Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got a VTF 15H MK2 and I've seriously considered getting a second but I'm just not sure how big of a difference it would make. Specifically, would it be a difference worth another $1,000+? What are your guy's thoughts?

This is one of those times I wished Hsu offered the free home trial with free shipping both ways like some of the other ID sub/speaker companies offer. I would have had a second one here to try out as soon as I realized how much I liked the first one, which was pretty much immediately. :)
As you have probably read a thousand times on audio forums... it depends. I have a lot of space to pressurize (~5900^3), so I think duals is almost a necessity in my case.

*Edit: Doesn't Hsu offer a 30 trial period?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shipping would be substantial on a VTF15h mk2. You are looking at something like $250 for both ways.

Moving to dual subs is one of the more significant upgrades you can do, but it really helps to have a way to measure the system response if you do so.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, unfortunately shipping is now $169 each way if I don't want to keep it.

I like the way you're thinking though! :D
Truthfully, I edited the part about shipping in after I remembered it. Kinda took some of the wind out of my post... :p

I agree. The shipping on one of those is substantial, but I only paid about $150 s&h for both of mine. I know the 15H MK2 is heavier too tho. Still, you're out a chunk of money if you don't like it, though I doubt that'd be the case. ;)

Last edited:
yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
Still, you're out a chunk of money if you don't like it, though I doubt that'd be the case. ;)
Truthfully, that's probably my biggest fear. :D

I don't remember if you said, but did you try different locations for the 2nd sub. I'm pretty limited on where it could go. In fact, it would be placed like yours except not horizontal (don't think I'd have the room). It would go just opposite of the existing one.

IMG_0188.JPG

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought a wireless transmitter/receiver and lugged one of those subs everywhere in the room that had an outlet nearby and found that up front was just the best spot from where I sit. You can check out my post in Pros n Joe's for a big picture of most of my room too see what I'm dealing with. I even tried a few spots in the side room.

I returned the transmitter, put some ice on my neck the next day and called it good. Flipping them on their sides was purely for aesthetics, but I was pleasantly surprised by a better bass response to boot.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
I've got a VTF 15H MK2 and I've seriously considered getting a second but I'm just not sure how big of a difference it would make. Specifically, would it be a difference worth another $1,000+? What are your guy's thoughts?

This is one of those times I wished Hsu offered the free home trial with free shipping both ways like some of the other ID sub/speaker companies offer. I would have had a second one here to try out as soon as I realized how much I liked the first one, which was pretty much immediately. :)
Could I have made do without #2? Yes - my space is small and I can't go loud for the neighbors. I'm thinking future when I will have a bigger space. I had the money now. Boom.

Now that it is here, I couldn't be more pleased. It's a great sound and I can't find a dead spot.

If you're looking for a second, there's nothing saying you have to have two of the same. Could you go smaller?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Could I have made do without #2? Yes - my space is small and I can't go loud for the neighbors. I'm thinking future when I will have a bigger space. I had the money now. Boom.

Now that it is here, I couldn't be more pleased. It's a great sound and I can't find a dead spot.

If you're looking for a second, there's nothing saying you have to have two of the same. Could you go smaller?
Better off going with the same sub, or at least one with similar capabilities. The bigger one would be limited by the smaller one.

It's the same for me now too. There aren't many dead spots through the whole area. Even the kitchen and side room.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Better off going with the same sub, or at least one with similar capabilities. The bigger one would be limited by the smaller one.

It's the same for me now too. There aren't many dead spots through the whole area. Even the kitchen and side room.
Didn't know that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say its safer just to use subs that are the same or of very similar performance characteristics. If you really know what stresses your subs and know what placement in-room brings the most benefit to which frequency band, you can safely mix some subs that have different performance characteristics, but you really have to know what you are doing for that to be worthwhile. Some subs can be mixed with more powerful subs if they have strong limiters that prevent them from running into heavy distortion. SVS's ported subs have such limiters, they can't really be made to make a bad noise and so will not inhibit the performance of a more powerful sub, although if they are majorly outdistanced in performance by the other sub, they might not be able to make a meaningful contribution either.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree, if you can use the same sub in a multiple deployment, definitely go that route.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
More pics with new surrounds (Pioneer SP-BS22A) and center (Pioneer SP-EC73 to match the mains).
surrounds.jpg close surround.jpg front.jpg close front.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haven't tried Tidal. It's pricier than Pandora One - scared me away:(
I may be keeping myself from a good experience but i won't do tidal just because of the affiliation with that piece of garbage kanye. He doesn't need any more money for doing nothing. And whining about it...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I may be keeping myself from a good experience but i won't do tidal just because of the affiliation with that piece of garbage kanye. He doesn't need any more money for doing nothing. And whining about it...
Agreed 10000000000000000000000000%! Well said.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Moved into my new townhome a couple weeks ago and finally have it presentable for pics. 1500 total sq ft, only about 650 on the main level. The sound was terribly bright when I first setup 2-ch - wood floors and a lot of glass (great mountain views). Curtains and rugs helped immensely and I suspect it will further improve once the cellular blinds are up.
living room from kitchen.jpg left rear.jpg right rear.jpg
Sub 1 is near the far window, beneath the pictures. Sub 2 is beneath the table holding the LR. RR is beneath the large painting.

And here's the front. Running 4.2.2. - such a small space I'm not sure about using the center. The 55" Samsung is on a Monoprice pull-down - works like a champ. Regrettably, I didn't have much choice than an over-fireplace mount. The gear is in the closet adjacent to the screen. I keep the door open now but I should be able to close it soon - I picked up a Harmony Elite. I also have to open up some ventilation in the ceiling of the closet with a small fan.
front stage.jpg gear closet.jpg
I ran 14 AWG across the ceiling and terminate it on each end with plates
main terminal plates.jpg
The builder wouldn't let run the wire prior to sheetrock (liability concern, they said - hogwash!) so it was a bit more difficult than it should have been.

All in all, I'm pleased.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Took the plunge for a year of Pandora Plus. Worth it for me to drop the adds and have more control. Quality isn't bad.
Still in my one year period of Pandora but don't like the lack of variety. I'm on day two of a one week Spotify free trial. I've been listening all evening and am absolutely impressed by the variety. Spotify is pricier than Pandora but it may be worth it. Sound quality seems better too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis