Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I am going to go with the rsl c34e speakers
... and not TLS's recommendation? :oops:

To me, there's a big difference in size and (not that the doc is never wrong) the doc knows stuff about speakers
(not that WL doesn't). Plus they're cheaper to replace after your boys launch them into a lunar orbit.

Last edited:
ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
... and not TLS's recommendation? :oops:

To me, there's a big difference in size and (not that the doc is never wrong) the doc knows stuff about speakers
(not that WL doesn't). Plus they're cheaper to replace after your boys launch them into a lunar orbit.
I know, not listening to TLS hurts, on the inside!!
The size difference doesn't concern me too much. The %chance of having to replace them is lowered by the power handling??

How about I like the look better? As far as reasonings go that counts :D

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello All
It's been a while since I have been surfing around here but I have been somewhat distracted building a house :D Due to the fact that I am at the point where I need to make decisions for my theater speakers. I need to determine what speakers I am going to have in the ceiling for the Atmos speakers because I will be drywalling in a couple weeks.

To rehash theater details;
Room dimensions, 28'6"L x 12'W x 7"6"H
AT screen and projector (tbd)
Front 3 hidden behind screen (thinking er18's and elusive 1099)
Surround speakers (er18's, volt10 from diysoundgroup)
Ceiling speakers (I have looked at RBH and the volt series)
2 transmission line sub woofers that I am going to pester TLS about

The ceiling speakers are my main concern at this point, what suggestions or concerns are out there? Given that they are a not as responsible for the sound output I am leaning for more budget options.

Congrats...looks like a nice build coming along.

On the atmos IC speakers...I'm one of those people that typically will not buy the cheapest anything audio wise. idk much about atmos music applications, but for movies, you can't get by with moderately priced speakers. I bought two pair of Polk 8" RC80i....they seem to do the trick.

My HT space is in the loft with attic space above so I wasn't concerned about sound bleed.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Well here I am again! Made a bit of progress so now I have a room! Now I am moving on to the hardware that goes into it.
Plan thus far:

Room acoustic treatments;
Bass traps in the corners - full height triangular
front wall covered in wedge acoustic materials maybe
ceiling will have 3/4" sonopanels wrapped in black speaker cloth, these will also contain the fiber optic star ceiling I am planning
I will also build at least a single sound diffuser
a couple sound absorption panels at the primary bounce points for the left and right channels to the main seating positions

Picture;
Seymour screen Center Stage XD
Projector (Epson 5040UB?) I am a ways from getting this so not too concerned on hammering this one out. I believe most current projectors can do what I need from my projection point ~14' back from screen, center.
Simple black speaker cloth for the ceiling and the below the screen, should I get some black velvet to surround the screen?

Sound;
Originally planned to use ER18 ribbons for all 7 channels around (side channels modified). I have also looked at the Elusive1099 speakers, they look impressive but I will use the HT for music listening to as well so I think that having all channels voiced similarly might be important. If I go with the 1099 what do I use for surrounds :?
The ceiling speakers will the the RSL c34e
The eventual goal is to have a separates system but for now I am thinking about something like a x6500H and then adding amplification later (at least the front 3 channels)
2 transmission line subwoofers that TLS is hopefully kind enough to design.

Well that seems fairly comprehensive. Just so I'm clear, this project will take place throughout the year so don't expect speedy completion :)

Any thoughts, questions, or suggestions?

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Alright I am back for help again.

I tried to work out a modification for the er18 speaker so that I could use them for the side speakers but in the end I am unhappy with how much the speaker would protrude from the wall. I have 3.5" max space to bury the speaker in the wall and would prefer the speaker to come out of the wall a max of 1.5".

I am considering using a standard in wall speaker. Damn, my power tools are hissing at me.....

I have some experience with in wall speaker in a general sense, I have several around the house that I use for distributed audio. These however are generic that are for ambiance not critical listening. They are fine, when I get the rest of my audio stuff I might turn my head to upgrading these.
Anywho, suggestions on in walls that might blend in with the ER18's?

Next question. Considering the ceiling is black I am thinking I might need a black projector to fit. Suggestions?

Oh, and a quick pic of room thus far;
theater.jpg

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Congrats...looks like a nice build coming along.

On the atmos IC speakers...I'm one of those people that typically will not buy the cheapest anything audio wise. idk much about atmos music applications, but for movies, you can't get by with moderately priced speakers. I bought two pair of Polk 8" RC80i....they seem to do the trick.

My HT space is in the loft with attic space above so I wasn't concerned about sound bleed.
Intended to say for movies, you can get by with moderately priced speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis