My depression I've been dealing with.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Not going to lie but I've been down for a couple of months. Come in spurts and hits hard. Sucks big time no matter what. I know I'm not the only one feeling like this and thought I'd share. Got a haircut yesterday after a year. My hair was damaged from not taking care of it. My hair was rockstar long. Now it's Steve Mcqueen short. Sure feels better. Love ya all and hope everyone is safe and taking care of themselves. Step by step.
I can relate. This past winter was a challenge due to the pandemic and economic uncertainty. I hit a low point a few months ago.

Not to pry, but is it due to a specific situation? Obviously, no need to respond if you’d prefer not to.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Not going to lie but I've been down for a couple of months. Come in spurts and hits hard. Sucks big time no matter what. I know I'm not the only one feeling like this and thought I'd share. Got a haircut yesterday after a year. My hair was damaged from not taking care of it. My hair was rockstar long. Now it's Steve Mcqueen short. Sure feels better. Love ya all and hope everyone is safe and taking care of themselves. Step by step.
I feel for you and the struggle. That kind of issue is like back pain: nobody else can see there's anything wrong. But the pain can be something that takes over your world. One of the great features of music is that is can be a balm to the soul. Especially if you have music that can lift your spirit up. I think that's what @Verdinut was expressing. I may just try out his suggestion. He has given me many excellent suggestions for music from the classics. A truly unexpected source of wonderful balm for the soul. Be well. Sometimes just going outside and sitting in the sun can help.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It comes and goes, doesn't it? I tend to internalize and withdraw from everyone when I'm down, which prolly isn't the best way to go...

Then I buy audio gear and feel better again. :p

Naw, I know it's not that simple. I wish words had more impact. Just hang in there man. It always gets better. This will pass.
@Pogre
Sometimes just going and visiting a nearfield setup can help as well. I love my music, as do you. We listen to very different styles but the music has that same wonderful healing affect. I am open for visitors

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think when we all get to a comfortable point, an Audioholics get together would be a nice thing to do.

Be even better when the audio shows come back. We could meet up at one of those too. Lots of possibilities. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre
Sometimes just going and visiting a nearfield setup can help as well. I love my music, as do you. We listen to very different styles but the music has that same wonderful healing affect. I am open for visitors
We do have some overlap in music preferences. I really like the cd you put together of various artists that you gave me. Every track you chose are high quality recordings and there are a couple I would even use to demo speakers now.

One of these days I'm gonna take you up on this. I loved your setup when I was there last. That new sub you have now is a next level performer and I can just imagine how it must have improved things. I have one nearfield now too, and I love it. Wish I would have done it sooner.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think when we all get to a comfortable point, an Audioholics get together would be a nice thing to do.

Be even better when the audio shows come back. We could meet up at one of those too. Lots of possibilities. :)
I think an audioholics get together when the time is right sounds like an wonderful idea. Im down

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This last year or 2 I can really relate. I'm on a mood stabilizer for a head injury I got a couple years back. I'm normally very good at not going through swings but not being able to socialize is not good for my head. This last year and a half all the social isolation has really impacted and put a strain on this especially with depression. Add to that constantly understaffed and very stressed at the hospital. Not a good recipe.

I found that watching a lot of my childhood favorites like Better Off Dead. 3 o'clock High, The Goonies, Lucas, just all those special movies I fell in love with as a kid sometimes that nostalgia and just reexperiencing them again would do wonders to pull me out of a slump.

Music has been a life saver too

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I can relate. This past winter was a challenge due to the pandemic and economic uncertainty. I hit a low point a few months ago.

Not to pry, but is it due to a specific situation? Obviously, no need to respond if you’d prefer not to.
I've had it since I was about thirteen, but it's gotten bad the last 15 years or so. I also had to move to another state and also these times are rough but especially now. Going thrifting helped and bit, but recently months have been rough. I also haven't been eating healthy like I used to. Trying to work on it. I don't think I've ever had so bad then now. Sandy storm was another thing. I lost all my stuff in my apt. I'm sitting outside in front of my door now, which I never do. Nice breeze. I see that Yo Yo Ma is on Prime music maybe I'll have a listen tommorow. Thank alot Verinut. Thank for the love everyone it's well appreciated and thoughtful. I've said it before and will again this forum with kind folks is a lifesaver.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I've had it since I was about thirteen, but it's gotten bad the last 15 years or so. I also had to move to another state and also these times are rough but especially now. Going thrifting helped and bit, but recently months have been rough. I also haven't been eating healthy like I used to. Trying to work on it. I don't think I've ever had so bad then now. Sandy storm was another thing. I lost all my stuff in my apt. I'm sitting outside in front of my door now, which I never do. Nice breeze. I see that Yo Yo Ma is on Prime music maybe I'll have a listen tommorow. Thank alot Verinut. Thank for the love everyone it's well appreciated and thoughtful. I've said it before and will again this forum with kind folks is a lifesaver.
Abrigado Brazil by Yo Yo Ma is one of my all time favorite albums. I actually listened to some of it yesterday after setting up some in-ceiling speakers in my cottage.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, so empathy is the only thing a can really offer. Unfortunately, getting motivated to eat right, exercise, and do other things to feel better can be difficult when you're down. I tend to be melancholic and my natural state seems to somewhat "down" compared to others, and it's easy for me to slide into a negative state.

No two people are the same, but, for me, my thoughts control my moods (for the most part). I have learned to control my thoughts somewhat. It's a little like the butterfly effect (e.g. a butterfly farts in Argentina, which causes a typhoon 2 weeks later in the Philippines). If I can spot a negative thought early and force myself to think about something else it avoids the downward spiral, at least to some extent some of the time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
From Yo Yo Ma's personal notes with his third and last recording of J. S. Bach's Cello Suites. He states how J. S. Bach's music, like all of culture, has for over 300 years been helping us to understand our environment, each other and ourselves. Culture helps us to imagine a better future.
He goes on stating that this was also the first step in a new journey with this music, to share it with people seeking equilibrium and solace at a moment of unprecedented change.
Over the next few years following that recording, he hoped to play all six suites in one sitting, lasting over 2 hours, many times, and do so in both familiar and unlikely locations on six continents. He adds that this music has helped shape the evolution of his life. He invites us to join him on this adventure, to listen and be inspired by the helpers in our own life.
This is an excellent two CD set. The recording was done in 2018 and is closely miked. The sound is amazing. You would think that he is playing in your listening room right in front of you. I strongly recommend it:

View attachment 46970
Yes, those cello suites are very much about working through grief, and loss. Bach married Maria Barbara in 1707 in Dornheim. They moved to Kothen, in the employ of Prince Leopold. In 1720, Bach spent two months with Prince Leopold in Karlsbad. When he returned to Kothen, he found that Maria Barbara had died of an acute illness, and was already dead and buried. He wrote those cello sonatas as he worked through his grief.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
My empathy goes to those in need. Perhaps to elevate ones depression, one might think of joining a local organization to meet other people and share. Perhaps do some volunteer work to take your mind off things and maybe get some support and meet new friends. Perhaps join a church and see what activities they might have and talk to the pastor. These are just a few things for help.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
IMG_26042021_162431_(1796_x_2500_pixel).jpg

Currently listening it so beautiful. Was it ever done on Violins alone or full orchestra as well?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 47056
Currently listening it so beautiful. Was it ever done on Violins alone or full orchestra as well?
No, they were for solo cello. Bach wrote a lot of music for solo violin. Back was proficient on all the instruments of the time, except the plucked strings, like the lute and Theobo.

He excelled on the violin, cello and oboe family. He was a master at the keyboard, especially the organ. One commentator vowed he had wings on his feet.
Even today, his organ works present the greatest of challenges to organists, especially the pedal parts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis