Monster Cable - Continued...

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
What little I've seen of monster is their lower end cables are decent, but still nowhere near the price, and their excesive reliance on snake oil is every bit as bad.

Only time I bought monster was when I did not know how to make my own cables. Once I saw what my non-wholesale cost was, and realized that with my labor (I was making $19/hr at that time, so I say 19/hr as a tech would have been fair pay), that the cables I made was far cheaper than Monster...actually it was still less than half, and the quality was identical if not better.

It's just at their price point, they are not very good buys....same can be said for 90% of the hi-fi cable market however.

It's their pompousness mixed with the above that originally made me steer clear of them...no their cable is not better due to winding, or their OFC with one extra 9 on it (as if three nines wasnt good enough)....it's just pure snake oil at it's worst, since that snake oil has become a household name. What they do have that isn't snake oil is often not even carried on the shop floor, and you have to mail order it....that's bullcrap.

Either way, roll your own, and advocate to all your friends to roll their own cables...it's not hard, it's not magical, but it gives you a bang for the buck that pretty much can't be beat.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Az B said:
I don't mean this as a spelling flame, because they suck. But if you're going to write letters to companies and expect them to take you seriously, please use a spell checker.
[sarcastic mode/ on]
Yes, I am sure you are correct. Monster Cable would take the thousands of complaint letters seriously if they did not contain spelling errors. But seeing as probably most of the letters contain a few spelling errors, Monster will not take these seriously. The real problem is that no one is using the spell check function.
[sarcastic mode/ off]

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

When did consumer feedback correspondence incur this as a requirement?

-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
NomoSony said:
. Monster must be supplying a few free lunches along with their training demos for these guys.
I wish I still had a link to what Monster does to their sales force incentives; vacations to Hawaii and a whole bunch of other buy offs.
They are in business to make a huge profit and they are succeeding because of consumer gullibility :mad:

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
WmAxAre you serious? :rolleyes: When did consumer feedback correspondence incur this as a requirement? -Chris[/QUOTE said:
No, it's not a requirement.

It's been my experience that it can make a difference. Sometimes things that are hard to understand are ignored.

But hey, feel free not to take the three seconds it takes to run the spellchecker. I might be wrong.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Done, sir! :)

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/1998/1228/6214066a_print.html

One nice quote from the Forbes article:

"Cables are to a stereo store what undercoating is to a car dealer. At Ken Crane's, a chain of eight stores based in Hawthorne, Calif., Monster accounts for 2% of retail sales volume but 30% of gross profit."

And another:

"Every month Lee sends out the numbers to each store that agrees to his aggressive sales strategy, tracking the performance of each salesman and a store's overall performance rank among competing retailers. The rankings are based not on dollar volume but on the percentage of customers who go out of the store with a Monster product. It's from this list Lee selects the winners of his all-expenses-paid weekends."

mtrycrafts said:
I wish I still had a link to what Monster does to their sales force incentives; vacations to Hawaii and a whole bunch of other buy offs.
They are in business to make a huge profit and they are succeeding because of consumer gullibility :mad:

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Az B said:
No, it's not a requirement.

It's been my experience that it can make a difference. Sometimes things that are hard to understand are ignored.

But hey, feel free not to take the three seconds it takes to run the spellchecker. I might be wrong.
I do not notice any errors in my email that would be of a magnitude sufficient to impede understanding.

-Chris

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
WmAx said:
I do not notice any errors in my email that would be of a magnitude sufficient to impede understanding.

-Chris
It's not a matter of impeding understanding. People can read and understand total gobbledygook as long as the first and last letters of a word are correct. It's more a matter of appearing intelligent and thoughtful by using proper grammar and spelling. A letter with gross errors in grammar and/or spelling will simply be dismissed as a lunatic rant. Regardless, the point is moot because no amount of letter writing will sway the powers that be at Monster.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Anonymous said:
It's not a matter of impeding understanding. People can read and understand total gobbledygook as long as the first and last letters of a word are correct. It's more a matter of appearing intelligent and thoughtful by using proper grammar and spelling.
1. When did a company care if their customers were thoughtful or intelligent?

A letter with gross errors in grammar and/or spelling will simply be dismissed as a lunatic rant.
2. Gross errors? If a couple of improperly spelled words automaticaly qualify my customer complaint letter as a lunatic rant; so be it. Perhaps YOU are being unreasonable. This is not a graduate thesis; it's a friggin' customer complaint letter. Come back to Earth space captain....

-Chris

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
It wasn't meant to be taken personally. Please try to forget I even said anything. You are right, I am wrong.

Now let's continue with the summary bashing of Monsters Inc! Or Monster Cable... Monster Garage. Whatever it was...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Az B said:
Now let's continue with the summary bashing of Monsters Inc! Or Monster Cable... Monster Garage. Whatever it was...
Wouldn't that mean bashing for purely whimsical reasons? Maybe you should bookmark Dictionary.com, too.:rolleyes:

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
Wouldn't that mean bashing for purely whimsical reasons? Maybe you should bookmark Dictionary.com, too.:rolleyes:
Hey, nobody likes a Smart Aleck! ;)

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
If you want to hear/feel real crap-fi, go to Hippo's in Albany, New York, and listen/shake to the over-boosted all-Monster system. Ugh.

L

Laserjock

Audiophyte
Hmmm...guess Bill Gates will have a field day with all the storm windows companies out there.... :rolleyes:

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I just thought of another one. The Holloween song "The Monster Mash." I am certain that it predates Monster Cable. I think I first heard it around 1960.

Last edited:
M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
Amazing. I've always thought their stuff was overpriced. Now I will tell anyone who asks not to buy it. Their business practices are predatory. They set salespeople up to misrepresent the product, which even if it were represented accurately would misrepresent the product's actual merits. Their vehement defense of their trademark, which is unquestionably a common, English word, is ludicrous.

I'm going to trademark "The" and watch the cashola come rolling in. I love this country.

Generally, people will assign more value to letters without misspellings, for a variety of reasons. This could actually be a long topic in itself. As humans, catching someone else in an error automatically elevates the identifier as superior, thus diminishing the committer in the eyes of the one holding the letter. The reviewer has nothing to judge you on but what you write.

Of course, who really cares what some stranger thinks of you anyway? Flip-side, if you're going to the trouble to write a letter, you may as well present yourself as well as possible.

Ultimately in this case, it is irrelevant. Our target obviously is making a killing preying on those looking to expert salespeople to guide them in purchase decisions. That's their job, right? Unfortunately, the trust is misplaced and the dupes don't understand the tremendous conflict-of-interest at play. It's really a conspiracy between the cable maker and retailer, against the consumer. If the consumers caught wind, the whole house-o-cards would tumble. Dare to dream.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Steve1000 said:
Done, sir! :)

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/1998/1228/6214066a_print.html

One nice quote from the Forbes article:

"Cables are to a stereo store what undercoating is to a car dealer. At Ken Crane's, a chain of eight stores based in Hawthorne, Calif., Monster accounts for 2% of retail sales volume but 30% of gross profit."

And another:

"Every month Lee sends out the numbers to each store that agrees to his aggressive sales strategy, tracking the performance of each salesman and a store's overall performance rank among competing retailers. The rankings are based not on dollar volume but on the percentage of customers who go out of the store with a Monster product. It's from this list Lee selects the winners of his all-expenses-paid weekends."
Thanks. Yes, that is what I was looking for :D

This company wants to eliminate any and all competition, even imaginary ones, just like their cables benefits ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Monster Cable Official Response from Noel Lee, CEO

Noel Lee, CEO of Monster Cable Products has issued an official response regarding recent negative publicity related to trademark issues and corporate usage of the word “Monster”. The following statement was sent to us directly from their legal department and we were issued permission to reprint it.

Monster Cable Official Response

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
No doubt, that was written by several frightfully clever fellows who get paid a lot of money. It would take a LOT of research and analysis to rebut that on a point-by-point basis. Still, some of it's not so complicated after all. The really, really dumb credibility buster...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

10) ....Where most companies find out how to take quality out of something to reduce costs, we find how we can “improve” products and make them the best of class....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Funny they felt obligated to put the word "improve" in quotes. :D

Hey, Gene, how did Monster Cable do in the cable tests? Were they best of class? Just curious. ;)

Of course, making a perfectly good cable is not rocket science, and no one really doubts Monster's cables are perfectly good.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis