My First Concert- What was Yours?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't be the only one that can't stand Dave Matthews. Can I?

His live album is decent when he's not singing... I don't know, he just screams douche. Maybe literally.
Next time you're in a situation where you have to listen to DMB and can't get away just focus on the percussion. Carter Beauford is really a very talented drummer and he's the reason I can usually stomach the rest. Li'l drummer trivia; he's also a lefty and fun to watch. His sticking is reversed.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic

His live album is decent when he's not singing... I don't know, he just screams douche. Maybe literally.
This is sacrilegious to most anyone who was in college in the late 90's. I was in college for 8 years so I don't count.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

He makes some good music afaic but I've certainly seen many share your sentiment. Now, some of that metal you listen to I find no redeeming value for :) Suum cuique

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
This thread shows that a lot of us, if not most of us are into rock or what is now considered "classic" rock. Even the stuff I grew up with is old enough to be considered such.

My question is, how many of us still listen to this stuff on our systems regularly? I do every once in awhile (unless I'm doing stuff around the house, then almost exclusively).

"Critically" listening to some of my favorite albums makes me realize how bad some of the recordings/mixes are. Sometimes I'm surprised at how good some of them sound. Mixed bag, really.
@panteragstk
I was noticing the same phenomenon: a goodly portion of the responses contained what is now "classic rock" selections. That made me feel good since that's the cornerstone of my love for music. It also asked a question I've posed many times to others: "do the classic rock albums you remember suck as bad mine for recording quality?"

Actually the answer and the truth of the matter is all over the place. There are indeed selections I loved in the car and the old home rig that really are poorly put together and recorded. My system today makes that pretty clear. I still love the tune but wow the recording quality just wasn't there. Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" is an example. I love the tune. It rocks. But the recording quality just is as bland as vanilla pudding. Others that come immediately to mind are stuff by the Mama's and the Papa's. For all their pipes, most of the recordings are very pedestrian. Many of the live recordings also were so full of audience screams and noise you couldn't turn them up much at all.

But, just as surprising to me are those selections from the same period that were recorded by folks that knew their craft and those sound brand freakin' new. One that comes to mind is Neil Diamond. Take his "Hot August Nights" double live album. You can crank that up to 11 and it sounds as good as any new and modern recording. As well, Deep Purples "Made in Japan" from 1972 will rattle your windows: in a good way. Great fidelity and a pretty nice live ambience without too much. I will rest my case with Peter Frampton. "Frampton Comes Alive". If there's a better more magical recording of a live rock concert I haven't heard it.

@panteragstk also asked if we listen to those oldies as much as in the olden days. Yes and no. Yes, I will go on a tear and drag them out and do several hours worth. But, one of the stunning revelations of my Salks and the system I run at home now is just how lovely many different types of music are. I never listened to jazz. Ever. But after getting the Salks, jazz has taken on a new life and I love it. Blues guitar as well has really taken off in my library. This year, with the help of @Verdinut I am beginning to build a classical collection. Its slow learning on my part. But, I'm learning to appreciate and get some love for the classics now.

This has been a great thread. Anyplace that has room for @Pogre and the Tool and metal crowd as well as old time rockers, jazz folks and the classics is a pretty diverse and welcoming place. I have enjoyed this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I might add that beyond work experience I have attended live music events of all types as I suppose my tastes are eclectic. I lived in SF quite a bit and the live music scene of all types was pretty good, sometimes free. While I'm not a huge classical music fan, I did even have a season ticket for the SF Symphony one season....partly to take my dad to a few shows but also to somewhat immerse myself in something I hadn't done much of. We had some killer blues and jazz club venues (or a bar with some musicians might be closer to it in many cases), but it was all over the place. Variety is the spice of life as they say. While I still listen to various rock eras, much from the 70s as they were my teen/early adult years is I suppose my go-to generally. I probably listen to jazz more often now, tho....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One of my favorite drum intros in a song... and it's not even remotely metal! Plus he's playing with brushes. He's so fast, but still dynamic and nuanced. He's one of my favorite drummers.

He busts out the mallets in this one. Quality isn't bad, but it's YouTube. It's recorded pretty well tho. The drums are mic'd and it's not a phone cam bootleg.

*Edit: @William Lemmerhirt @Dean Kurtz

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

"Like a doggy on a chain ... "

Can't f^%&in' stand him.

You know his live album? Why? :D

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot: Police with The Thompson Twins. Early 80's. Edmonton.

I lived in Calgary so that means road trip and that means speeding ticket.

Last edited:
H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
My first concert was Aerosmith with Nazareth as the warm up band, back in 1977. The first of many concerts to come. What a show.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
AC/DC was Great. Angus Young made the Show. But definitely not the Loudest.
RUSH was Definitely Louder. Rock Your Face Off Loud!!!

Aerosmith one of my All Time Favorite Bands. Seen them so many times. The most Memorable was at a place called The Ritz in Lower Manhattan in the 80's. Standing at the Bar 20' from Tyler. It was Amazing what was Lined Up on the Bar, Co- Bathrooms. Fucking Awesome!!!
Love AC/DC wish I could have seen them in the 80s. I need to rebuy some dvds. Damn I saw a lot of shows 80-2015 spent a lot. Gun and roses haha 2hr wait for axel. He rocked it though.

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
AC/DC puts on an absolutely awesome show. Ted Nugent back in the day was the loudest. Best light show was ELO when the arena floor was occupied by a huge flying saucer, the lid lifted off and the band was inside. First time I heard We Will Rock You was live on Queens News Of The World tour.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
And for all you Pink Floyd fans out there

If you ever get a chance to see the Australian Pink Floyd show. Go its Great

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My very first was BB King at Assumption College in Worcester, may 5th of 1973. I was 13 years old, went with a friend when I got stood-up by the girl I invited. Also the first time I ever smoked pot. It would be 15 more years before I ever put that down for good. ;)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Deep Purple 1973, 1974, 1975, 1985

Both lineups, Gillan/Glover and Coverdale/Hughes

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
My first was Genesis back in the 70's high school days. I was completely blown away.
My biggest name band was Zeppelin also in the 70's. My favorite was BTO, Steve Miller, and Climax Blues Band.
That was an unbelievable concert. For some reason can't remember the Zepp concert real well.I do remember the air conditioning was not working and it was so damn hot, St Louis summertime. Plant even made a comment about the heat. They did rock it pretty damn good from what I do remember.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis