Music From ipod to PS3

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
I was wondering if there is an easy way to put my music from either my macbook or ipod onto my PS3. I have somewhere around 300 cds and don't want to have to load them all.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Why not just stream to the PS3? No reason to use up valuable space, even if you've upgraded the drive.

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
I'm hoping to not sound like a complete idiot, but I'm not really computer literate. To 'Stream' sounds like sending my music wirelessly right? Do you have advice on how that is done?

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I can tell you that it will probably be more difficult doing to from a mac as opposed to a PS3, but it's still worth a try. I couldn't tell you how to do it, but I think google could help you out there :D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can tell you that it will probably be more difficult doing to from a mac as opposed to a PS3, but it's still worth a try. I couldn't tell you how to do it, but I think google could help you out there :D
There's actually no way to do it on a Mac without paying for software. It's not as easy as a PC where you can just stream through Windows Media Player.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I am not too familiar with the Mac media player but there should be a setting under preferences for your network. There should be a choice to stream your media via proxies.
Then on your PS3, go to SETTINGS, then NETWORK, then Media Server Connectoin and enable it. Once it syncs up you will have the option to play songs under the MUSIC icon on the PS3 from your computer.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I am not too familiar with the Mac media player but there should be a setting under preferences for your network. There should be a choice to stream your media via proxies.
Then on your PS3, go to SETTINGS, then NETWORK, then Media Server Connectoin and enable it. Once it syncs up you will have the option to play songs under the MUSIC icon on the PS3 from your computer.
Mac does not have come with a full media player the same way windows does. Mac splits its media playing between a few apps. Music is played through iTunes- they only way to stream from iTunes is through the Airport (mac's wireless base station solution). Video is generally played using Quicktime, but Macs only come with a partial version of the software. I think you might be able to stream via network through Quicktime, but that's only video.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I can help you if this had to do with Windows... Mac is a lot trickier...

Althought... I don't know for sure...

But just for the sake of checking...

Plug your iPod into the PS3 via USB

Scroll over to the MUSIC section

Go down to PORTABLE MEDIA DEVICE or whatever the iPod shows up as

Press the TRIANGLE (I think)

Display All

iPod Control is the folder that has all of your music, you can try copying that... (Press the TRIANGLE again, with the iPod Control folder highlighted... this should/may give you the option to copy the folder...)

I don't know for sure if that will work... I think I did it on my friends' PS3?

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Yeah, I can help you if this had to do with Windows... Mac is a lot trickier...

Althought... I don't know for sure...

But just for the sake of checking...

Plug your iPod into the PS3 via USB

Scroll over to the MUSIC section

Go down to PORTABLE MEDIA DEVICE or whatever the iPod shows up as

Press the TRIANGLE (I think)

Display All

iPod Control is the folder that has all of your music, you can try copying that... (Press the TRIANGLE again, with the iPod Control folder highlighted... this should/may give you the option to copy the folder...)

I don't know for sure if that will work... I think I did it on my friends' PS3?
That's interesting, I haven't tried that and may do it when I go home later.
I'm curious to see whether DRM protected music (e.g. music purchased from itunes) would actually play.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
That will not work. You can do the same thing on a PC with the IPod but because of the software on the IPod you cannot take anything off the device unless you have software on the PC.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
Mac does not have come with a full media player the same way windows does. Mac splits its media playing between a few apps. Music is played through iTunes- they only way to stream from iTunes is through the Airport (mac's wireless base station solution). Video is generally played using Quicktime, but Macs only come with a partial version of the software. I think you might be able to stream via network through Quicktime, but that's only video.
That sucks:mad:

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
That will not work. You can do the same thing on a PC with the IPod but because of the software on the IPod you cannot take anything off the device unless you have software on the PC.
I'm fairly certain it would work. I really think I did it on my friends' PS3 when he just got it...

Normally, if you just select the iPod Device from the music menu, it will not show you any files... but if you hit the triangle and select display all, it should give you the option to copy over the iPod Control folder. PS3 software is based off of Linux, if I am not mistaken, and as long as the iPod is formatted for FAT32, the PS3 should be able to read all files as long as you go through the "Display All" dialogue.

Of course, as you said, I could be wrong... but it's worth giving a try!

And any DRM-Protected files will not play on the PS3, I know that for sure... but any AAC/MP3 files that you ripped yourself should work just fine :)

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Sorry... I think I could be more specific in that last post...

In Mac AND PC, it's entirely possible to copy the contents of your iPod... in Windows it's easy - you go to Folder Options, and select "Show Hidden Folders and Files"... then you go back to the iPod through My Computer and copy the iPod Control folder to your computer. With Mac, the "Hidden Files and Folders" feature is hard to find... I think this link: http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/view_hidden_files_and_folders_in_finder would do.... Then you simply copy the folder to your Mac.

Linux, however... is nicer than both OS X and Windows --- whenever you plug in an External Hard drive/portable media device that is formatted in FAT32 (NTFS is strictly Windows, and will not work)... you can go to the device and manipulate the folders within. On PS3, the folders will remain hidden until you select the "Display All" command from the menu. Then you should have the option of copying the same iPod Control folder over to the PS3...

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I apologize. I was wrong. I just did it on my PS3. You can either just play the music off the IPod or you can hit triangle and display all. Then go to music and hit triangle and select copy. It will copy all of your music files to your PS3.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
I apologize. I was wrong. I just did it on my PS3. You can either just play the music off the IPod or you can hit triangle and display all. Then go to music and hit triangle and select copy. It will copy all of your music files to your PS3.
I was pretty sure it was possible :p Thanks for checking!

S

Scarriere

Junior Audioholic
Cool Guys! This site is filled with helpful people. Thanks very much!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis