My First Concert- What was Yours?

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
Chicago, Iowa State Fair, 1974, I was 14, fourth on the list of shows with highest grandstand attendance at the Iowa State Fair

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Yeah Fenway has terrible sound. The only show that sounded good there was Roger Waters The Wall tour and that was because he had speakers setup all over for the sound effects. Also nowhere to tailgate which is half the fun especially Shakedown Street for Dead related shows.
Ya. The shows I went to this summer at Fenway Park had a very tiny Shakedown Street. And yes, there really is almost no place to congregate and watch the interesting people. And parking is just terrible. There is no parking lot to speak of.

I get anxiety driving in Boston anyway so for those shows I got a hotel within walking distance and we stayed there two nights so that I don't have to drive in and out each night. Fenway is about 25 miles from my house but I just didn't want the anxiety. I much prefer Gillette Stadium or the Xfinity Center (formerly Greatwoods) than Fenway.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Ya. The shows I went to this summer at Fenway Park had a very tiny Shakedown Street. And yes, there really is almost no place to congregate and watch the interesting people. And parking is just terrible. There is no parking lot to speak of.

I get anxiety driving in Boston anyway so for those shows I got a hotel within walking distance and we stayed there two nights so that I don't have to drive in and out each night. Fenway is about 25 miles from my house but I just didn't want the anxiety. I much prefer Gillette Stadium or the Xfinity Center (formerly Greatwoods) than Fenway.
Agree Great Woods and Gillette are great venues in the Boston area. The Pavilion on the waterfront is excellent also. A lot of restaurants and bars around the venue. The parking is better but you still have the traffic. Outdoor concerts are the best. Unfortunately today’s the last day of summer. Check out the Lowell Summer music series next summer if you Haven’t already. A great setting in a park right in the middle of the city. Very relaxed and casual vibe. You can bring in a chair and a cooler. Saw Robert Cray from the front row last month and the drummer gave my wife his sticks after the show. Very cool.

C

chaz57

Enthusiast
In this order starting with The Merry Go Round, then The Doors, and top bill was Jefferson Airplane. Summer of 1967 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California. That started me big time into music.
1974 - Rush and Kiss (top bill) at the Michigan Palace Detroit, I preferred Rush but my friend who could drive was a Kiss fan.
1975 - when I got my license it was The Amboy Dukes opening for Ted Nugent at the Masonic Temple Detroit

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
1974 - Rush and Kiss (top bill) at the Michigan Palace Detroit, I preferred Rush but my friend who could drive was a Kiss fan.
1975 - when I got my license it was The Amboy Dukes opening for Ted Nugent at the Masonic Temple Detroit
I saw Kiss bottom bill to Wishbone Ash in 1974. Not a Kiss fan, but Wishbone Ash was great. I saw Nugent a few times in the 70's. Did Ted play at all with his old band the Amboy Dukes?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I saw Kiss bottom bill to Wishbone Ash in 1974. Not a Kiss fan, but Wishbone Ash was great. I saw Nugent a few times in the 70's. Did Ted play at all with his old band the Amboy Dukes?
I used to think Kiss was a cartoon of a Band until a Buddy convinced me to go with him to their concert and take photos of them. They were simply amazing and very entertaining. This was back in the day that they wouldn't let you in with a camera, and we'd have to break down his 35mm and each of us bring in parts of it. Then we'd reassemble it while in the crowd on the floor. Of course we'd have to use "fast" film and even then we'd have to "push it" to get decent photos without a Flash. (It then required "special" processing by the developers.) Security were always scanning the crowd and if they saw a flash they'd wade in and toss the offenders out. I still think about that concert almost every time I hear a Kiss Tune.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I used to think Kiss was a cartoon of a Band until a Buddy convinced me to go with him to their concert and take photos of them. They were simply amazing and very entertaining. This was back in the day that they wouldn't let you in with a camera, and we'd have to break down his 35mm and each of us bring in parts of it. Then we'd reassemble it while in the crowd on the floor. Of course we'd have to use "fast" film and even then we'd have to "push it" to get decent photos without a Flash. (It then required "special" processing by the developers.) Security were always scanning the crowd and if they saw a flash they'd wade in and toss the offenders out. I still think about that concert almost every time I hear a Kiss Tune.
I also saw them (Kiss) at Anaheim Stadium when they were the top bill. I went for Ted Nugent, Bob Seger and Montrose (who was a great guitarist and I saw him a couple other times, but the best was the first album band with Sammy Hagar). I wish I took more pictures back then. I had a cheap Minolta instamatic.

Attachments

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I actually saw Led Zeppelin on their 1974 stairway to heaven tour at 3 rivers stadium in Pittsburgh. A true classic but not my all-time favorite.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I actually saw Led Zeppelin on their 1974 stairway to heaven tour at 3 rivers stadium in Pittsburgh. A true classic but not my all-time favorite.
Only saw them once. Long Beach Arena in 1975. So many good ones back then. Too many favorites. What's your all time favorite?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I also saw them (Kiss) at Anaheim Stadium when they were the top bill. I went for Ted Nugent, Bob Seger and Montrose (who was a great guitarist and I saw him a couple other times, but the best was the first album band with Sammy Hagar). I wish I took more pictures back then. I had a cheap Minolta instamatic.
For a show, I was a big Alice Cooper fan.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis