My First “Real” Home Theater

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like something I would see at the Best Buy Magnolia store (I was at one a few months ago). :D

How come you didn't get the McIntosh pre-pro?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Congrats, awesome system and ride!

FWIW...I'd be just fine with a big flat panel...no need for a projector for me :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
And I also just bought the car of my dreams. Off topic, but gotta brag
Awesome Ferrari. Perfect colors. There are two in my neighborhood very similar to yours, one in red the other in black. As good as the red looks in your photo it looks even better in person. To paraphrase a Corvette engineer, all Ferraris are red, the rest are mistakes. :)

Is that a Cayman in the background?

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Looks like something I would see at the Best Buy Magnolia store (I was at one a few months ago). :D

How come you didn't get the McIntosh pre-pro?
I gave it so much thought and did a great deal of research. The Processor is a lot like a computer was in the early 90’s. You could buy a really really nice one, but in a year or two things had progressed so quickly that they became antiquated in no time. In the not to distant future, the advancements will slow and at that point I’ll buy into a McIntosh processor. Currently I just couldn’t rationalize it even though I really really wanted to. A stack of all McIntosh hardware is a thing of beauty IMO and I adore beautiful hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Congrats, awesome system and ride!

FWIW...I'd be just fine with a big flat panel...no need for a projector for me :)
I really wanted a 100in screen and a projector was the only option. My brother has one and it’s amazing. This screen, I’ve never seen one like it, looks like a TV, especially with its backlighting, but it’s just a screen for the 4K projector. Weird huh?

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Awesome Ferrari. Perfect colors. There are two in my neighborhood very similar to yours, one in red the other in black. As good as the red looks in your photo it looks even better in person. To paraphrase a Corvette engineer, all Ferraris are red, the rest are mistakes. :)

Is that a Cayman in the background?
Much Thanks!!! I agree... there is no other car I’d ever buy in red. A Red Ferrari... there’s just something about that car that you don’t understand until you see it in person. Friends were like “a red Ferrari? YAWN” but you see it in person and you suddenly understand. In my town, over the 30+ years I’ve lived here, I’ve seen three Ferrari’s. I was unprepared for just how much attention it would draw. I mean obviously you expect some, but it’s been so strange. It’s a bit like spending a day at a large mall with Mick Jagger. Everyone wants selfies with it and you’re just some schmuck that’s in the way.
I had planned to use my 2009 Cayman as my daily driver, but thus far, I grab the Ferrari keys every time. How could you not? I think at some point I’ll trade it in an AMG Stationwagon for a practical car. Two mid-engine sports cars seems pretty unnecessary.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Nice looking stack that. Hopefully they will get some air when permanently placed. I dont really know how hot the Macintosh amps get, but the 8805 really do get hot even though its just a processor. -Unless it gets a lot of air and/or active cooling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Nice looking stack that. Hopefully they will get some air when permanently placed. I dont really know how hot the Macintosh amps get, but the 8805 really do get hot even though its just a processor. -Unless it gets a lot of air and/or active cooling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really appreciate the advice! They’re going into a rack in a closet with an exhaust fan and a couple of air movers. Better safe than sorry. The location in photo is just a place to keep them until rack is installed.

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
You're hiding all that beautiful McIntosh equipment? :eek:
It’s a previous closet and the door will be removed and it’ll be nicely built In and displayed. They are beautiful and I’ll proudly display them

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I was unprepared for just how much attention it would draw. I mean obviously you expect some, but it’s been so strange. It’s a bit like spending a day at a large mall with Mick Jagger. Everyone wants selfies with it and you’re just some schmuck that’s in the way.
I had planned to use my 2009 Cayman as my daily driver, but thus far, I grab the Ferrari keys every time. How could you not? I think at some point I’ll trade it in an AMG Stationwagon for a practical car. Two mid-engine sports cars seems pretty unnecessary.
I know what you mean about the extraordinary attention. About ten years ago a business colleague let me drive his new-at-the-time F430 F1. His was in a boring dark gray with a black interior, and a coupe too, and we were in Saratoga, CA, one of the wealthiest places on the planet. No matter, everyone stared as I drove around. I told him I felt like I was Jennifer Lopez driving naked with the windows down. I fell in love with that car, even though the F1 transmission didn't please me much. I suspect your car is in another league altogether.

Regarding the Cayman, you can't own too many rear mid-engine cars. It's not possible. ;)

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Should you get the opportunity, I recommend driving one. It’s an absolutely mind blowing car. It feels as though the car is anticipating every move and knows what you’ll do next and it’s never wrong. 0-124 in 8 seconds. There is a scary fun and there’s scary scary. Flooring the car is just nuts. Even if you’re already doing 100+, give it gas and it still throws you back hard. At some point... maybe... I’ll get used to it, but it’s just a spectacular machine that does things I never knew a car could. I’ve watched all the reviews online. These are guys who review cars for a living. This particular review opens with the exact same reaction I’ve had and everyone has. You punch the gas, get a look of terror on your face followed by an uncomfortable laughter when it’s over. Watch first 20 or so seconds.

Last edited:
L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
Still LOTS to do, but got projector video on screen for first time. For a very preliminary image, it’s remarkably bright.

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
My rack arrived. My den is 12ft x 16ft... there’s a slight chance I may have overbought

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
So a guy gets a little money... and goes nuts. My den, which will play the role of home theater, is being prepared to house the hardware now...

Equipment List
McIntosh MC303 (Amp)
McIntosh M1254 (Digital Amp)
McIntosh MPC500 (conditioner)
Marantz AV8805 (processor)
B&W CCM7.5 (X2)
B&W CWM7.4 (X2)
B&W 803D2 (X2)
B&W HTM2D3 (center)
Sony VPL-VW695ES
Screen:
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro
Fixed-frame projector screen with ultra-thin frame and LED backlight, Black Diamond dark gray material (100")

And I also just bought the car of my dreams. Off topic, but gotta brag

Umm, a lil money? I'd say Big Money Grip!! You got some nice Toys!! Very sweet!

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
I bet those components would like real nice in your apartment. The red car too. ;)
No apartment, just a small house
Even so, I’ve already had complaints from neighbors thanks to that JL Sub. Holy crap can that low frequency travel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis