Monoprice monolith setup

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, ported vs sealed won't have an impact on how easy it is to get a good response, given positioning is set based on the best placement in the room?
Positioning is key for subs. They go where they need to go more often than where you want them to go as they say :). Your room modes will dictate to an extent the extent of eq needed.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Maybe this is the correct way to phrase my question: Is there a difference in how easy/effective it will be to EQ a desired frequency response curve in a larger open room with a ported vs a sealed sub?

Or is it just preference?

Or is this just too nebulous of a topic to boil down to such a question?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Maybe this is the correct way to phrase my question: Is there a difference in how easy/effective it will be to EQ a desired frequency response curve in a larger open room with a ported vs a sealed sub?

You don't have as much headroom to EQ a sealed sub in the low end. If it were me, I wouldn't EQ a sealed sub below 40 Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have as much headroom to EQ a sealed sub in the low end. If it were me, I wouldn't EQ a sealed sub below 40 Hz.
For a sealed sub that's already been eq'd via dsp in it's amp or just in general?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For a sealed sub that's already been eq'd via dsp in it's amp or just in general?
In general. Most manufactured sealed subs already have filters in them for the low end. But sealed subs just don't have much headroom down low in general. It's a problems when auto EQ system boost the low end on sealed subs. They run of of headroom right away.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I never go by a retailers' info, prefer the manufacturer's own specs. I like the Audyssey XT32/SubEQ features in the Denon. I also had an Onkyo that failed so am a little shy, altho they do seem to have resolved some issues but their financial condition prior to being acquired by Sound United/DEI was also a concern....and their home spun AccuEQ, even adding in some of the features of the Pioneer MCACC I don't think is up to Audyssey.
Nvm. I think the Onkyo 840 is rated for 4 ohm if I read this correctly: https://www.onkyousa.com/product/home-theater/a-v-receivers-processors/tx-rz840/

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

No matter how you “phase” your question(nerd humor sorry), the answer is no, not just preference.
As shady eluded to, a sealed sub usually starts to roll off naturally at around 30hz. Any EQ, or boost you add below that will just make it work too hard and you will just add distortion, excursion and heat into the voice coil. A ported sub by comparison(a well designed and built one anyway) thats response is naturally down to 20hz will have a huge adventure below the 30hz roll off of the sealed sub.
Edit: deleted windy post about the differences beyond this...lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No matter how you “phase” your question(nerd humor sorry), the answer is no, not just preference.
As shady eluded to, a sealed sub usually starts to roll off naturally at around 30hz. Any EQ, or boost you add below that will just make it work too hard and you will just add distortion, excursion and heat into the voice coil. A ported sub by comparison(a well designed and built one anyway) thats response is naturally down to 20hz will have a huge adventure below the 30hz roll off of the sealed sub.
Edit: deleted windy post about the differences beyond this...lol
A huge adventure just sounds funny.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nvm. I think the Onkyo 840 is rated for 4 ohm if I read this correctly: https://www.onkyousa.com/product/home-theater/a-v-receivers-processors/tx-rz840/
They mention some capability at 4 ohm (as most amps have),but not what I would term a "rating"....usually a rating is a specification stated for a particular impedance and continuous output wattage and full range (20hz-20khz) at a given THD....I see no such from Onkyo on that page or the manual....only an 8 ohm one:
Rated Output Power (FTC) (North American)With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20-20,000 Hz; rated 120 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.Rated Output Power

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
They mention some capability at 4 ohm (as most amps have),but not what I would term a "rating"....usually a rating is a specification stated for a particular impedance and continuous output wattage and full range (20hz-20khz) at a given THD....I see no such from Onkyo on that page or the manual....only an 8 ohm one:
Rated Output Power (FTC) (North American)With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20-20,000 Hz; rated 120 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.Rated Output Power
Hmmm... Ya, I have no idea... Onkyo USA website indicates in two places:

Dynamic Power
250 W (3 Ohms, Front) 220 W (4 Ohms, Front) 130 W (8 Ohms, Front)

Speaker Impedance
4 ohms–16 ohms

But I guess that's not a rating...?

I'm thinking I am safe given I don't listen at insane levels and the monolith 365s drop off at 80hz, so not driving alot of low output to them. Still, I am at the limit of my understanding and I want to make sure my receiver can drive my speakers...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm... Ya, I have no idea... Onkyo USA website indicates in two places:

Dynamic Power
250 W (3 Ohms, Front) 220 W (4 Ohms, Front) 130 W (8 Ohms, Front)

Speaker Impedance
4 ohms–16 ohms

But I guess that's not a rating...?

I'm thinking I am safe given I don't listen at insane levels and the monolith 365s drop off at 80hz, so not driving alot of low output to them. Still, I am at the limit of my understanding and I want to make sure my receiver can drive my speakers...
No. But I agree I think you're still safe.

Yes, that's not a rating as most of us use the term (like Onkyo did in the manual when they state "rated"). Dynamic Power is a nebulous spec, and most amps in avrs can work fine with a 4 ohm load....up to a point (some will strain or make the avr go into protection mode at high volume levels).

ps Sort of on the subject https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
So the center channel arrived and I know this new system is going to absolutely rock. Lol I only have one of many pieces but I have been playing with it using my old entry level Onkyo receiver. Seems to drive it ok at decent volume. But my god I am impressed. I paid $350 $CDN for this speaker (about $265 USD). This speaker shines...

The clarity is amazing. Vocals and accoustic in music is just amazing. So impressed. I can't wait to get the rest of my system up and running because this is impressive.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So the center channel arrived and I know this new system is going to absolutely rock. Lol I only have one of many pieces but I have been playing with it using my old entry level Onkyo receiver. Seems to drive it ok at decent volume. But my god I am impressed. I paid $350 $CDN for this speaker (about $265 USD). This speaker shines...

The clarity is amazing. Vocals and accoustic in music is just amazing. So impressed. I can't wait to get the rest of my system up and running because this is impressive.
So the monoliths are really good value speakers. ? Maybe when I find a job I’ll buy some .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
So the monoliths are really good value speakers. ? Maybe when I find a job I’ll buy some .

Free the reptile aliens

Free the reptile aliens
I am certainly no expert, but for the price I paid, I am so damn happy with it. Like really, really happy.

Got one of the mini towers coming soon that I paid about $600 CDN for (only had one in stock on the site) and will have to wait for another deal to pop up on the next one, so I only have the center channel as reference right now, but just a mono signal going to the one center channel sounds very impressive (***with a sub, you need a good sub or two with these speakers!!!) and I am looking forward to the rest of my set up coming together.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis