D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Amazing what you can find when you scroll the cable channels. I think it was VH1 that I ended up being disappointed with cause it had all the standard 80s vids. Classic plays a lot of songs I'm familiar with but the videos I haven't seen in a long time. I wouldn't say uncommon, but none the less some I haven't seen in quite a long time. I think it was right around 1980-82 or so music videos was this medium that was being experimented before it kinda lost its fun by becoming more sophisticated.

Duran Duran were probably the ones most noted during the decade for trying to do a lot with their videos.

This one not a great video but completely forgot the song in its classic stark sorta sheen.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Apt that this was the first video ever. Sensational and iconic.:)
If I saw that correctly there's no guitar. The lead singer is on bass. Pretty sweet.:cool:

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
A very undervalued video. What you can do with a good director and editing. Missing Persons- love the lipstick and eyeliner, and they just look like rock stars here. Terry's frenetic energy and amazing drum fills, and Dale is well Dale. She's often credited for influencing Lady Gaga. In the future Dale's look would be influenced by crayola crayons I believe. Warren Cuccurullo (guitar) would go on to play for Duran Duran if I have that correct. I believe that's a Vox Winchester he's using with the slim rectangular look. Awesome. I tried to find an early comment from someone who worked on the video. Something like "We never got paid" and a few other tidbits, but that's going through 1300 comments!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A very undervalued video. What you can do with a good director and editing. Missing Persons- love the lipstick and eyeliner, and they just look like rock stars here. Terry's frenetic energy and amazing drum fills, and Dale is well Dale. She's often credited for influencing Lady Gaga. In the future Dale's look would be influenced by crayola crayons I believe. Warren Cuccurullo (guitar) would go on to play for Duran Duran if I have that correct. I believe that's a Vox Winchester he's using with the slim rectangular look. Awesome. I tried to find an early comment from someone who worked on the video. Something like "We never got paid" and a few other tidbits, but that's going through 1300 comments!
I like this tune. I only know Missing Persons from "Destination Unknown" and "Walking in LA," both of which I quite enjoy, but I never bothered to dig further into their discography. Maybe it's time I take a closer look at other tunes they have done.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Thought it was worth putting in a couple others to round out the MP catalog. Someone made a good point they were a "rockier" band during the new wave era. Destination Unknown sorta encompasses the "sound" of new wave IMO.

The remaster of Surrender Your Heart sounds like a big improvement. When I think electric bass I think of this: simple spaced out chords that echo, and it's really carrying the song.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I like this tune. I only know Missing Persons from "Destination Unknown" and "Walking in LA," both of which I quite enjoy, but I never bothered to dig further into their discography. Maybe it's time I take a closer look at other tunes they have done.
Other than what I've listed I'm afraid the list is short. I believe these three are their best.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Mental Hopscotch- yeah those had to be pros making that video. Capturing it, editing, using the minimal effects for the time to make it highly effective. Superb video!

My fav part about the Destination Unknown video is the mascara the *blank* look from the guys. Love it.:)

Surrender Your Heart- I think its the simplicity but also the clarity of sound within each instrument. A worthy A-list ballad from the 80s IMO.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This would've been a fun video to make. Pretty funny with a wee bit of misdirection LOL.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Terry Bozzio is one of the greats. I actually met him at a drum clinic one night. It was at a bar and he had a full kit set up. It was a lot of fun and he went over some really cool stuff. My buddy got him to sign an old drum head, lol.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Classic high school cheerleader video. I giggle, but the choreography is outstanding. She did all the dance routines. Basil was 37 or so at the time. She's 77 now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Love Missing Persons. Got to work with Dale and Terry once on some logistics they were doing for themselves (mutual connection my working with Zappa for logistics at the time), really wanted to meet Dale in person, but wasn't necessary unfortunately :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis