A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
TOTAL RECALL (2012) Dolby TrueHD issue resolved.
Enjoying the film (without audio-drop-outs).

Hauser/Quaid, enters a factor, the JBL 8330 handle the lows nicely. Switching on the overhead/below surround with surround sub bass extension puts in a deeper punchy low end as a machine works. Some of pa voices sound nicely placed on the overhead surrounds.

Waterfall left surround channel chapter 14, 1hr 42min.13sec

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
TOTAL RECALL (2012) chapter 15 interesting sound scene where a security guard patrols around the complex on the lower level to where Quaid, is on level above the voice on the radio is heard to stage left then pans to centre stage.

The scene would be great if there was 9 screen channel upper LCR below LCR along with the common middle LCR. The sound if tracked from below stage left below center stage channel then as camera moves away as does the original pan on middle stage left, the sound should pan below stage left channel if there was 9 screen channel.

Guards radio is heard on stage left and would sound better if there was 9 stage channel on below stage left.

Guards radio now pans across to centre stage and would sound better if it was on below centre stage channel since he at lower elevation on screen.

Sound of the radio still on left stage.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Finished sanding down the (no nails hard as nails now). Wiped the surface over with damp kitchen tissue dried it off and gave it light coat of black spray paint.

That's as best as I can do with it and looking at it from across the room is damn sight better than how it arrived two days ago. Blundering butterfingered Parcel Force, the Muppets.

I can't stand the smell of spray paint.

Should be touch dry in a moment. Then I can load the drivers in and connect it up for some frequency sweep test.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Drivers fitted back into place and frequency sweep tests performed and plated at loudest listening for any resonate/rattle/buzzes and tightened down a tweeter where I noticed small buzz due to sound pressure in the lower register and listened again and its sorted and ready for install soon.

Drivers fitted back inside.

Grill fitted back on.

JBL 8330 place on back row seat using a cable undone from one of the other side wall surrounds for testing.

Select Test Signal on Dolby CP500.

Select channel output.

Select type of sound test in this case I want Swept Sine.

Tests conducted and all is ready for next side wall surround instal later this month.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
New diy expansion surround coming here soon.

5.1.6.6 / 7.1.6.6 I'll be happy with my diy expansion surround until the sound format war ends and there is one standing with content to provided by the tens each month.

5.1.6.6 / 7.1.6.6 is just the basics. I can expand the LCR to diy five-screen Le Re so that would bring it to 5.1.2.6.6 / 7.1.2.6.6.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Why do you have so many pieces in the signal chain?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Why do you have so many pieces in the signal chain?
Because it sounds wild. :) The SDDS is nice quiet processor signal form Onyko is good to the SDDS and if there was noise its so far below a music and film soundtrack I can barely tell it there. I've listened to far greater noise in the past while DX-ing on SSB (single-side-bands) and that needs a trained ear to listen to faint voice amongst piles of hash and noise over some 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
One thing been confused about was how am I going to finish the walls off with a cheap coloured fabric.

Bed sheets coloured has been on my list to buy,

Next sussing out simple cheap way to fit and have it manageable with removing if I wanted to do something behind it.

Simple. Fit the wooden beams down the wall from ceiling to floor or above the skirting board.

Next make a frame square, cut to size for each section that I would need to fit the panels up. Cut the fabric to size and stable it to frame. Then screwed it into wood beams on the wall. Sorted.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Changing out the JBL control 5, I'll find a new surround role for it later on.

While STAR TREK Into Darkness plays Dolby TrueHD 7.1 at lesser level while I can concentrate

Still got finish the stage when I have the time to do it and fit the new projection screen up.

Its really tough fitting these up and removing them.

Multi showings tonight (onto the third showing)

Control 5 removed now mesureing up the placement for overhead control 1. I've fitted up x6 for tonight and will fit the other x2 up tomorrow as its exhausting work.

I have to wire up the rear mono overhead on the rear back from CP45 later tomorrow and the below rear seat surround. The newer stereo surround matrix expansion surround won't be ready until at least Spring-time.

The control 1 brackets are easy to fit up. Screwed nice and securely into the ceiling.

The middle ones over front row are presently wired up and working very well for this room size. The below front row that are matrixed off the rear surround form the CP45, while overhead is matrixed off the centre.

Sounds cracking loud on STAR TREK Into Darkness.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
THX "TEX" flew in to help this morning and mostly hanging about overhead. :D

I'm not in hurry for all this. I just angled the control 1, inwards this morning while pink noise is being generated via the Dolby CP45 overhead diy expansion surround.

Pov from the control 1. Oh testing a Sub of blend of LCR sub bass extension with one placed behind front row I'll have to find some space behind the back row or in a corner for now until I redo all the seats that will be moved forwards by 20" or so inches later in the year.

Calling Cyberton! Rear back row right-seat view looking upwards. Only middle row is wired up at present and I knew the pink noise would be focused ahead above. I'll get the others wired up maybe today, I'm just not feeling elevated today. :D

EQ controls behind the front panel of CP45 middle row is centre matrix while top/bottom are left and right and upper right top corner is below surround calling down to Bumblebee. Surround underneath my Bum-blebee. :D

Green middle LED centre and green LED below is SW or now its surround SW.

To active pink noise both buttons on format 04/05 have to be pressed at same time, hold and wait 10 seconds until pink noise is activated and starts to cycle though LCR/SW and S. Press format 05 holds the pink noise on a given channel. Press 04 and it continues to cycle though the channels. To switch off press any of the format 61.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

"Calling Cybertron" with my own Dolby "atmos" elevation enable.

Okay I tried this again as I like to be fair and it still doesn't work. Dolby labs with this "atmos" are just shooting themselves in the foot. It doesn't reflect sound off the ceiling with mirrored focused sound even with pink noise being generated. The sound of the pink noise sounds like its still in front on the stage with defused sound that and a little muffled since the HF horns aren't aimed at the seating positions.

These JBL control 12SR are heavy. The pink noise sounds like its still coming from in front only its defused with slight muffle due to angle and HF horn not aiming at the seating locations. Not a peep of it bouncing off the ceiling.

atmos elevation has been debunked.

Set CP500 to generate pink noise to centre channel.

Only way around this is to fit speakers to the ceiling and it won't be everyone's cup of tea and I'm sure the wife will be filling for divorce, :p the moment she sees these atmos speakers coming in the home. You have to have tolerate and understanding wife, maybe £50.00 will help for her to go down town to have her nails groomed.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
TOTAL RECALL (2012)

Firstly again no Dolby TrueHD audio dropouts here in my THX cinema.

Using LG flat screen 37"

Back light screen test. I used manual mode ISO 800 shade 1, and once on second picture I noticed light level metre was getting a bit high and would go into TOTAL OVER-CONTRAST so I lowered ISO down to ISO 400 on third picture and continued raising the back-lighting.

ISO800

ISO800

Set ISO400

ISO400

ISO400

ISO400

ISO400

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
8th JBL 8330 brought 2 days ago and should arrive Monday or Tuesday. x2 more tv flat screen brackets ordered and should be here next week and x2 more need to ordered around February and the final x2 8330 won't be fitted up until mid February.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
TOP GUN EXPERIMENT.

Some black/gray card a sharp knife, pair of scissors a mobile phone with LED light a pen so I can draw a line to make sure the 2x2 wood I use for straight edge is on the line spray glue to stick two pieces of card together to make longer pieces.

With the light switched off I can't even see the cardboard stuck on the screen, it appears black

The first picture is TOP GUN bluray where the framing of Super35 was changed to look like the cinema release with the original Paramount Pictures mountain at start and end of the film.

For the Laserdisc I used Zoom 2 and expanded image and shifted it up and down it comes close but needs a bit more experimenting as the top portion of the picture should be cropped off a bit when A & B with later DVD HD-DVD or bluray.

Bluray with light off and ISO set a bit high.

I really got the card to frame off Interstellar to frame it off at SCOPE 2.35:1 so I won't see those aspect shifts.

Also the card covers the back-lighting in the black bar areas.

Bluray with light off.

Laserdisc with light off.

Using the Zoom 2 mode on the LG and the shifting image/picture up and down to roughly match framiong in the later DVD HD-DVD bluray release.

Laserdisc with light on.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
TRON LEGACY (2010)

To the few that would have seen Tron Legacy at regular cinemas in SCOPE and I'm a fan of the SCOPE aspect ratio.

I find the imax aspect ratio shifting every 10 or 15 mins distracting and serves no point to the film, if I wanted aspect switching I'll watch the classic BRAINSTORM (1983) where it centred of the the screen with W/S and Brainstorm POV shots expand outwards into SCOPE.

The black/gray cardboard seems masked at top of bottom of the frame where it starts out as SCOPE and end credits ends in aspect ratio shifting?

Main menu is seen as full screen.

A SCOPE scene.

This scene is SCOPE and next chapter, chapter 7, is aspect imax shifted, no more not in this THX cinema it stays as SCOPE!

This scene chapter 7, and a few more before and after are aspect ratio shifted. Well this looks better looks like I'm watching a SCOPE film now.

M

markosti

Enthusiast
Sorry to go off topic, but I love Tron Legancy! Anyway, looks good andyblackcat.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Cheers.

Yeah the sound effects visual effects and all are cool on Tron Legacy.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Two more flat screen tv brackets arrived this morning.

Still have lot more to finish on the left side wall with wall paneling screwed up to cover the cable/leads that will eventually be tided up and hidden and walls will be covered over with king size coloured bed sheet stabled to a wooden frame panel and screwed to the walls for tight finish. Bed sheets are cheap fabric and no need to spend tens or hundreds on fabric when it can be done at a cheaper cost.

Fitted bracket to the back of 8330 for left sidewall surround.

Fitted bracket to the back of 8330 for right sidewall surround.

The two bolt screw holes each filled in with a little bit of no nails so no low air frequency will leak out.

Its slowly coming together still have many more months to do the room.

Testing the extra surrounds fitted up with pink noise and steady EQ trims and sitting in each seat to get smooth even immersive surround. Sorted, and now playing STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) laserdisc DVD-RW Dolby Stereo, yet again and sounds even better for a slow film. :D The mix is cool engineering level humming away sounds like its closing in around me.

8th JBL 8330 should be here tomorrow morning and the next x2 for side wall won't be fitted up until late next week.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
8th JBL 8330 mkII has arrived intact this afternoon.

Placed on floor beside other 8330 ready for final last x3 each sidewall install late next week.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
x2 more flat screen wall brackets arrived this morning and I started on the last x2 JBL 8330. (or maybe)? :D

Removed cable conduit.

Drilled x4 holes for the bracket.

Cleaning up the dust between each install.

filled the holes with NO NAILS for extra strength grip.

Fixing up flat screen tv bracket.

Fixed other half of flat screen tv bracket to back of JBL 8330.

Both sidewalls finished or maybe...?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis