Multi Channel Music is Amazing

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
for that price, i may just order one to see what the picture looks like, its got 6 days left on the auction, but i dont see it going over like 40 bucks
Oh, the picture is great. When it plays. However my NeuNeo does have a better picture..

Other notes on the 841
It will do DVD-A. (if I remember correctly)
It has plenty of connection options
Also it seems to work better with DVD-R over a factory pressed disc.
But it skips and locks up on DVD-R as well, and is much worse on pressed discs.
It is very sluggish controls, and has dithering problems.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. The 841 was not a very good player. Tried it out when they first came out and was much less than impressed. 841 does both DVD-A and SACD. For $20, it's not bad actually, but it's not a great player.

Seriously, if music is the desire for a universal player, el-cheapo just isn't going to cut it. It WILL still sound better than redbook CD, but it isn't going to really show you what these formats are capable of. IMO, save and get a decent player.

Used 2910 or 2200 would be good choices.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I wasn't going to get it to keep probably, just get it to try it out, if it was good enough for me I'd think about keeping it, I really just wanna see if upconverion is all hype or not. And for 20 bucks it'd be worth it to find out, if i dont like i could always just sell the player to one of my fraternity bros or trade it for a case of beer or something

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I say go for it for that price. Heck, maybe I'll pick one up too for the family... :)

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
j_garcia said:
I say go for it for that price. Heck, maybe I'll pick one up too for the family... :)
that was kind of my thoughts, its cheap enough where if I dont like it, im not too worried about being able to recoup my money or close to it at least.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
I wasn't going to get it to keep probably, just get it to try it out, if it was good enough for me I'd think about keeping it, I really just wanna see if upconverion is all hype or not. And for 20 bucks it'd be worth it to find out, if i dont like i could always just sell the player to one of my fraternity bros or trade it for a case of beer or something
If thats the case, then I would certainly not pay more than 30.00 including shipping.
And trust me, it will be hard to dump. So IMO, the 30 would be better to save for a decent player.
If I still had one of mine, I would of gave it to you for 10.00 and 12.00 shipping.
If you get a working one, it will work pretty good for about a week. Then it will have all the problems I stated. I'm sure JGarcia would attest to this. So if you get it, then try it and dump it within a week.
Samsung is very difficult to deal with, strike that. They are ok to deal with, but their service centers are difficult to deal with.
I kept getting my players back saying they tested fine. Yeah, they tesy fine if you stick a disc in it for 10 minutes.....
I think I still have a stack of RMA #'s and emails about the problems, if you would like to see them...

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I believe ya, but for 20 bucks plus shipping I think its worth trying out, but who knows, maybe I'll get back to school and back my Mitsu, get everything hooked up and not even care about upconversion, b/c i've been stuck on a 1985 27" RCA console tv all summer with composite video.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know if it was quality control or just a bad design, but the 841 wasn't on the market for very long. The one I tried didn't have any quality problems, but I only had it for a short time. I replaced it with a Denon 910, which actually had problems right out of the box, so I just said heck with it and got the 2200 (which was over 2x the price of the others new) and never looked back.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'll second the Pioneer recc. for a cheap universal. I have the 578 (older version of the 588) that I got for cheap and I love it. Great quality, fairly solid build, and a price that can't be argued with.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
I believe ya, but for 20 bucks plus shipping I think its worth trying out, but who knows, maybe I'll get back to school and back my Mitsu, get everything hooked up and not even care about upconversion, b/c i've been stuck on a 1985 27" RCA console tv all summer with composite video.
Well not sure on the 27" So the quote below from your other post may be in-line with what your after. Me with a 120" Yes I notice a big difference.
I did notice a better picture with my 36" as well. But as soon as I got the 120" I sold the 36" to my mother, and gave her the 96" screen.

P.S. This is from 'best upconverting dvd player under 300.00' Also Clint says he has a Oppo in for testing...

hulinning said:
Second, I see someone have a comment that oppo produce good picture on their tv set. I am talking about resolution now not color of the picture.
If you have a small size tv set < 40 inch, then you do not see the different if input source greater than 480 which is standard dvd output.
If you have a large tv set 61 inch than you can see the different.
I can tell the oppo does not produce a better picture than my Cyberhome dvd player 300 (25 dollar) at some scenes. If that the case why I need to spend 200 dollar for this.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Jaxvon, how do you like the DTS Demo disc, I thought it was great.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Spiffyfast said:
Jaxvon, how do you like the DTS Demo disc, I thought it was great.
He does not have the equipment to play it at the moment. At least thats what he told me...
Also it should be used with 6.1 or even better 7.1

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Oh, I knew he had the Bic bookshelves, thought he had the whole system though. Jaxvon you need to get on that, chop chop, im throwing all mine into my room at college so I dont want to hear any excuses. : )

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I almost went with the 841 myself. Despite its better specs, I just couldn't handle a layer change of over a second, so I went with the Pioneer 588, and it's not bad at all. The lack of blacker than black drives me nuts, but otherwise it's a nice little player. It's got a lightning-quick layer change, which is why I chose this one over the 841. It converts DSD to PCM, which may or may not be to your liking. And it won't do random/shuffle for mp3s. But out of all the budget players I found in the stores in my area, it was my first choice.

cheers,
supervij

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
I played mine yesterday and it was just as he said(don't want to say the name cause everyone will be asking him :D )....Just awesome....it really showed off what my system could do....My speakers and sub definetly got a serious workout.When playing the Blue Man group mine did say DTS 96/24 and it sounded downright crazy as just did the whole disc.I am also very happy with my new Oppo....much better than my Sony......Thanks again for the disc and all the audio/video help. :D

Last edited:
Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Yeah, Blue Man Group was my favorite on the disc. Do you upconvert the signal or just use 480p off of the oppo, I'm curious as to whether it adds a noticable difference in doing so.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Meh, I'm working on it! I'm a college student too. I still need to pick up a receiver (I bet you know which one...) my center, a sub (prolly gonna be the Cadence), and some sort of good viewing device. I really wanna get a projector, but I can't really throw down the ~$1400 it would take to get one and a screen.

And I think I posted that response on the Pioneer in the wrong thread. There was another one where the 588 had been plugged (by Spiffy I think) and I was seconding it. Don't know how I screwed that one up though.

As for shopping, I think I'm gonna go haggle as BB this weekend for my receiver. Payday is Friday so I should be able to get most of my stuff in and ready for move-in...

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
very nice, im just going to be missing my sub when i first get there, but it will be ordered as soon as I have my PC up and running at school

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
On this thread it should be obvious....I'm going for the 1015TX. I would've opted for the RX-V657 (which I can get for the same price from an authorized dealer with a 10-year part guarantee). However, I need 3 component inputs, and thus I'm opting for the Pioneer.

I had an opportunity to get some Rocket subwoofers for a substantial discount, but unfortunately they're still out of my price range. So Cadence it is.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jaxvon said:
On this thread it should be obvious....I'm going for the 1015TX. I would've opted for the RX-V657 (which I can get for the same price from an authorized dealer with a 10-year part guarantee). However, I need 3 component inputs, and thus I'm opting for the Pioneer.

I had an opportunity to get some Rocket subwoofers for a substantial discount, but unfortunately they're still out of my price range. So Cadence it is.
should be a very nice setup when its all said and done, I guess we'll be the Pioneer/Bic Club

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis