William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This was in my email today. All I can do is lmao. I’m sure their are some propeller heads like us that would do a good job but really?
Got my laugh for the day!

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
There are so many people that have absolutely zero skills. As in doing a minor appliance setup, a minor AV setup, minor home repair, etc. They literally don't know how to hang a picture on a wall. The literally cannot connect a TV to an antennae or to a cable box. Mom and Dad either did it or paid someone to do it for them so they have zero ability to take care of a home, apartment, car, etc.

So I'm not surprised at DISH pushing a service that charges you $100/hour or more for a tech to do it for you and pay the tech $13/hour.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are so many people that have absolutely zero skills. As in doing a minor appliance setup, a minor AV setup, minor home repair, etc. They literally don't know how to hang a picture on a wall. The literally cannot connect a TV to an antennae or to a cable box. Mom and Dad either did it or paid someone to do it for them so they have zero ability to take care of a home, apartment, car, etc.

So I'm not surprised at DISH pushing a service that charges you $100/hour or more for a tech to do it for you and pay the tech $13/hour.
Yup. I made tons of money as an installer when people didn't have a clue. I even went over instructions with them before they left the store in an attempt to help.

I'm sure you've seen the instructions that come with some receivers that show all the possible connections to get audio/video. Customer thought you had to connect ALL of the possible options. After explaining that to them they asked how I knew that. I flat told them "I read the manual".

People have no clue how much time they'd save if they'd just stop and read some instructions.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup. I made tons of money as an installer when people didn't have a clue. I even went over instructions with them before they left the store in an attempt to help.

I'm sure you've seen the instructions that come with some receivers that show all the possible connections to get audio/video. Customer thought you had to connect ALL of the possible options. After explaining that to them they asked how I knew that. I flat told them "I read the manual".

People have no clue how much time they'd save if they'd just stop and read some instructions.
At my job, I have made vendors....the people that install and setup the equipment.....look like complete fools because I solved a problem in a few minutes that they did not solve in weeks. The problem was clearly shown in the manual, it clearly said that when you use this equipment for that application, you must open it up and remove a particular part that comes pre-installed.

Guess what, I had read the manual, the bozos setting up the equipment had not read the manual!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yep. People are LAAAAYZYEEE!!!!!!! And stupid too. My wife gives me S because I read the owners manuals for every single thing I buy. Even if I already know how to use it. How can anyone know all the stuff their new “thing” can do without the manual.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yep. People are LAAAAYZYEEE!!!!!!! And stupid too. My wife gives me S because I read the owners manuals for every single thing I buy. Even if I already know how to use it. How can anyone know all the stuff their new “thing” can do without the manual.
If people started to read manuals there would be fewer posts on AH :)

That said, many manuals are poorly written and/or not updated.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Very true. I've had some things not even come with one. Just a link to the manual online. That's a different kind of irritating.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This was in my email today. All I can do is lmao. I’m sure their are some propeller heads like us that would do a good job but really?
Got my laugh for the day!
OK, tell us that you have never checked a sound bar, to make sure it was straight. :cool:

Only the White Van guys install sound bars without.........wait- I drive a white van......:eek:

highfigh

highfigh

At my job, I have made vendors....the people that install and setup the equipment.....look like complete fools because I solved a problem in a few minutes that they did not solve in weeks. The problem was clearly shown in the manual, it clearly said that when you use this equipment for that application, you must open it up and remove a particular part that comes pre-installed.

Guess what, I had read the manual, the bozos setting up the equipment had not read the manual!
I had a guy call to complain about a cassette deck- said it was the biggest POS he has ever seen, would NEVER buy another POS from Sony, etc. He paused, I asked what it was doing and he said (loudly) "NOTHING! It's not doing anything!"/ I asked where it was plugged in and, after a short pause, he hung up. RTFM.

On the dealer side, it can be just as bad. I joined a ski boat forum after seeing someone give really bad advice and as a former Mastercraft service tech, I hung around to help when I can. Someone posted about a performance problem and I suggested that he check the coolant temperature sensor (ECT). The next day, someone chimed in that he had been experiencing a similar symptom, so he replaced his ECT and found that it was the cause of a problem that his dealer couldn't solve in five years.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That’s true, many manuals are horrible. Who knows, maybe there’d be more posts if people read the manual cause they wouldn’t know what the hell it says anyway!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
OK, tell us that you have never checked a sound bar, to make sure it was straight. :cool:

Only the White Van guys install sound bars without.........wait- I drive a white van......:eek:
Lol! Ok, you got me. But that was only ONE time.
Hey, I used to drive a white van too. A 26 footer that just blew up last week.

highfigh

highfigh

Lol! Ok, you got me. But that was only ONE time.
Hey, I used to drive a white van too. A 26 footer that just blew up last week.
Mine is a 2005 Astro cargo van with a bit more than 210K miles. People compliment me on it's clean condition but it came from Phoenix in 2011, so all of the minor rust spots are from being in MKE, where they pave the roads with salt.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The next day, someone chimed in that he had been experiencing a similar symptom, so he replaced his ECT and found that it was the cause of a problem that his dealer couldn't solve in five years.
I'd raise all sorts of hell if I were that customer. That's insane.

Granted, my wife's car had an issue after she filled up at a gas station. I told her it was probably bad gas as we had had ZERO issues with the vehicle and it only had 40k miles on it. Took it to a mechanic just to take a look and they told me that since it was under warranty (100k mile drivetrain) that I should take it to the dealer. I hate taking vehicles to the dealer. They are usually inept, but whatever the issue it would be fixed for free.

The service guy (who's job I can only assume is to not know things and forget to call back) told me the intake was broken (even though the vehicle ran and had no codes) and that it wasn't covered. Not too expensive so I let them fix it. 3 WEEKS later they have replaced the head on the vehicle (known issue with the previous year model) and told me they finally fixed the problem...it was bad gas. I told the service guy moron that when I took it in. He forgot and told my wife that "it would have been nice to know" when they got the vehicle. I haven't stopped trashing them to anyone that will listen. :mad:

highfigh

highfigh

I'd raise all sorts of hell if I were that customer. That's insane.

Granted, my wife's car had an issue after she filled up at a gas station. I told her it was probably bad gas as we had had ZERO issues with the vehicle and it only had 40k miles on it. Took it to a mechanic just to take a look and they told me that since it was under warranty (100k mile drivetrain) that I should take it to the dealer. I hate taking vehicles to the dealer. They are usually inept, but whatever the issue it would be fixed for free.

The service guy (who's job I can only assume is to not know things and forget to call back) told me the intake was broken (even though the vehicle ran and had no codes) and that it wasn't covered. Not too expensive so I let them fix it. 3 WEEKS later they have replaced the head on the vehicle (known issue with the previous year model) and told me they finally fixed the problem...it was bad gas. I told the service guy moron that when I took it in. He forgot and told my wife that "it would have been nice to know" when they got the vehicle. I haven't stopped trashing them to anyone that will listen. :mad:
It's unfortunate, but the marine industry has a lot of bad techs and in some places, they just move from place to place, rather than leave the business or get some training. First time I went, we had a day of electrical training that included wiring a Bosch relay to switch between a bilge blower and a light. I had worked with car audio & security for over 20 years, so it was no big deal. The group fighting with it before me had no.freaking. idea. what the relay did, how it worked or how to wire it. Apparently, they had great reputations for service, but only if the engine had a carb. The instructor saw me sitting at a desk and asked what I was doing. I told him I was waiting for the relay rig and after he said I should report back in a few if they weren't done, I asked if it would be OK to draw a diagram, so I did. That took all of ten seconds and when he saw this, he asked me to help the other group.

The bad ECT tells me the tech never went to service for fuel injection because it's one of the senders that affects performance the most.

I heard about fuel quality problems in this area and started taking the receipt every time I buy- that way, I have proof of where the gas was bought and when.

You would be amazed by the number of people who own boats that cost over $60K (many over $100K) and would never think of touching their car or truck, but they jump in head first on the boat at the first hint of trouble and the fact that they know absolutely nothing about how to troubleshoot it has no impact on this. the first thing they do is break out the parts cannon and start firing. Eventually, they can fix it, but when they replace all of the sensors, plugs, wires and other small parts, there's no way to be certain about what caused it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis