More dialog issues - anyone watch Lupin on Netflix?

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I am still troubleshooting dialog issues on my system. Some things sound just great and others awful where the dialog just gets completely buried. I've sort of beat this horse, so I don't think it's necessary to go through all of the potential possibilities again, but I do believe a lot of the issue is poorly recorded material.

I was wondering if anyone has watched Lupin on Netflix and has any feedback on the quality on their system. It is a French series and has an English overdub track. Suffice it to say my experience was not good. I found dialog volume all over the place and surround background swells that seemed inappropriately loud at times.

I was just hoping to get a sanity check to see if anyone else had watched it and experienced anything similar.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will give it a try in its native French 5.1 soundtrack (usually my pref with subtitles anyways) as well as the English 5.1.....let you know

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Will give it a try in its native French 5.1 soundtrack (usually my pref with subtitles anyways) as well as the English 5.1.....let you know
Thanks. FWIW, I found it particularly bad in the last couple of episodes.
Funny, I didn't even think to try it in the original French with subtitles. I'll try that out myself.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I listened to the first episode in Spanish in 5.1 and no issues. You getting Dolby +?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing I noticed after watching it in French then switching to English is that it was a few dB hotter to my ear for the English (and even did it twice in each but without measuring). But seemed more the background rather than dialog fwiw. In general I don't like the dubbed thing and I'd say it does have some quality issues....

I tend to watch in original language as the dubbed non-matching lip movements I just find a bit disconcerting.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... Some things sound just great and others awful where the dialog just gets completely buried. ...
Unfortunately nothing you can do about this. It is all a recording issue, not your setup. I have zero issues with news programs yet on some/many series and movies, it is just horrible. Pausing, repeat and even turning it up doesn't help. Wife cannot make it out either which is saying something.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
One thing I noticed after watching it in French then switching to English is that it was a few dB hotter to my ear for the English (and even did it twice in each but without measuring). But seemed more the background rather than dialog fwiw. In general I don't like the dubbed thing and I'd say it does have some quality issues....

I tend to watch in original language as the dubbed non-matching lip movements I just find a bit disconcerting.....
That is what I was experiencing, I think. The background was hotter than the dialog. I agree about the dubbing. It is rather distracting. I don't think I'll be watching that way in the future.

I did realize that I had Dynamic EQ on with a 10db offset. It seemed a little better with that off.

My inclination is immediately to blame the equipment, but I doubt that is the case.

Thanks for checking it out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is what I was experiencing, I think. The background was hotter than the dialog. I agree about the dubbing. It is rather distracting. I don't think I'll be watching that way in the future.

I did realize that I had Dynamic EQ on with a 10db offset. It seemed a little better with that off.

My inclination is immediately to blame the equipment, but I doubt that is the case.

Thanks for checking it out.
Interesting show, now on ep 3 :) so thanks for the suggestion! I used RLO 0 and DEQ and at -20 volume myself. French is an easy language to listen to, too....

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Interesting show, now on ep 3 :) so thanks for the suggestion! I used RLO 0 and DEQ and at -20 volume myself. French is an easy language to listen to, too....
Just a warning, the show is in 2 parts. I'm not sure when they will release part 2, but part 1 ends with a cliffhanger :mad:;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BTW the same lead actor was in The Intouchables (original version of the US' The Upside with Brian Cranston/Kevin Hart), saw that a while back and enjoyed it....

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
BTW the same lead actor was in The Intouchables (original version of the US' The Upside with Brian Cranston/Kevin Hart), saw that a while back and enjoyed it....
Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis