My First Concert- What was Yours?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This thread shows that a lot of us, if not most of us are into rock or what is now considered "classic" rock. Even the stuff I grew up with is old enough to be considered such.

My question is, how many of us still listen to this stuff on our systems regularly? I do every once in awhile (unless I'm doing stuff around the house, then almost exclusively).

"Critically" listening to some of my favorite albums makes me realize how bad some of the recordings/mixes are. Sometimes I'm surprised at how good some of them sound. Mixed bag, really.
I'm all over the place with music, but Orchestra/Classical and Bluegrass are my favorites. Unamplified music is so enjoyable. Early Jazz and Blues falls into that falls into that favorites category.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
As I already mentioned, mine was Foreigner from '78. Looking back on the actual performance, it was really nothing special (I have attended and been involved with some amazing musical events over the past 45 years). Sure, they were engaging and I thought it (then) awesome that the lead singer also tinkered on the drums and had a wee "solo". The concert actually was a good reflection of their music: nothing earth shattering, some catchy tunes is all...

What made the concert totally memorable was that it was my first experience (like many "firsts" in life). I had just turned 15 and was allowed to go out, pretty much unsupervised, with my friends (which was very exciting and "grown up" - it did not hurt that it was not a school night). I walked in to the arena about an hour before the show and the first thing I noticed was the literal "blanket" of pot smoke. Had I not started seriously partaking just a few months earlier, I would have been shocked (well, more shocked) or curious as to why the smoke machines were on. The second thing I noticed was the sound system. They were rolling the typical background R&R, but it sounded AWESOME! I was genuinely worried that the band(s) would not sound as clear, as nice, possibly not as loud. Then the lights went out...
1596756987219.png

Oddly enough, I have never owned any Foreigner albums...

I had bronchitis the week leading up to the concert, by that Monday it was pneumonia...

Attachments

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Seen Journey on the Infnty tour first with Steve Perry in the capital theatre in wheeling West Virginia man he had the pipes back then they could definitely jam they had a little known band open up for them AC/DC there first tour man they were loud as hell of course we all know where they went from there also had Bon Scott singing lead he was a showman for sure !
My second show, or my first without my Dad, was Journey. It was also the Infinity tour. Which i always think of as The Wheel in the Sky.... A friend and I decided just to show up. It was crazy outside. People were trying to sneak in everywhere. We walked to the door and asked. The guy said go ahead. We walked in!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Black Sabbath 1976

They had a keyboard player (Gerald Woodroffe) who was hidden on the side of the stage. During one their tracks, they released huge amounts of dry ice fog on the stage. One of the dry ice machines was mounted on top of the keyboard players head. When the thing went off, all you could see was the keyboard players hands going back and forth, his head was completely covered with dry ice fog. Obviously this was a joke on Woodroffe, the band was laughing so hard they couldn't even play.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Bachman Turner Overdrive 1974

$3.00 to get in. Not a real big fan, but the band played loud and hard. They only had two albums out at that time. Their last number that night was Mississippi Queen. It cooked.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Paul McCartney and Wings 1976

When Paul hit the stage, goosebumps were standing on my goosebumps man. And when he played a Beatles number, the whole place absolutely screamed, it was like Ed Sullivan.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Jethro Tull 1975

Ian Anderson, OMG. Incredible musician. One of the best shows I ever saw.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yes 1975

Chris Squire. Chris Squire. Chris Squire. Incredible band.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Led Zeppelin 1975

Monday, Seattle. Tuesday, Vancouver, BC. Wednesday, Vancouver, BC. (no show Thursday) Friday, Seattle.

Yup, I saw all 4 shows. I'm lucky I still have my hearing and my brain.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
The Who 1975

One of the best rock concerts I've ever been to. Saying that they rocked would be an understatement.

Just when you thought John Bonham was good, OMG, Keith Moon, Keith Moon, Keith Moon.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Al Di Meola 1978

One of the best guitar players (probably the best) I have ever seen. His band cooked. He opened for Renaissance.
(and Renaissance were good too)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Foghat, Styx than Heart, little River Band than Louisiana's Leroux,
2BA77537-4F9B-4D54-AC23-EDF26F32B4BC.gif

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Bachman Turner Overdrive 1974

$3.00 to get in. Not a real big fan, but the band played loud and hard. They only had two albums out at that time. Their last number that night was Mississippi Queen. It cooked.
I still have BTO OverDrive, one of my oldest LP's.
717CF0E3-A6CE-4EF6-A999-0CD6E15A5436.gif

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I always wondered what wine goes with a Dave Matthews show... :rolleyes: A pretentious cab maybe?
I can't be the only one that can't stand Dave Matthews. Can I?

His live album is decent when he's not singing... I don't know, he just screams douche. Maybe literally.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis