Monoprice HTP-1 on HOLD/Backordered, 12-2022???

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
I've been considering an 'entry level' Pre/Pro with 16 channels. The comparisons of the Emotiva XMC-2 and Monoprice HTP-1 are my main focus right now. I like that the HTP-1 comes "with" the DIRAC implementation. The XMC-2 is about $800 less than the HTP-1. I've also heard the HTP-1 has the 'newer' version of the DAC's inside. However, that's precisely the problem, I think? The newer components are from a factory that BURNED DOWN!! Monoprice's website shows a restock date of December 2022~~!!! I can only assume they will need to redesign for different components or hope that these can become available sooner than later? If they can't, then I may need to go with the Emotiva XMC-2 instead... Has anyone heard anything about this recent component shortage issue? Anyone think it's worth waiting for the HTP-1 instead?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Avoid Emo at all costs.
HTP-1 backorder date is just a placeholder... Hobie has indicated that there will be stock as soon as they can get boards in to build them.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
Is "Hobie" the guy I saw on a podcast where he talks about those "better" DACs? (guessing so) I watched one recently but it was from like a year ago, I think. Guessing he's the design guy in California?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't get @TLS Guy started on Emo. :D

Especially on any Emo above $3K. I can't believe Emo has a $5K AVP? :eek:

I think these days, depending on which FLAVOR of room EQ you prefer, it comes down to Anthem vs Monoprice for 15.2CH AVP.

For 13.2CH, then Marantz AV8805A and Denon X8500HA come into the discussion.

15 speakers, huh? I am at 9 total speakers for my 26FT x 22FT x 14FT-Ceiling room.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been considering an 'entry level' Pre/Pro with 16 channels.
I always ask the SAME question every time someone says they have 15 speakers + subs. So....what is the dimensions of your room? :D

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
I'm considering 9.4.4 ... (really just 9.1.4 with 4 subs acting as 1) 13 feet wide room at the screen... opens up to about 23 feet wide and about 23 or 24 deep... low ceiling at 7feet. I could do 7.1.4... but really want the 'wide' channels to open up the front stage. Multi-sub, 4 x 12" powered subs, one in each corner. 4 x Atmos speakers on the ceiling. Most Pre/Pros don't have the "wide" channels for the front. Hence, the XMC-2 or HTP-1

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
I'm considering 9.4.4 ... (really just 9.1.4 with 4 subs acting as 1) 13 feet wide room at the screen... opens up to about 23 feet wide and about 23 or 24 deep... low ceiling at 7feet. I could do 7.1.4... but really want the 'wide' channels to open up the front stage. Multi-sub, 4 x 12" powered subs, one in each corner. 4 x Atmos speakers on the ceiling. Most Pre/Pros don't have the "wide" channels for the front. Hence, the XMC-2 or HTP-1
Also, the surrounds and mains I'm using will be more power than any AV type receiver has natively anyway.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, both the 13.2Ch Marantz AV8805A and 13.2CH Denon X8500HA have Front Wide.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also, the surrounds and mains I'm using will be more power than any AV type receiver has natively anyway.
It's cool that you WANT more power for your surrounds. Also cool that you want a Pre-pro.

But why do you THINK your SURROUNDS need more power than what an AVR like the Denon X8500HA can output?

Surround channels don't usually require much power.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is "Hobie" the guy I saw on a podcast where he talks about those "better" DACs? (guessing so) I watched one recently but it was from like a year ago, I think. Guessing he's the design guy in California?
Hobie is one of the main guys leading Monolith. I’m uncertain of his title.
He did express on the htp-1 owners thread that they have plenty of DACs on hand… but somewhere there was a discussion that at least one board was holding everything up. They had been hoping to have them back in November, originally, but know I’ve been hearing feb/mar.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
It's cool that you WANT more power for your surrounds. Also cool that you want a Pre-pro.

But why do you THINK your SURROUNDS need more power than what an AVR like the Denon X8500HA can output?

Not that they 'require' much power, but the models I am using do benefit from "speaker tuning" EQ. I have amps that have the rated power and match the brand of speaker. I only need the preamp/processor to decode the Atmos. I also like that the XMC-2 and HTP-1 have Dirac options whereas the Dennon is limited to its 'own' calibration.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast

I know they don't require much power. However, all my speakers and amps are product matched. There is specific speaker EQ in place and rated power for each speaker. "Headroom" even at lower volumes ;) I really only need decoding for Atmos and possibly some Dirac room EQ ;) The preamp/processor route seems to offer the most flexibility for tuning and setup options.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know they don't require much power. However, all my speakers and amps are product matched. There is specific speaker EQ in place and rated power for each speaker. "Headroom" even at lower volumes ;) I really only need decoding for Atmos and possibly some Dirac room EQ ;) The preamp/processor route seems to offer the most flexibility for tuning and setup options.
Just fyi only, lots of people use Denon avrs as prepro because of their very clean preamp/dac output as measured on ASR not always because they want to use some of their build in power amps for the surround speakers. No av processors managed to dethrone the x8500h so far on bench test measurements, the avr-a110 may do even better but it has not been bench tested. However, if you prefer Dirac Live then obviously Denon is not an option for you.

Also based on measurements and track record on known issues though, I would avoid the XMC models. There are other choices that also offer DL.

O

off_key88

Enthusiast
Just fyi only, lots of people use Denon avrs as prepro because of their very clean preamp/dac output as measured on ASR not always because they want to use some of their build in power amps for the surround speakers. No av processors managed to dethrone the x8500h so far on bench test measurements, the avr-a110 may do even better but it has not been bench tested. However, if you prefer Dirac Live then obviously Denon is not an option for you.

Also based on measurements and track record on known issues though, I would avoid the XMC models. There are other choices that also offer DL.
Denon x8500h is also $5000. I have not been able to find a sale or lower price. This is what makes the HTP-1 at $4000 a more attractive option. The XMC-2 is only $3,100, but I have heard too many complaints about quality and software updates.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis