Multi-Channel SACD played from OPPO UDP-205, Amazing!

• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've had a collection of hybrid SACDs for many years, with no means to enjoy the multi-channel layer; but, back in February I purchased an OPPO to hear what I was missing. I've gotta tell ya, the price of the OPPO was worth it for multi-channel pleasure. The player also presents CDs better than I remember them too. At any rate, I wanted to say, of all the multi-channel SACDs I own. The Diana Krall albums stand out. In particular, Love Scenes, makes me feel I've got the best seat at a Diana Krall concert. I just noticed her 2015 album, Wallflower, is now available in a SACD version, so I think I'll be buying it soon. Now, I'm wondering if any here can give me a recommendation for multi-channel SACDs which have been enjoyed?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think that is why SACD did not really take off. The average person doesn't critically listen and does not have a system where they could listen to GOOD SA discs and get that wow factor. SACD sounds great even on lesser players, but then you hear it on a top tier Oppo and there's that wow factor.

Diana Krall - Look of Love, When I Look in Your Eyes
Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Beck - Sea Change (you may need to look for the DVD-A instead, SACD harder to get)
Steely Dan - Gaucho (same as above, SACD can be hard to find)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some multich SACDs I've picked up, whether or not you'll like them who knows...
Jazz at the Pawnshop 30th Anniversary SACD/DVD set
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Hiromi - Brain
The Who - Tommy
John Abercrombie, Eddie Gomez with Gene Jackson - Structures
Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil Remixes
The Doors - The Doors; Morrison Hotel; L.A. Woman
RS500 Super Audio CD Sampler
Concord Jazz Super Audio CD Sampler Vol 2
Sony Ultimate Collection SACD Vol 1, 2

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Some multich SACDs I've picked up, whether or not you'll like them who knows...
Jazz at the Pawnshop 30th Anniversary SACD/DVD set
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Hiromi - Brain
The Who - Tommy
John Abercrombie, Eddie Gomez with Gene Jackson - Structures
Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil Remixes
The Doors - The Doors; Morrison Hotel; L.A. Woman
RS500 Super Audio CD Sampler
Concord Jazz Super Audio CD Sampler Vol 2
Sony Ultimate Collection SACD Vol 1, 2
Still like digging out my DVD Audios once in a while... Refused the shape of punk to come and REM.. Greatest hits .. And The Crystal Method... Legion of Boom . The Doors sound better on Vinyl to me .. The Denon does a great job with the 5.1 stereo setting.. makes 2 channel input seem like 5 .. I have 4.1 set up with center set as ghost .. Riders on the storm with the thunder storm ......... !@&%# YA..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still like digging out my DVD Audios once in a while... Refused the shape of punk to come and REM.. Greatest hits .. And The Crystal Method... Legion of Boom . The Doors sound better on Vinyl to me .. The Denon does a great job with the 5.1 stereo setting.. makes 2 channel input seem like 5 .. I have 4.1 set up with center set as ghost .. Riders on the storm with the thunder storm ......... !@&%# YA..
Uh, nice stream of consciousness or whatever :) Weird tho as I was just listening to Riders on the Storm just now, prefer the multich SACD to vinyl for sure (but my vinyl is well used otoh :) ). I think I might have only one dvd-audio disc, and not sure about that. Only recently went looking at multich SACD, but also use bluray and dvd sources, just limited choice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Legion of Boom is an AWESOME DVD-A if you like EDM.

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Boom-DVD-AUDIO-Crystal-Method/dp/B0002F6BKQ/ref=tmm_dva_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1525882638&sr=8-1

Planet Earth is good sampler of EDM too, but a bit pricey now:

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-Ltj-Bukem/dp/B0006ULVFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525882807&sr=8-1&keywords=planet+earth+dts+cd&dpID=61qoh0-IhHL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I am sure it sounds good on vinyl, but I prefer the m/c Riders on the Storm on the SACD too. I have not heard any DSP sound as good as a well done multichannel mix. (there are a lot of bad multichannel mixes out there too though).

Last edited:
DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Boom-DVD-AUDIO-Crystal-Method/dp/B0002F6BKQ/ref=tmm_dva_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1525882638&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-Ltj-Bukem/dp/B0006ULVFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525882807&sr=8-1&keywords=planet+earth+dts+cd&dpID=61qoh0-IhHL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I am sure it sounds good on vinyl, but I prefer the m/c Riders on the Storm on the SACD too. I have not heard any DSP sound as good as a well done multichannel mix. (there are a lot of bad multichannel mixes out there too though).
I have a DVD-Audio of the Doors and the mix is very lame no separation. DVD-A is a tool some use it well some don't. R.E.M greatest hits uses it well... with ORANGE CRUSH and the helicopters going around the room... The Beatles did some weird stuff that only shows on vinyl .. Again vinyl is a tool and some use it well and some don't... Refused used DVD -Audio well They remixed the whole recording just for DVD-A

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic

Funny I got into DVD-A when it first came out and they were all $15 tops. I have about 20 DVD-A now they can only be found online for $30-$40 Blue Man Group is Cool on DVD-A

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
I have The Police Greatest hits on SACD and DTS .... who remembers DTS ??. Doesn't DVD-A have the highest sample rate ???? My player is Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi with fire wire out to my Denon AVR4806CI

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have The Police Greatest hits on SACD and DTS .... who remembers DTS ??. Doesn't DVD-A have the highest sample rate ???? My player is Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi with fire wire out to my Denon AVR4806CI
I have some multi-ch classical discs (Alexander Jero) with DTS-HD MSTR tracks (bluray) as well as an Allman Bros at the Fillmore on a DTS CD disc.

Ps The BR discs are 96khz, the CD 44.1.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a DVD-Audio of the Doors and the mix is very lame no separation. DVD-A is a tool some use it well some don't. R.E.M greatest hits uses it well... with ORANGE CRUSH and the helicopters going around the room... The Beatles did some weird stuff that only shows on vinyl .. Again vinyl is a tool and some use it well and some don't... Refused used DVD -Audio well They remixed the whole recording just for DVD-A
No 5.1
on The Doors - L.A. Woman DVD Audio damn almost bought it. Thanks.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
No 5.1
on The Doors - L.A. Woman DVD Audio damn almost bought it. Thanks.
. I just looked and it is The Doors L.A. Woman DVD -A that I have And it sounds better on Vinyl to me with receiver set on 5.1 stereo playback. Maybe I will play it again but The vocals on "dvd a " just stayed on center channel and no instrument separation I have been getting a lot on Vinyl because I am building my collection back from 0..

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
I have some multi-ch classical discs (Alexander Jero) with DTS-HD MSTR tracks (bluray) as well as an Allman Bros at the Fillmore on a DTS CD disc.

Ps The BR discs are 96khz, the CD 44.1.
DVD-A 96Khz/24-Bit/5.1 Look up DVD-A VRS SACD on this web site DVD-A kills SACD

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
DVD-As that I have that sound great to me in order of greatness
1) Refused the shape of punk to come
2) The Cryststal Method Legion of Boom
3)The Best of R.EM> in time 1988-2003
4)Foo Fighters One By One
5)Depeche Mode Music for the Masses
6)Queen A Night at the Opera
7) Bjork Vespertine
8) Jane Monheit Come dream with me
9) Tubular Bells
10) Blue Man Group
I have 30 total but these are the ones I always play .

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A little off topic:
I was looking at CD's and saw "Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon [Explicit]"!
I don't remember anything that would cause that album to be labeled "explicit". Maybe I have only heard the censored version?
Ideas?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A little off topic:
I was looking at CD's and saw "Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon [Explicit]"!
I don't remember anything that would cause that album to be labeled "explicit". Maybe I have only heard the censored version?
Maybe the line that freaked my grandparents out back in the early 70s, the part I made sure to sing out loud if they were within earshot :)...."don't give me that do goody good bullshit"? Maybe some political ideas otherwise? Not sure...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis