Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
i cant give you any more, gotta spread it around

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
brian32672 said:
Still recommend NeuNeo........

How about this, I am thinking of selling mine. HVD-2081 and going to the 2085...
what brands are these models from??

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
arevee said:
how much do u want for it? how old is it?
Sorry for such a late reply.. Forgot about this thread, and the many directions it has gone into...

Anyhow, for my player I would want at least 165.00 and 18.00 shipping to 48 U.S. states..
Its about 5-6 months old.

The new player has gone up in price, to a whopping 245.00 plus 30.00 shipping.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I just got the opportunity to use that DTS demo disc 9 last night and I've go to say WOW!. That BMG/DM song is incredible. Who knew, you take two things I hate, throw em together, and they sound fantastic. I also just started reading this thread, and now thanks to Garcia I've got a couple of more DVDs I've got to buy. The LP and NIN dvds will soon have a good home. Thanks to my anonymous benefactor for the DTS DVD.

By the way if anyone is still looking the Panasonic S77 is getting amazing reviews for both Picture and Audio, has an MSRP of $250 ($199 at bhphoto.com) and plays everything except SACD. Supposedly this player has bass management too.

M

moverton

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
I'll second the Pioneer recc. for a cheap universal. I have the 578 (older version of the 588) that I got for cheap and I love it. Great quality, fairly solid build, and a price that can't be argued with.
i agree. this was a great value for money player. recomended if you want to try sacd/dvd-a cheap.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckeye by chance just picked up one of these discs, Hmm so the X-sub needs to be recalibrated. LOL

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672 said:
Buckeye by chance just picked up one of these discs, Hmm so the X-sub needs to be recalibrated. LOL
Just played the DTS disc. If you want to fry your speakers, just crank it up with this amazing disc. My XSUB bottomed out for the first time. Pretty cool. :rolleyes: I love "The Run." The sound effects are second to none. The song "Alive and Kicking" had a little too much midrange (blame it on the recording engineer - not my eq :cool: ), but all the others sounded fantastic. It really shows what a great sub can do, and how great surround sound should be. The dynamics are outstanding.

If you want to impress, this is the disc to play.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Couple of good DTS CDs - Sting's Nothing Like the Sun and Ten Summoner's Tales, Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle.

I was rediscovering some of my DVD-As this weekend when I hooked up my 2900 via multichannel. I had been using the m/c input for SACD when I had my 2200, but I figured since I swapped it out for the 2200, I would try it out once again. WOW, I don't remember Linkin Park's Reanimation sounding that good in surround. Still one of my favorite DVD-As.

Ambient Fish

Audiophyte
Hi Spiffyfast, you don't need to buy SACD or DVD-A or DTS or Dolby Digital, try playing your CDs through your amp with the Dolby PL or PLII engaged and you will be amazed, Mike Oldfield's back catalogue is particularly good for PL II decoding.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Ambient Fish said:
Hi Spiffyfast, you don't need to buy SACD or DVD-A or DTS or Dolby Digital, try playing your CDs through your amp with the Dolby PL or PLII engaged and you will be amazed, Mike Oldfield's back catalogue is particularly good for PL II decoding.
I guess, but I rarely if ever listen to the pseudo-surround, preferring stereo instead. True 5.1 multichannel (SACD, DVD-A, even DTS) is just miles above any "black magic" surround.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ambient Fish said:
This is NOT multichannel music. The difference being one is recorded with the sound being placed in a particular speaker by design during the mixing process rather than getting whatever you get when you simulate via DSP. I agree with Hawkeye too, DSP surround from CDs doesn't even come close to true, discrete surround, and is not even worth comparing to multichannel hires DVD-A and SACD. DPL and DPLII's effectiveness depends entirely on the recording, so that recommendation is going to be hit or miss at best. PLII does do a pretty good job, but it still isn't as good as true multichannel music.

If you're amazed by DSP surround, I'd go out and get a universal hires player today and find out what you're missing.

Ambient Fish

Audiophyte
I have a Hi Res player in the Denon DVD 2900 and yes the discrete formats are true surround but I have well over 500 CDs and many of them are no longer available. PLiiX is very consistent in the way that it treats sounds and yes it is very dependant on the quality of the original recording which is why I specified Mike Oldfield's back catalogue as being particularly good in PLiiX :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis