DHicks

Audioholic Intern
I wanted to show my humble system. I’m very happy with the sound. For a long time, all I could do was a Pioneer VSX-820, Klipsch quintet IIs, and a Klipsch KSW-10 because of WAF. I suppose I never knew what I was missing. Anyway, WAF is no longer a concern (long story for a different venue), which is why I’m in the 1400 sq ft apt.

Now running 4.1.2 with a Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 driving Pioneer SP-ESF73 mains and a Hsu VTF2-MK5. TV is Samsung JS8500 55 inch. BD player is Samsung 7500. Sennheiser 558s for when I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

upload_2017-3-31_19-20-45.png

upload_2017-3-31_19-21-9.png

and Klipsch RF-10 surrounds.

The old gear will go with my son to college (finishing freshman year), which is more than I ever had at that age. The sofa will also go with the boy, as I recently added the recliners.
upload_2017-3-31_19-21-54.png

upload_2017-3-31_19-22-25.png

All in all, very happy for now, though I will probably be adding a matching CC soon. Otherwise the speakers are fantastic. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Hsu! I run it sealed, EQ1, Q 0.5 for most music and open one port and go Q 0.7 for movies.

My one regret is with the AVR. I wish I would have been dialed into these forums before I started buying. I would have splurged a bit more for the Denon 4300 to have Audyssey and pre-outs for potential growth. Oh, well. The boy will (hopefully) graduate in three years. That might just be the time for another upgrade.

I guess I’m hooked, now that I have a small taste of quality sound.

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I wish I had that much living room to play with, nice setup!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty sweet! I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5s and I love them too. That looks like a great setup for your space. Nice.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Hsu #2 arrived!
upload_2017-4-15_15-24-53.png
Unfortunately, the 20ft RCA isn't due to arrive until Monday, so I'm using a 4 ft, which explains the close (not final) placement.
from the door.jpg
The place is very cluttered with furniture now. I originally ordered two recliners, one of which came busted. The company sent another with direction to return the busted one upon receipt. The replacement was also busted, though. I asked to just keep all 3, knowing I could fix them. They were eager to avoid yet more shipping costs. Turns out, with an hour's labor and a $3 board, I've got 3 chairs! Sweet. Just gotta get rid of that sofa.
from the kitchen.jpg from the lava.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hsu #2 arrived!
View attachment 20604
Unfortunately, the 20ft RCA isn't due to arrive until Monday, so I'm using a 4 ft, which explains the close (not final) placement.
View attachment 20605
The place is very cluttered with furniture now. I originally ordered two recliners, one of which came busted. The company sent another with direction to return the busted one upon receipt. The replacement was also busted, though. I asked to just keep all 3, knowing I could fix them. They were eager to avoid yet more shipping costs. Turns out, with an hour's labor and a $3 board, I've got 3 chairs! Sweet. Just gotta get rid of that sofa.
View attachment 20607 View attachment 20608
WOO HOO! I'm having a great flashback right now! Don't be afraid to post a couple more. I can't wait to hear some of your impressions.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm very vary disappointed no Flintstones on the screen. WHAT the daba do? Looking good anyways. Ha ha ha. Enjoy.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
WOO HOO! I'm having a great flashback right now! Don't be afraid to post a couple more. I can't wait to hear some of your impressions.
Thanks, Pogre. Will do.

Funny thing, even so oddly placed, it still makes a positive difference. Can't wait to get it dialed in. Even better, I'm building a townhome that will finish this summer. Volume will be less of concern

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Couple more pics with final (I think) sub placement...

One is nearfield, between the chairs. LP is the chair nearest the loveseat. I like the convenience of just reaching over for adjustments. Keeping this one sealed.
upload_2017-4-16_18-13-31.png
The other remains in the corner, although I did turn it a bit to accommodate some furniture shuffling. For now, I'm keeping one port open on this one for a deeper dig. That corner gives a very good response.

upload_2017-4-16_18-12-34.png
Pogre, curious...what are you doing with your ports? Same on both subs?

Just noticed Linda Ronstadt on the screen in that last shot. Love her voice!

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Took the plunge for a year of Pandora Plus. Worth it for me to drop the adds and have more control. Quality isn't bad.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice. When your son gets that couch out of there, it'll open it up a lot more too. Any first impressions on how it compares to just having the one?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Couple more pics with final (I think) sub placement...

One is nearfield, between the chairs. LP is the chair nearest the loveseat. I like the convenience of just reaching over for adjustments. Keeping this one sealed.
View attachment 20620
The other remains in the corner, although I did turn it a bit to accommodate some furniture shuffling. For now, I'm keeping one port open on this one for a deeper dig. That corner gives a very good response.

View attachment 20619
Pogre, curious...what are you doing with your ports? Same on both subs?

Just noticed Linda Ronstadt on the screen in that last shot. Love her voice!
Both ports open on both, Q7. I haven't experimented with having them each on different settings.

Here are a couple things Kevin (HsuKevin on AVS) , from Hsu had to say.

"Just to throw out some other experiences that I, as well as many of our customers, have had. We wound up setting up most of our variable tuning subs to EQ 2, 2 ports open. We were getting a good amount of room gain in the deeper bass, so even though we had our subs set to EQ 2, 2 ports open, the subs still played flat down to 15 Hz in room. Also setting it to two ports open allows it to give us more clean headroom and output, with a wider dynamic range. In one port open, there would have resulted in a good amount of boost in the low bass which would have made the material sound unnatural and boomy, with about the same extension. So which setting you go with ultimately depends on your room acoustics."

Coincidentally, he's who I got on the phone when I called to ask about the glue used for the logos.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Nice. When your son gets that couch out of there, it'll open it up a lot more too. Any first impressions on how it compares to just having the one?
There's certainly more...presence. I think that's a good word for it. Mind you, I can't crank it in this place.

Rented Dr. Strange this afternoon (definitely a buy). Superb sounds there. I felt like I was in an ocean of bass. One sub was great, two is...fulfilling.

I don't have a mic or even an eq function for multiple subs. MCACC does only so much. So, my descriptors are toucy-feely, I know. I just don't know how else to describe it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's certainly more...presence. I think that's a good word for it. Mind you, I can't crank it in this place.

Rented Dr. Strange this afternoon (definitely a buy). Superb sounds there. I felt like I was in an ocean of bass. One sub was great, two is...fulfilling.

I don't have a mic or even an eq function for multiple subs. MCACC does only so much. So, my descriptors are toucy-feely, I know. I just don't know how else to describe it.
I'm in the same boat, though I have Audyssey silver. Tomato, tomotto. I still need a mic and dsp.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Both ports open on both, Q7. I haven't experimented with having them each on different settings.

Here are a couple things Kevin (HsuKevin on AVS) , from Hsu had to say.

"Just to throw out some other experiences that I, as well as many of our customers, have had. We wound up setting up most of our variable tuning subs to EQ 2, 2 ports open. We were getting a good amount of room gain in the deeper bass, so even though we had our subs set to EQ 2, 2 ports open, the subs still played flat down to 15 Hz in room. Also setting it to two ports open allows it to give us more clean headroom and output, with a wider dynamic range. In one port open, there would have resulted in a good amount of boost in the low bass which would have made the material sound unnatural and boomy, with about the same extension. So which setting you go with ultimately depends on your room acoustics."

Coincidentally, he's who I got on the phone when I called to ask about the glue used for the logos.
OK...I'll do some more experimenting.

I spoke with Kevin also. Nice guy and very helpful. I called instead of ordering online to make sure I got the one B-stock sub there - didn't want to take any chances.

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
Took the plunge for a year of Pandora Plus. Worth it for me to drop the adds and have more control. Quality isn't bad.
Have you tried Tidal? I've been using it for about a month and it sounds way better than anything else I've tried.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
OK...I'll do some more experimenting.
Oh yes, that you will. ;)

It seemed daunting to me at first, learning how and what the settings all do, but it quickly became the fun part. I've had them a couple months now and as you've seen, I'm still experimenting with them! When I flipped them on their sides and ran Audyssey again (1 port open, eq1, Q7 as recommended), it trimmed them 2 more db from where they were when they were standing. Every adjustment I play with that makes it sound better feels like I upgraded again. :cool:

I do use 1 port, eq 1 when I'm listening to stuff just for the bass, like Shady's Subwoofer Candy thread. I've grown to prefer the output and headroom with 2 open when listening to music.

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
WOO HOO! I'm having a great flashback right now!
I've got a VTF 15H MK2 and I've seriously considered getting a second but I'm just not sure how big of a difference it would make. Specifically, would it be a difference worth another $1,000+? What are your guy's thoughts?

This is one of those times I wished Hsu offered the free home trial with free shipping both ways like some of the other ID sub/speaker companies offer. I would have had a second one here to try out as soon as I realized how much I liked the first one, which was pretty much immediately. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis