More dialog issues - anyone watch Lupin on Netflix?

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I am still troubleshooting dialog issues on my system. Some things sound just great and others awful where the dialog just gets completely buried. I've sort of beat this horse, so I don't think it's necessary to go through all of the potential possibilities again, but I do believe a lot of the issue is poorly recorded material.

I was wondering if anyone has watched Lupin on Netflix and has any feedback on the quality on their system. It is a French series and has an English overdub track. Suffice it to say my experience was not good. I found dialog volume all over the place and surround background swells that seemed inappropriately loud at times.

I was just hoping to get a sanity check to see if anyone else had watched it and experienced anything similar.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will give it a try in its native French 5.1 soundtrack (usually my pref with subtitles anyways) as well as the English 5.1.....let you know

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Will give it a try in its native French 5.1 soundtrack (usually my pref with subtitles anyways) as well as the English 5.1.....let you know
Thanks. FWIW, I found it particularly bad in the last couple of episodes.
Funny, I didn't even think to try it in the original French with subtitles. I'll try that out myself.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I listened to the first episode in Spanish in 5.1 and no issues. You getting Dolby +?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing I noticed after watching it in French then switching to English is that it was a few dB hotter to my ear for the English (and even did it twice in each but without measuring). But seemed more the background rather than dialog fwiw. In general I don't like the dubbed thing and I'd say it does have some quality issues....

I tend to watch in original language as the dubbed non-matching lip movements I just find a bit disconcerting.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Audioholic Slumlord
.... Some things sound just great and others awful where the dialog just gets completely buried. ...
Unfortunately nothing you can do about this. It is all a recording issue, not your setup. I have zero issues with news programs yet on some/many series and movies, it is just horrible. Pausing, repeat and even turning it up doesn't help. Wife cannot make it out either which is saying something.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
One thing I noticed after watching it in French then switching to English is that it was a few dB hotter to my ear for the English (and even did it twice in each but without measuring). But seemed more the background rather than dialog fwiw. In general I don't like the dubbed thing and I'd say it does have some quality issues....

I tend to watch in original language as the dubbed non-matching lip movements I just find a bit disconcerting.....
That is what I was experiencing, I think. The background was hotter than the dialog. I agree about the dubbing. It is rather distracting. I don't think I'll be watching that way in the future.

I did realize that I had Dynamic EQ on with a 10db offset. It seemed a little better with that off.

My inclination is immediately to blame the equipment, but I doubt that is the case.

Thanks for checking it out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is what I was experiencing, I think. The background was hotter than the dialog. I agree about the dubbing. It is rather distracting. I don't think I'll be watching that way in the future.

I did realize that I had Dynamic EQ on with a 10db offset. It seemed a little better with that off.

My inclination is immediately to blame the equipment, but I doubt that is the case.

Thanks for checking it out.
Interesting show, now on ep 3 :) so thanks for the suggestion! I used RLO 0 and DEQ and at -20 volume myself. French is an easy language to listen to, too....

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Interesting show, now on ep 3 :) so thanks for the suggestion! I used RLO 0 and DEQ and at -20 volume myself. French is an easy language to listen to, too....
Just a warning, the show is in 2 parts. I'm not sure when they will release part 2, but part 1 ends with a cliffhanger :mad:;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BTW the same lead actor was in The Intouchables (original version of the US' The Upside with Brian Cranston/Kevin Hart), saw that a while back and enjoyed it....

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
BTW the same lead actor was in The Intouchables (original version of the US' The Upside with Brian Cranston/Kevin Hart), saw that a while back and enjoyed it....
Interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis