My First Concert- What was Yours?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I also had a blind date experience, a fix-up blind date. It was at the Grateful Dead March 1976 show in Springfield, MA.

The show was so-so, but the blind date was great. We got married in 1978 and we’re still married now nearly 42 years later.
A liitle better experience than mine. Congrats on 42. Just had my 38th. Good thing the other one never happened. It would have been a drag at concerts after being married to see her on someone else's shoulders. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I also had a blind date experience, a fix-up blind date. It was at the Grateful Dead March 1976 show in Springfield, MA.

The show was so-so, but the blind date was great. We got married in 1978 and we’re still married now nearly 42 years later.
Hell, that's about as good as it gets. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Great Thread. I think I was in 11th grade in Pittsburgh. First concert was Deep Purple on their Smoke on the Water tour at the Pittsburgh Civic arena loved it but didn't have much of a reference.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Great Thread. I think I was in 11th grade in Pittsburgh. First concert was Deep Purple on their Smoke on the Water tour at the Pittsburgh Civic arena loved it but didn't have much of a reference.
If that was 1972, that was one of my favorite concerts. It was just like the Made in Japan album. Saw that at the Anaheim Convention Center. Their best lineup.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If that was 1972, that was one of my favorite concerts. It was just like the Made in Japan album. Saw that at the Anaheim Convention Center. Their best lineup.
Yep 1972. I also saw Jethro Tull on their Thick as a Brick tour that year. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One of my regrets was not seeing LZ live....closest I got was the 75 Snack Concert at Kezar Stadium.....we pooled our bucks and had a choice, go to the show and not buy a lid, or buy the lid and park on the hill overlooking Kezar :) We chose the latter that day.
Oh Boo Hoo! You went on the Grateful Dead Europe 72 Tour, and you complain about not seeing LZ live? You lived on the West Coast during the 70s, when good rock shows happened on a regular basis. In comparison, during that same time, I was in North Carolina (in college); Pensacola, FL, southern Italy and Anchorage, AK (all 3 while I was in the Navy); and finally Hartford, CT where I was in grad school. For good rock shows, none of those locations could compare with California.

This thread is reminding me of so many record albums that I haven't played in many years, many decades. For example, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Spirit, Jethro Tull, Canned Heat, pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac, and more.

OK, here's the $64,000 question. Who has been to a Beatles concert? Anyone?

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Yep 1972. I also saw Jethro Tull on their Thick as a Brick tour that year. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. :)
Saw that one too Long Beach. Tull was great live. Saw them about 8 times. I think I saw more in 72 than any other year. It was pretty cheap then.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
My Dad took me to the Grateful Dead at the Ventura County fairgrounds. Somewhere around '78, I could be off a year or so...

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well, maybe he was just taller and she could see better..? :p

I saw you mentioned tinnitus and drumming. Same here man. A lifetime of loud music and years of drumming later I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised I can hear as well as I do. Tho tbh I haven't had my hearing checked in so long "never" could apply. Part of me doesn't wanna know. I've learned to live with the tinnitus and can usually tune it out, but it's always there. I'm a lot more careful nowadays. I still crank it up from time to time but limit my time of exposure now.
Spent my life in an underground coal mine 29 years the noise level down there most days will rival any concert you’ve ever been to huge equipment shakeing the very ground your in lucky tho most the noise is a very deep rumble. But wore two sets of ear plugs at once plugs and ear muff type it saved most of my hearing range but older age still takes a toll .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Saw Ozzy New Years Eve at the LA Forum. No opening band and the show started around 10pm. A few month later Randy was gone.
Seen his fist tour with Zac Wilde he was young and crazy !

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Commodores in the 1980s without Lionel Richie. It was ok, but Lionel was missed. :p

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Saw Ozzy New Years Eve at the LA Forum. No opening band and the show started around 10pm. A few month later Randy was gone.
I was there. Also saw that tour in Long Beach. Tommy Aldridge on drums.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh Boo Hoo! You went on the Grateful Dead Europe 72 Tour, and you complain about not seeing LZ live? You lived on the West Coast during the 70s, when good rock shows happened on a regular basis. In comparison, during that same time, I was in North Carolina (in college); Pensacola, FL, southern Italy and Anchorage, AK (all 3 while I was in the Navy); and finally Hartford, CT where I was in grad school. For good rock shows, none of those locations could compare with California.

This thread is reminding me of so many record albums that I haven't played in many years, many decades. For example, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Spirit, Jethro Tull, Canned Heat, pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac, and more.

OK, here's the $64,000 question. Who has been to a Beatles concert? Anyone?
LOL no, I worked on the tour's logistics and customs arrangements, I didn't go on the tour myself....altho I did meet the band at the airport on their return as they were hand carrying some items I needed to clear thru US Customs. The closest I got to travel on tour was when Rod Stewart flew me out to Hawaii to supervise clearance thru US Customs at the end of an international tour (which was easily done thru my local agent anyways)....got drunk with Carmine Appice....I got to hang out at studios once in a while, and back stage for local shows pretty much anytime I wanted. Beatles no.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
While I like the Beatles(Saw McCartney in the 90’s and it was great) they sucked live. In studio thank god for George Martin. Raha. I wish I could have seen Elvis, Sinatra, The Doors, Ronstant, etc in concert. I’ve seen tons of bands and solo singers in concert, but nothing in two or three years.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Not a big Beatles fan.

But wished I'd got to see this tour in June of 77 MSG
LedZep1977.jpg

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
While I like the Beatles(Saw McCartney in the 90’s and it was great) they sucked live. In studio thank god for George Martin. Raha. I wish I could have seen Elvis, Sinatra, The Doors, Ronstant, etc in concert. I’ve seen tons of bands and solo singers in concert, but nothing in two or three years.
The Beatles did not have good monitors and with all the girls screaming, could not hear. I had a neighbor. that saw them at the Hollywood Bowl. I told him how lucky he was. He said it was the worst concert he ever saw. All he heard was girls screaming. I saw McCartney twice 1976 and 2002, George Harrison in 1974 and finally saw Ringo about 6 years ago. That was my last major show. All of those were really good.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Three Dog Night; at the 'Fabulous Forum' , Inglewood, CA, around 1971-72. Can't remember who else was on the program or even the opening act.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Great live band. Saw them in 1968. Their keyboard player was awesome.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis