Multi-Channel SACD played from OPPO UDP-205, Amazing!

• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DVD-A 96Khz/24-Bit/5.1 Look up DVD-A VRS SACD on this web site DVD-A kills SACD
Bluray can do better still....just got into the multich SACDs fairly recently, when I realized a few of my Sony BR players could handle SACD, as had mostly used a slim ps3 before that which couldn't, nor do I think it could play dvd-a. I'm just interested in anything multi-ch, but just haven't seen much available in dvd-a at all so most of mine is bluray or dvd or sacd...will look up that web site, tho.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I agree Blu-ray audio is very good too.

Pixies Doolittle

Both Nirvana discs as well

I ordered that used DVDA of Depeche Mode Music for the Masses that you guys mentioned, though. Can’t wait to hear it in DTS! :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe the line that freaked my grandparents out back in the early 70s, the part I made sure to sing out loud if they were within earshot :)...."don't give me that do goody good bullshit"? Maybe some political ideas otherwise? Not sure...
That would do it!

It doesn't take much.
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms is explicit because it has the line "That little faggot's got his own jet airplane; that little faggot, he's a millionaire"!
I think that passed the radio stations rule in the US, but Canada has different rules which led to it being banned from the radio. I guess someone did a mix with it dropped out for play over the air!

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Bluray can do better still....just got into the multich SACDs fairly recently, when I realized a few of my Sony BR players could handle SACD, as had mostly used a slim ps3 before that which couldn't, nor do I think it could play dvd-a. I'm just interested in anything multi-ch, but just haven't seen much available in dvd-a at all so most of mine is bluray or dvd or sacd...will look up that web site, tho.
Its right here on Audioholics its were google sent me ...

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
I agree Blu-ray audio is very good too.

Pixies Doolittle

Both Nirvana discs as well

I ordered that used DVDA of Depeche Mode Music for the Masses that you guys mentioned, though. Can’t wait to hear it in DTS! :)
What does blue ray have over DVD-A musically > besides 7 channels ? I got rid of my center channel for it was taking away from the music sound stage for me. 7 channels is way too much for music just my thoughts. Depeche mode way ahead of their times . They sound great in any format.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
That would do it!

It doesn't take much.
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms is explicit because it has the line "That little faggot's got his own jet airplane; that little faggot, he's a millionaire"!
I think that passed the radio stations rule in the US, but Canada has different rules which led to it being banned from the radio. I guess someone did a mix with it dropped out for play over the air!
Remember when the doors got in trouble for singing Come on Baby Light My FIRE ...live on the Ed Sully show ??? Jim looked right in camera and Blasted it out ...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Remember when the doors got in trouble for singing Come on Baby Light My FIRE ...live on the Ed Sully show ??? Jim looked right in camera and Blasted it out ...
Yeah, that was a pretty classic event.
Part of me wonders if Sullivan told them before the show ,"hey look, I have to ask you not to do this, and you have to tell me you won't, and when you do I'm going to look very upset"...
Nah! Not Ed!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No PS3 or PS4 can do DVD-A. Sony didn't add it because it was a competing format.

I have quite a few of the Depeche Mode DTS CDs and they are really excellent, all of them. 2ch and 5.1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does blue ray have over DVD-A musically > besides 7 channels ? I got rid of my center channel for it was taking away from the music sound stage for me. 7 channels is way too much for music just my thoughts. Depeche mode way ahead of their times . They sound great in any format.
Overall capacity I believe bluray has the edge as well. I'm fine with 7ch mixes, but many are just 5 still.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Overall capacity I believe bluray has the edge as well. I'm fine with 7ch mixes, but many are just 5 still.
Capacity is not a musical benefit.. Ok here is how I turned to DVD Audio this is just from my ear and no numbers to back it up. I started listening to cds on a cd player... ok sound. DVDs came out and put my cds in dvd player. I could swear It sounded better to me. Tried this many times and it just sounded better on a dvd player. I thought it might be that the dvd player could read more info faster. Then DTS came out . I think that was Yamaha's baby .. And I was Yup I can hear the improvement over cds clearly .. And the DVD-A came out and I think that was because they realized that DVD could read and process more info faster than cd. Plus the DAC in my Denon and the Pioneer are both top notch. And with fire wire out it is the Denon's DAC that is doing the work . And yes DVD-A is not a child of Sony ..But SACD had some love from Sony don't know if they are the father of SACD but there were in line to impregnate it .. Blue Ray has no musical benefits for me Sorry .. Just me

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
No PS3 or PS4 can do DVD-A. Sony didn't add it because it was a competing format.

I have quite a few of the Depeche Mode DTS CDs and they are really excellent, all of them. 2ch and 5.1.
Depeche mode amazed me when I started playing them again. The layers of audio they put in every song every album .. The Highs and the Lows They had great use of the audio spectrum way back in the 80's

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Capacity is not a musical benefit.. Ok here is how I turned to DVD Audio this is just from my ear and no numbers to back it up. I started listening to cds on a cd player... ok sound. DVDs came out and put my cds in dvd player. I could swear It sounded better to me. Tried this many times and it just sounded better on a dvd player. I thought it might be that the dvd player could read more info faster. Then DTS came out . I think that was Yamaha's baby .. And I was Yup I can hear the improvement over cds clearly .. And the DVD-A came out and I think that was because they realized that DVD could read and process more info faster than cd. Plus the DAC in my Denon and the Pioneer are both top notch. And with fire wire out it is the Denon's DAC that is doing the work . And yes DVD-A is not a child of Sony ..But SACD had some love from Sony don't know if they are the father of SACD but there were in line to impregnate it .. Blue Ray has no musical benefits for me Sorry .. Just me
LOL there's no magic in which particular disc format aside from capacity really. Higher bitrates, sampling rates, and additional storage can indeed be a benefit. Can't say I ever thought a dvd player played cd's any better than a cd-only optical disc player....and my dvd players don't play blurays. You're welcome to favor dvd-a discs but....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
LOL there's no magic in which particular disc format aside from capacity really. Higher bitrates, sampling rates, and additional storage can indeed be a benefit. Can't say I ever thought a dvd player played cd's any better than a cd-only optical disc player....and my dvd players don't play blurays. You're welcome to favor dvd-a discs but....
Only feature I found to make a CD Player better than a Universal Player was one to select total tracks to play, order of play, and total play time, which was useful for recording the CD playlists to cassette, assured of not running out of tape.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis