell of a deal on a mint Pioneer Elite CLD-99 laserdisc player

I know that right now high def is the only way to fly, which is why I have 2 Blu-ray players and two HD DVD players. But here recently I came upon over 300 mint LD's (many of them boxed sets), and felt it was time to replace my DVL-919 with a bit better of a machine. So I looked around and found one that was selling for $150.00! I figured something had to be wrong with it, like scratches, scuffed up, missing remote, etc.

Well I just received it today, and damn if it doesn't look like a brand new machine! This thing is about as perfect looking as it can get! The person who owned it must not have used it very much, because it doesn't have any scuffs, scratches or actually any signs of wear. Even the remote and owners manual look new.

So even though it's old technology, I have to say that this is one gorgeous LD player. And from what I've read, probably the best LD player Pioneer ever made. I know the CLD 97 was top dog, but even that machine doesn't have all the extra goodies this one does. And for $150 dollars, it's a downright steal! I played some LD's and this thing works flawlessly.

Just wanted to share my cool nostalgic trip down LD lane.

Here's some pics of the player.

Seth

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
oh wow, thats a very nice LD unit. love the finish on Pio gear. Like the rest of your gear and setup also. Am I correct in thinking I saw your setup over at BluRay.com as well.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
oh wow, thats a very nice LD unit. love the finish on Pio gear. Like the rest of your gear and setup also. Am I correct in thinking I saw your setup over at BluRay.com as well.
Thanks.;)

Yes you'd be correct, I do have my setup over at Blu-ray.com also.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I have the CLD-97. Piece of crap broke down on me twice in a short period of time when I bought mine back in the day. The first time was covered by warranty and the 2nd time I just said screw it and I believe it's in my closet. That machine really pissed me off. Ha! I'm curious about how much you had to pay for the laserdiscs. I still have my LD's although not quite 300. What are your thoughts about the picture quality compared to dvd today? Like you said, definitely nostalgic.

Last edited:
Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
I have the CLD-97. Piece of crap broke down on me twice in a short period of time when I bought mine back in the day. The first time was covered by warranty and the 2nd time I just said screw it and I believe it's in my closet. That machine really pissed me off. Ha! I'm curious about how much you had to pay for the laserdiscs. I still have my LD's although not quite 300. What are your thoughts about the picture quality compared to dvd today? Like you said, definitely nostalgic.
Well that really sucked, I would have been pretty upset as well. I used to own Pioneer's top model under the Elite line (CLD-D703) and it worked well for years until it finally bit it. The DVL-919 replaced it and has served me well, but it is far from being the optimal LD player (cheap remote with no jog/shuttle, mediocre PQ, and so so build quality.

I probably would still be using the 919 had I not come across this super deal on the 99.

Re the LD's, I actually got them from a private owner for under $50.

Seth

L

ldgibson76

Junior Audioholic
Hello Seth.

I don't know if you remember me, but we have exchanged posts on another forum. Well nothing has changed. I still feel the same about your system. It is still the standard! Superb!

How are things?!

Regards.

ldgibson76

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Hello Seth.

I don't know if you remember me, but we have exchanged posts on another forum. Well nothing has changed. I still feel the same about your system. It is still the standard! Superb!

How are things?!

Regards.

ldgibson76
Hey there! Good to hear from you my friend.:)

First off, thank you for the kind words, it means a lot.;) Things are going pretty well, thanks for asking. I have some big plans for my system this year. As you know, I'm planning on getting Denon's upcoming DVD-A1UDCI universal Blu-ray player. Later on in the year I plan on adding some acoustical room treatments. And if all goes well I want to replace all of the Paradigm surround Mini Monitors with Martin Logan Script i's.

And something that I would like to get, but not sure yet if I will be able to, is an Audyssey Pro kit. This way I can take the Audyssey calibration that extra step forward.

I am totally enjoying my setup the way it is right now, but all these little extras will be so nice.:)

Seth

L

ldgibson76

Junior Audioholic
Hey there! Good to hear from you my friend.:)

First off, thank you for the kind words, it means a lot.;) Things are going pretty well, thanks for asking. I have some big plans for my system this year. As you know, I'm planning on getting Denon's upcoming DVD-A1UDCI universal Blu-ray player. Later on in the year I plan on adding some acoustical room treatments. And if all goes well I want to replace all of the Paradigm surround Mini Monitors with Martin Logan Script i's.

And something that I would like to get, but not sure yet if I will be able to, is an Audyssey Pro kit. This way I can take the Audyssey calibration that extra step forward.

I am totally enjoying my setup the way it is right now, but all these little extras will be so nice.:)

Seth

Hello Seth.
Can't wait to see the upgrades!

I have some major plans for my system also. Hopefully the changes wil take place over the summer.

I'll keep you posted!

Regards.

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Beautiful setup!!

Like everyone else here I am jealous. It's always good to see someone else who has the Martin Logan bug.

I just bought a pair of ML Summits and a couple of Emotiva amps(RPA-2 & XPA-5)that will be replacing my Aerius i's and B&K 307 for my two front channels. I've been toying with the idea of making them surrounds, but I think my wife will kill me. They'll probably be relegated to the bedroom setup. The B&K will stay until the UMC-1 is released.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Hello Seth.
Can't wait to see the upgrades!

I have some major plans for my system also. Hopefully the changes wil take place over the summer.

I'll keep you posted!

Regards.
Thanks.:)

Looking forward to seeing what all you do with your setup as well.;) Yes definitely keep me posted.

Seth

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Beautiful setup!!

Like everyone else here I am jealous. It's always good to see someone else who has the Martin Logan bug.

I just bought a pair of ML Summits and a couple of Emotiva amps(RPA-2 & XPA-5)that will be replacing my Aerius i's and B&K 307 for my two front channels. I've been toying with the idea of making them surrounds, but I think my wife will kill me. They'll probably be relegated to the bedroom setup. The B&K will stay until the UMC-1 is released.
Thanks.;)

Very cool, another ML owner.:) Summits are sweet! Congrats!! I have heard very good things about Emotiva amps, I bet they'll be an excellent match for your Logans.

If you could use your Aerius i's as surrounds that would be awesome (that's what I'm doing and I love the sound). But like you said, that may not fly too well with your wife. But it's interesting as Martin Logans in general usually have a very high WAF.

When you get a chance I would love to see some pics of your setup.

Seth

Now Slappy

Now Slappy

Audioholic
Thanks.;)

Very cool, another ML owner.:) Summits are sweet! Congrats!! I have heard very good things about Emotiva amps, I bet they'll be an excellent match for your Logans.

If you could use your Aerius i's as surrounds that would be awesome (that's what I'm doing and I love the sound). But like you said, that may not fly too well with your wife. But it's interesting as Martin Logans in general usually have a very high WAF.

When you get a chance I would love to see some pics of your setup.

Seth
Thanks Seth.

I've been holding off putting up pics of my setup because I want to do a nice little before and after type thing. I'm basically redoing the entire setup(except for the surrounds, they're in walls/in ceilings.) Right now I have the new Logans sitting here in my office along with the XPA-5 and RPA-2 from Emotiva. All I have left to buy is a new display (probably another 73" Mitzu...my wife baulked when I mentioned the new 82"), a stand for it and my components, and the UMC-1 from Emotiva when it's released. I may even spring for the new Oppo BDP883 when it's released, but I might have to keep that on the down low or my wife may start cutting off extremities.

It's been about ten years since any serious upgrades, and I thought the time was right.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Thanks Seth.

I've been holding off putting up pics of my setup because I want to do a nice little before and after type thing. I'm basically redoing the entire setup(except for the surrounds, they're in walls/in ceilings.) Right now I have the new Logans sitting here in my office along with the XPA-5 and RPA-2 from Emotiva. All I have left to buy is a new display (probably another 73" Mitzu...my wife baulked when I mentioned the new 82"), a stand for it and my components, and the UMC-1 from Emotiva when it's released. I may even spring for the new Oppo BDP883 when it's released, but I might have to keep that on the down low or my wife may start cutting off extremities.

It's been about ten years since any serious upgrades, and I thought the time was right.
Oooh, an 82" Mits would have been awesome! But a 73" is no slouch either.:)

Yes, that Oppo is going to be an amazing player. And once it's released it should be a finished product with little to no bugs. I think you're gonna love it! I really hope that when the upcoming Denon A1UDCI is finally released, it also is bug free.

After 10 years since your last serious upgrades, I think you definitely deserve all the cool stuff you're getting.;) Looking forward to the pics once you get it all in place.:)

Seth

L

ldgibson76

Junior Audioholic
I know that right now high def is the only way to fly, which is why I have 2 Blu-ray players and two HD DVD players. But here recently I came upon over 300 mint LD's (many of them boxed sets), and felt it was time to replace my DVL-919 with a bit better of a machine. So I looked around and found one that was selling for $150.00! I figured something had to be wrong with it, like scratches, scuffed up, missing remote, etc.

Well I just received it today, and damn if it doesn't look like a brand new machine! This thing is about as perfect looking as it can get! The person who owned it must not have used it very much, because it doesn't have any scuffs, scratches or actually any signs of wear. Even the remote and owners manual look new.

So even though it's old technology, I have to say that this is one gorgeous LD player. And from what I've read, probably the best LD player Pioneer ever made. I know the CLD 97 was top dog, but even that machine doesn't have all the extra goodies this one does. And for $150 dollars, it's a downright steal! I played some LD's and this thing works flawlessly.

Just wanted to share my cool nostalgic trip down LD lane.

Here's some pics of the player.

Seth
Hello Seth!

How is my hero doing?!:D

Dude, I can't believe I missed this previous post regarding the fabulous find! that Laser Disc player was originally a Japan only product. It's beautiful!
Now, are you running S-Video to your Pre-Pro and upconverting the signal to HDMI 1080i/P or are you running it straight to the tv?
And how is the image quality?!
I had a Pioneer Elite LD player back in 1995-1997. I sold it as soon as I acquired my first dvd player (Panasonic DVD-A300/talk about ol' school!:D).
I regret it to this day!

I see you are still waiting for that uber-Denon universal to become available. Is there a new ETA for the player or is public still in limbo!?!

One more question, The Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature multi-channel amp, I have a bead on one. How do like yours?!

Regards.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Hello Seth!

How is my hero doing?!:D

Dude, I can't believe I missed this previous post regarding the fabulous find! that Laser Disc player was originally a Japan only product. It's beautiful!
Now, are you running S-Video to your Pre-Pro and upconverting the signal to HDMI 1080i/P or are you running it straight to the tv?
And how is the image quality?!
I had a Pioneer Elite LD player back in 1995-1997. I sold it as soon as I acquired my first dvd player (Panasonic DVD-A300/talk about ol' school!:D).
I regret it to this day!

I see you are still waiting for that uber-Denon universal to become available. Is there a new ETA for the player or is public still in limbo!?!

One more question, The Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature multi-channel amp, I have a bead on one. How do like yours?!

Regards.
Doing well my friend.;) How are you doing?

Yes it was a heck of a find! As I said, this thing is mint! It looks like it had little to no use. It is also the newest build before they stopped making it.

I don't use it nearly as much as I use my Blu-ray player and HD DVD player, but it still does get used for those certain movies that are not yet available on Blu-ray or DVD.

I originally had it going through the Denon AVP, upconverted to 1080p. It looked really good, but there was just too much video processing going on with the player and then the AVP (some noticeable motion blur artifacts). So now it's going direct to the TV via composite video, and I just let the player do its thing.

Re the uber-Denon universal player, there are actually a few available right now. It started shipping in the US on May 29th, but most of the players are going to ones who pre-ordered. There are still some available, but the stores that have those in stock are asking full retail or almost full retail.

I plan on getting one very soon (within a month), but I am looking for at least some kind of discount off full msrp. Now if I'm not able to get one from this initial batch, I may have to wait until the next batch of players becomes available.

Re my Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature- Series II, I absolutely love it!:) It has done everything I've wanted it to, and is stable to very low impedances (4 ohm). It outputs 850 watts x 5 @ 4ohms, and even after a full evening of watching action movies, the amp only gets lightly warm to the touch. It's an awesome amp that I highly recommend!

Seth

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
My Denon A1UDCI has arrived!

I have been lusting for this player ever since I first learned about its development last year, and now I finally have one.:)

This player is as good as it gets for both PQ and sound. As much as I loved my 2500BTCI, this player is in another league! The images from Blu-ray's have a dimensionality and extra detail that makes the 2500BTCI look flat by comparison. Listening to CD's via the balanced XLR's, using the players 32 bit AKM DAC's is a real treat! My Sony XA20ES CD player has been my reference player for years, but the A1 edges it out.

So far the A1 is very impressive!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just mentioned getting chills at viewing your system in my theater thread. Now, I'm also drooling. :)

Congrats on the new player! I always thought that a blu-ray player was a blu-ray player. I never really thought that one would look better than another. I appreciate you sharing your experience. You've given me something to think about.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
I just mentioned getting chills at viewing your system in my theater thread. Now, I'm also drooling. :)

Congrats on the new player! I always thought that a blu-ray player was a blu-ray player. I never really thought that one would look better than another. I appreciate you sharing your experience. You've given me something to think about.
Thank you Adam.:)

Yeah I always thought that all Blu-ray's would look the same on any quality player. The A1 has literally opened my eyes. The PQ has an almost 3d look to it. An already great looking disc is just taken to the next level with the A1. And the sound from Blu-ray's via HDMI to the Denon AVP using Denon Link 4th clocking, is just icing on the cake.:)

Denon really pulled out all the stops when they designed this player.

Seth

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis