Monolith by Monoprice THX-460T THX Ultra Certified Tower Speaker

S

sbli

Enthusiast
Did anyone pick a pair of the towers up and care to comment? The atmos tower is currently on sale. Thinking about picking up a pair myself.

Additional question: is there any downside to getting the Atmos tower over the regular tower? Or is it just whether or not you want to pay extra for the Atmos effect? Because, currently, the Atmos speaker is actually cheaper.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you!

Being a “dealer” has some personal pros, but man, the cons on forums suck.

I bet when I was just a moderator for AH and I had said “2 inches seem way too small for a midrange in a 3-Way THX certified tower“, people would just say, “Well, that’s just your opinion”.

But now everything is about selling? I think 2” is too small for a midrange because I don’t sell Monoprice? Geez.

I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut. :D

2 of the things that Gene has talked about regarding speakers include Accuracy and Dynamics.

Driver sizes are not everything, but they do have a lot to do with Dynamics.

So when I saw “2-inch midrange“ I just thought, I wonder what Gene has to say about that?

And “THX” is supposed to about accuracy and Dynamics.

But maybe driver sizes and dynamics are overrated? I think it’s worth discussing.
I'm sure You don't have anything against "Midget" :D driver's as long as they measure well with in what it's designed for. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did anyone pick a pair of the towers up and care to comment? The atmos tower is currently on sale. Thinking about picking up a pair myself.

Additional question: is there any downside to getting the Atmos tower over the regular tower? Or is it just whether or not you want to pay extra for the Atmos effect? Because, currently, the Atmos speaker is actually cheaper.

There is no downside to having the Atmos module, aside from the extra cost. If everything else is the same, I would spring for the Atmos version, because why not. You can experiment with it, and if you don't like it, don't use it, no harm done.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
The NHT C4 also has a 2 inch midrange dome with 6.5 inch woofers.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
When paired with dual subs is there an argument to be made for the THX-465T over the THX-365T (assuming cost is no option) for L/R speakers?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
When paired with dual subs is there an argument to be made for the THX-465T over the THX-365T (assuming cost is no option) for L/R speakers?
With subs, the advantage is that the 465 would have more mid-bass headroom versus the 365. You would have to be cranking the system pretty hard to hear that difference.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@BMXTRIX I wonder how that Silver Ticket screen project end up - also which 8" 3-way speakers did you go with (if it's not a secret)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
@BMXTRIX I wonder how that Silver Ticket screen project end up - also which 8" 3-way speakers did you go with (if it's not a secret)
It ended up looking really good. No moire patterns or issues with the screen at all. In the last year I also installed the Silver Ticket WAB screen with a Epson 5050 and the 8" three-way in-wall speakers from Monoprice in a 7.1.4 Atmos setup. That one turned out nice as well. Both rooms were painted a very dark color, which always helps with final image quality.
These speakers sound so good when there is a budget that needs to be met. I find them very tough to beat without spending a great deal more money.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I also did an installation where I put in a set of these all around for a 7.1 setup...

I think this was with a Epson 5050 projector. I believe the original speakers cut in were B&W's or similar. The size of the holes had to be reduced a bit to get these speakers to fit, but they were a pretty close match and ended up sounding a fair bit better than the 8" 3-way models I typically had used from them. Of course, it helped when it was paired with a Emotiva 7 channel amplifier to drive things. Kept popping a circuit, so ran a new circuit to ensure enough power was there to run things smooth. Works really well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis