Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay I've had a lot of fun running these babies full range know I've got them paired up with a SVS PC 2000 pro!

Be fun to see what happens here

Sub is level matched to 78db I usually like mine 3db hot to taste at -6 on the denon and -18 on the pro. One thing I LOOOVE about SVS subs is that app no fiddling around behind the back. I set the distance at 18 feet added 7 feet to actual distance at a 80hz crossover that should work roughly but of course Ill need to measure and do it properly I love all the headroom this sub is way overkill for this room lol

Alright let the games begin! I'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Danzilla31, how's your music listening with the T6's going, are you still liking these speakers?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Danzilla31, how's your music listening with the T6's going, are you still liking these speakers?
I'm glad you mentioned it I've been busy so haven't been able to play with them as much as I like but I have played some.

@shadyJ is going to like this

And the verdict is so far I like it better with the towers full range then with the PC 2000 pro.

I need to try different crossovers and 1 or 2 more positions with measurements and the sub blended in properly but so far yeah I like the towers better

This is not the first time that has happened I've owned some capable towers in the past for some reason in the right sized room they always seem to sound great to me on there own the subs integration requires a lot more work

Maybe @shadyJ can help clarify for me why that is

If I can't get the sub to sound as good as the towers alone I plan on selling the PC 2000 pro buying another Emotiva 3 channel BasX and doing exactly what Shady suggested and bi amping them

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm glad you mentioned it I've been busy so haven't been able to play with them as much as I like but I have played some.

@shadyJ is going to like this

And the verdict is so far I like it better with the towers full range then with the PC 2000 pro.

I need to try different crossovers and 1 or 2 more positions with measurements and the sub blended in properly but so far yeah I like the towers better

This is not the first time that has happened I've owned some capable towers in the past for some reason in the right sized room they always seem to sound great to me on there own the subs integration requires a lot more work

Maybe @shadyJ can help clarify for me why that is

If I can't get the sub to sound as good as the towers alone I plan on selling the PC 2000 pro buying another Emotiva 3 channel BasX and doing exactly what Shady suggested and bi amping them
I would guess the reason you prefer the three speakers to a single sub is that three points of low-frequency emission are going to do far more to address room modes than a single point, so you are getting higher quality bass with the speakers. A in-room measurement would be enlightening.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would guess the reason you prefer the three speakers to a single sub is that three points of low-frequency emission are going to do far more to address room modes than a single point, so you are getting higher quality bass with the speakers. A in-room measurement would be enlightening.
I know I know I'll be doing measurements as soon as I get time. My other option I want to try is running them full range with the sub is that the lfe + mains option I hear about so much?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Dan,

I know it's apples and oranges a bit, but you had 590s in your room and now these. Which sounded better from your memory?

I bet these are a bit like my Infinity R263 setup, amazing performance for the $

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dan,

I know it's apples and oranges a bit, but you had 590s in your room and now these. Which sounded better from your memory?

I bet these are a bit like my Infinity R263 setup, amazing performance for the $
The 590's for sure but in all fairness they were built with a much higher MSRP they retailed before they go an sales at a 1000 each I think maybe a little more and although they skimp a little on the finish and aesthetics they put a lot of technology into them

These as you mention are not a straight comparison as they are built for a $400 msrp I got mine on sale for 350.

For the price they measure well and you can hear it in the sound they sound and image good with above price dynamics and extension. They fit perfect in my bedroom and sound great for a low cost 3 channel setup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dan,

You said it perfect they are like your Infinity setup great amazing performance for the money

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ugggghhhh! I wanted to play some more tonight with them but we have a massive thunderstorm warning for San Antonio and there is nothing but lightning and thunder so everything is my house is unplugged until this blows through.

Sorry guys try to give you more feedback tommorow

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
What specifically is it about the 590's that makes them sonically superior?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those waveguides sure look familiar... :p

PXL_20220522_150803747_copy_777x1036.jpg

I don't toe my T&A's in at all. The highs become unbearably forward. When i was stuck in a smaller room, I actually had to toe them out. Now that I have more space for them, they just point straight forward. No complaints. Their dispersion is excellent.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those waveguides sure look familiar... :p

View attachment 56183

I don't toe my T&A's in at all. The highs become unbearably forward. When i was stuck in a smaller room, I actually had to toe them out. Now that I have more space for them, they just point straight forward. No complaints. Their dispersion is excellent.
Definitely not the same waveguide. That one is shallower and has a different curvature.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
What a load of junk. Lets break down the costing, 1700 a pair, That's 850 each. Take out the profit margin say half the retail. So you have a nice Chinese made speaker for $425 maximum. I've only guessed the profit at 50% chances are it's more like 75% If you add the maker, distributor, retailers profits.
What was your impression of their sound after you heard them?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What a load of junk. Lets break down the costing, 1700 a pair, That's 850 each. Take out the profit margin say half the retail. So you have a nice Chinese made speaker for $425 maximum. I've only guessed the profit at 50% chances are it's more like 75% If you add the maker, distributor, retailers profits.
At the very best retailers hope for doubling of cost after freight, which never works out on speakers unless you have an OEM exclusive arrangement. Monoprice being the manufacturer/distribution doesn't mean they get the extra margin if the product is, say, a lost leader. Many manufacturers are happy to break even on products in order to sell others. If speaker companies made 75% profit margins, the market would be completely different.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What, catfish eggs are too good for you? :p
Hmm.
Catfish roe.
I think the throw-up in my mouth just threw up in my mouth.

Of course, it is edible, but reported to be very fishy no matter how it is prepared. *shrugs
Now, the Chef in me is imagining stuffed hush puppies and a Cajun remoulade.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think the throw-up in my mouth just threw up in my mouth.

The way you said that. That's so hot bro ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I skimmed through 9 pages of primarily off-topic stuff, Dan getting overexcited with his new Monoprice towers, which he did get at a reasonable price. I can't blame him as I'm also a sucker for cheap speakers that punch way above their price point. RIP tSc (the brand).
I am curious about what else is there at this price point, around $800/pr to be compared against.
Monorpice ships for free but charges tax in NJ, so the total is almost $800 (at the current $375/each price)

I could only think of CMT-340SE. Including pedestals and shipping (no tax in NJ for some reason) - the total is $850
I know the petite Ascents can't fully match the bass extension of Monolith T6 towers but likely offer smoother midrange and treble?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I skimmed through 9 pages of primarily off-topic stuff, Dan getting overexcited with his new Monoprice towers, which he did get at a reasonable price. I can't blame him as I'm also a sucker for cheap speakers that punch way above their price point. RIP tSc (the brand).
I am curious about what else is there at this price point, around $800/pr to be compared against.
Monorpice ships for free but charges tax in NJ, so the total is almost $800 (at the current $375/each price)

I could only think of CMT-340SE. Including pedestals and shipping (no tax in NJ for some reason) - the total is $850
I know the petite Ascents can't fully match the bass extension of Monolith T6 towers but likely offer smoother midrange and treble?
I did get a little carried away didn't I? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis