My First Concert- What was Yours?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So cool you saw that show. I had the record which included the Isle of Wight.0 My first big one was CAL JAM 1 at Ontario speedway in California 1974. Rare Earth, Earth Wind and Fire, Seals and Croft, Eagles, Black Oak Arkansas, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Emerson Lake and Palmer. I am a huge Deep Purple fan and they were my fav that day. I actually enjoyed them all.
I had free tix to Cal Jam (was doing some work for someone playing there, don't remember which one)....but gave them away, didn't want to go out to Ontario :)

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Was Earth Wind & Fire good that day? It really was hit or miss with those early festivals. Just getting there could be a nightmare for the bands. And the performance schedules were more fiction that real.

Some bands needed to warm up, and the 30-40 minute format per band prevented that. The Grateful Dead said that was their problem at Woodstock, and why they didn't allow their performance to be included on the LP or the movie. I suspect that problem was more common than we realized at the time.
Actually, I thought everyone was on. I was really in the mood, but it was broadcast on tv later. I have a dvd of ELP playing there. Also the cd of Deep Purple that I got Glenn Hughes to sign.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am a bit younger than many on here.

First real concert was Steve Miller Band, probably 1996

2nd was Rage Against the Machine (Evil Empire tour)

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I am a bit younger than many on here.

First real concert was Steve Miller Band, probably 1996

2nd was Rage Against the Machine (Evil Empire tour)
Steve Miller is always fun live in summer. I won tickets to a sound check for about 15 people that was pretty cool.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I had free tix to Cal Jam (was doing some work for someone playing there, don't remember which one)....but gave them away, didn't want to go out to Ontario :)
I also went to CAL JAM 2 in 1978. Heart, Bob Welch, Santana, Dave Mason, Aerosmith. There were a couple more but my ride left early so I missed the end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also went to CAL JAM 2 in 1978. Heart, Bob Welch, Santana, Dave Mason, Aerosmith. There were a couple more but my ride left early so I missed the end.
Hmmmm it was the 78 show I had tix to now that I think about the dates and where I was living at the time :) Plus, think it was Santana as I worked a lot with them at that time.... :)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Led Zeppelin 1972

I got hooked after that. I managed to see them 7 times before they disbanded.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ozzfest, June 15, 1997 was my first concert. Lots of bands I still listen to and love to this day played: Type O Negative, Marilyn Manson, Pantera, and Fear Factory among others.
I went to that same Ozzfest tour when it came through AZ! I had only been here a couple of years back then. I met a beautiful girl there who, for some reason, was all over me for most of the concert. My friend who was with me couldn't believe it because she really was out of my league. Fortunately for me, we were all hammered and I was firing on all cylinders, good and fueled with alcohol induced charm (well, at least to us drunks, lol) and had a blast. At the end she did the ol' "I'll be right back", went to get something and never came back! :( What a night. My buddy and I ended up passing out in the car in the parking lot til the next morning then drove home.

I didn't have any contact info, and if she did give me something I was way to tanked to remember. Just a first name and a vague recollection of her working at one of the stadiums out here. I never saw her again.

Man, I forgot all about that. The poop I used to do...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Fleetwood Mac:The Dance Tour at Irvine Meadows, October 17th, 1997.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I went to that same Ozzfest tour when it came through AZ! I had only been here a couple of years back then. I met a beautiful girl there who, for some reason, was all over me for most of the concert. My friend who was with me couldn't believe it because she really was out of my league. Fortunately for me, we were all hammered and I was firing on all cylinders, good and fueled with alcohol induced charm (well, at least to us drunks, lol) and had a blast. At the end she did the ol' "I'll be right back", went to get something and never came back! :( What a night. My buddy and I ended up passing out in the car in the parking lot til the next morning then drove home.

I didn't have any contact info, and if she did give me something I was way to tanked to remember. Just a first name and a vague recollection of her working at one of the stadiums out here. I never saw her again.

Man, I forgot all about that. The poop I used to do...
Funny story. I had the reverse of that one. Took a blind date to see the Beach Boys at Anaheim Stadium in 1976. Rocking out with the cement bleachers moving more than they were supposed to. Looked around for my date, and she was on someone else's shoulders. No more blind dates after that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of my regrets was not seeing LZ live....closest I got was the 75 Snack Concert at Kezar Stadium.....we pooled our bucks and had a choice, go to the show and not buy a lid, or buy the lid and park on the hill overlooking Kezar :) We chose the latter that day.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny story. I had the reverse of that one. Took a blind date to see the Beach Boys at Anaheim Stadium in 1976. Rocking out with the cement bleachers moving more than they were supposed to. Looked around for my date, and she was on someone else's shoulders. No more blind dates after that.
Well, maybe he was just taller and she could see better..? :p

I saw you mentioned tinnitus and drumming. Same here man. A lifetime of loud music and years of drumming later I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised I can hear as well as I do. Tho tbh I haven't had my hearing checked in so long "never" could apply. Part of me doesn't wanna know. I've learned to live with the tinnitus and can usually tune it out, but it's always there. I'm a lot more careful nowadays. I still crank it up from time to time but limit my time of exposure now.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I also had a blind date experience, a last minute fix-up blind date. It was at the Grateful Dead March 1976 show in Springfield, MA.

The show was so-so, but the blind date was great. We got married in 1978 and we’re still married now nearly 42 years later.

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Well, maybe he was just taller and she could see better..? :p

I saw you mentioned tinnitus and drumming. Same here man. A lifetime of loud music and years of drumming later I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised I can hear as well as I do. Tho tbh I haven't had my hearing checked in so long "never" could apply. Part of me doesn't wanna know. I've learned to live with the tinnitus and can usually tune it out, but it's always there. I'm a lot more careful nowadays. I still crank it up from time to time but limit my time of exposure now.
Me too. Except a couple headphone extremes by accident, I'm still pretty good too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Over the years, I went to many of the Ozz-fests after the first one. For a while, they were a great value for seeing multiple rock/metal bands that I liked. I used to see Type O every October in NYC when they would tour. It still never feels quite like Halloween without seeing them in concert. The band I saw the most after Type O would be NIN, and those concerts were always a treat with great visuals as well. As far as meeting bands, I've met Megadeth at a backstage event twice, and I did meet Trent Reznor very briefly at an autograph signing in Times Square for the release of "And All That Could Have Been"
Holy sh!t how did I forget about NIN? Maybe because my first time seeing them wasn't even a year ago. Excellent show.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis