Monolith by Monoprice HTP-1 16 Channel Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Home Theater Processor w/Dirac & Alexa Compatibility

Spinningbull

Spinningbull

Enthusiast
How many speakers/channels are you thinking?

7.1.6 Atmos?

ATI ATP-16 + all ATI amps (7Ch + 6Ch) would be dreamy. :D
7.1.4 + zone 2 (patio)

Today I'm doing 5.1.2. I have an at525nc, running the bed, and the 3070 running atmos and patio. Too bad the at500 series aren't upgradable! Was thinking I would add a 7ch and a simple 2 ch for zone 2. But the rack space gets crammed...

It is too easy to dream!

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
What's sad is that once you have kids and a wife who is dead set on reigning in your spending habits, even replacement banana plugs becomes a dream.

Wife: What is this Amazon order for $5.99?
Me: I ordered new banana plugs for my speakers, I didn't have enough for all the connections.
Wife: What are banana plugs?
Me: Speaker bling, makes it easier to plug and unplug the wires without damaging the copper wire.
Wife: Why do your speakers need bling? Why are you connecting and disconnecting them.
Me: You know why, When I review new speakers I need to disconnect them.
Wife: Can't you just disconnect them without the connectors?
Me: IT'S $5.99, WHY DO YOU CARE?
wife: We could have invested that money.
Me: Because Google is trading at $5.99 now?

Just imagine how a new JVC proctor purchase is going to go.

I do love my wife, but man, no new toys for me.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
What's sad is that once you have kids and a wife who is dead set on reigning in your spending habits, even replacement banana plugs becomes a dream.

Me: I ordered new banana plugs for my speakers, I didn't have enough for all the connections.
Me: Speaker bling, makes it easier to plug and unplug the wires without damaging the copper wire.
Wife: Why do your speakers need bling? Why are you connecting and disconnecting them.

Do you generate income from the reviews you do?

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Yes!

But most of it has been going back into things like better measurement equipment, studio lights, etc. Things I need to do better products.

For example, I switched from using inexpensive XLR and USB measurement mics to using a NIST certified measurement microphone with ~flat response from .5hz to 35khz, better sound interface, etc. That was relatively expensive. I still need to purchase a better video camera.

The Banana plugs was an old argument we had when I built the theater (Which, admittedly, was a very expensive project). She's fine with me using my review money to buy equipment. I just haven't made enough to purchase a JVC projector on top of the business needs I have. Also looking to expand my acoustics business into doing village sound ordinance compliance and I need a tapping machine and Omni-speaker. We are talking like $10,000 at a minimum for new.

I had an unusually large bonus from my job this past year as a reward for good work (like I was recognized highly in my industry this past year) and I half-seriously said I was going to use some of it for a new projector. She glared at me and said it would be going toward IRA's and vacation. To be honest, I'm happier in my theater with a new projector than on the beach in Hawaii.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yes!

But most of it has been going back into things like better measurement equipment, studio lights, etc. Things I need to do better products.

For example, I switched from using inexpensive XLR and USB measurement mics to using a NIST certified measurement microphone with ~flat response from .5hz to 35khz, better sound interface, etc. That was relatively expensive. I still need to purchase a better video camera.

The Banana plugs was an old argument we had when I built the theater (Which, admittedly, was a very expensive project). She's fine with me using my review money to buy equipment. I just haven't made enough to purchase a JVC projector on top of the business needs I have. Also looking to expand my acoustics business into doing village sound ordinance compliance and I need a tapping machine and Omni-speaker. We are talking like $10,000 at a minimum for new.

I had an unusually large bonus from my job this past year as a reward for good work (like I was recognized highly in my industry this past year) and I half-seriously said I was going to use some of it for a new projector. She glared at me and said it would be going toward IRA's and vacation. To be honest, I'm happier in my theater with a new projector than on the beach in Hawaii.
Well, Matthew, it is difficult to draw a reasoned conclusion from this information. My first impression was that your wife is just being unreasonable. Some wives are like that once the kids arrive - a husband ceases to be a person and just becomes a resource. I had a wife like that once. ;-) On the other hand, "She's fine with me using my review money to buy equipment." is not indicative of an unreasonable person, and preferring investing and retirement savings is not being entirely selfish. I was going to recommend that you negotiate a budget for your audio expenditures, but it sounds like you already have, and you want to exceed your budget. It sounds like both of need some reflection on the big picture. Worrying about buying $5 banana plugs is unreasonable, but one does have to wonder about how you got into such a fix with her...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

A $6 conflict is nonsensical!
Most likely, she needed to give you more "what for" which you had coming from a previous conflict that you had forgotten about:
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/08/resolving-conflict-men-vs-women/

NPR had a researcher talking about how women tended to remember conflicts longer then men more in the context of male female relationships.
The above article was the closest I could find without making a full blown research project out of it.

Last edited:
Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Well, Matthew, it is difficult to draw a reasoned conclusion from this information. My first impression was that your wife is just being unreasonable. Some wives are like that once the kids arrive - a husband ceases to be a person and just becomes a resource. I had a wife like that once. ;-) On the other hand, "She's fine with me using my review money to buy equipment." is not indicative of an unreasonable person, and preferring investing and retirement savings is not being entirely selfish. I was going to recommend that you negotiate a budget for your audio expenditures, but it sounds like you already have, and you want to exceed your budget. It sounds like both of need some reflection on the big picture. Worrying about buying $5 banana plugs is unreasonable, but one does have to wonder about how you got into such a fix with her...
I have a $0 budget out of my primary income, I can spend any amount I make from my audio related business activities.

I was really teasing. My wife is maybe a little unreasonable about this at times, but overall, I can't complain. I was always "ok" with my money, but when I met her, she transformed me. When she met me I had a new fancy red sports car I probably shouldn't have bought, way too much invested in my equipment, frivolous spending habits with food and entertainment, and modest savings.

So left to my own devices I would probably still spend inappropriately, now we are more responsible. The first deal she actually made with me was that whenever I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I should buy stock with it instead. That's actually been pretty helpful. Sometimes you need a little shopping therapy. At least buying stock is basically shopping for savings.

I also have plenty of good audio equipment, PLENTY, and I don't really need to dream. It's hard not to, who doesn't want the latest and greatest. But it really does lead to unhappiness to always want what you don't have. After spending a fortune building the theater and wanting to turn toward some upgrades, a good friend stopped me and said, Hey Matt, remember, you are lucky to have all this. Just step back and enjoy it. It was a great reminder and something I appreciate.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Heck, most financial advisors will say to budget some spending money each paycheck. LMFAO on $6. :)

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Heck, most financial advisors will say to budget some spending money each paycheck. LMFAO on $6. :)
But they don't specify who gets to spend that money. Apparently, it is not me.

obviously, I am teasing a bit. How can I really be upset about someone helping me save better for my future.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I should mention that I have four JBL 8340a's sitting behind my screen going unused, so it's not like I always make the sanest purchase decisions.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
But they don't specify who gets to spend that money. Apparently, it is not me.

obviously, I am teasing a bit. How can I really be upset about someone helping me save better for my future.
Think it’s best to make your financial decisions as a team. Nobody should be dependent on someone else taking care of their money. Sometimes when someone is questioning your use of money, it’s because they have issues with money they are hiding. Not to say that is what your situation is. Money is one of those huge items in a relationship. Many break ups are over money.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Think it’s best to make your financial decisions as a team. Nobody should be dependent on someone else taking care of their money. Sometimes when someone is questioning your use of money, it’s because they have issues with money they are hiding. Not to say that is what your situation is. Money is one of those huge items in a relationship. Many break ups are over money.
Sh@$! Man I'm glad I'm single good Lord Almighty. Lol :p

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have a $0 budget out of my primary income, I can spend any amount I make from my audio related business activities.

I was really teasing. My wife is maybe a little unreasonable about this at times, but overall, I can't complain. I was always "ok" with my money, but when I met her, she transformed me. When she met me I had a new fancy red sports car I probably shouldn't have bought, way too much invested in my equipment, frivolous spending habits with food and entertainment, and modest savings.

So left to my own devices I would probably still spend inappropriately, now we are more responsible. The first deal she actually made with me was that whenever I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I should buy stock with it instead. That's actually been pretty helpful. Sometimes you need a little shopping therapy. At least buying stock is basically shopping for savings.

I also have plenty of good audio equipment, PLENTY, and I don't really need to dream. It's hard not to, who doesn't want the latest and greatest. But it really does lead to unhappiness to always want what you don't have. After spending a fortune building the theater and wanting to turn toward some upgrades, a good friend stopped me and said, Hey Matt, remember, you are lucky to have all this. Just step back and enjoy it. It was a great reminder and something I appreciate.
Well, it didn't sound like teasing, Matthew, it sounded like whining. And if I was your spouse and you had almost $2K worth of speakers sitting idle, even I might give you a hard time about banana plugs. ;-)

You also have to understand that there's a lot of posts that make wives sound like tyrants on AH. After years of reading this torment, some of us react pretty harshly.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Well, it didn't sound like teasing, Matthew, it sounded like whining. And if I was your spouse and you had almost $2K worth of speakers sitting idle, even I might give you a hard time about banana plugs. ;-)

You also have to understand that there's a lot of posts that make wives sound like tyrants on AH. After years of reading this torment, some of us react pretty harshly.
Sorry if my comment ruffled any feathers. Didn’t mean to.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t spend 2k on those speakers. More like $100 for all 4. Still wasteful, I get it. I need to use them. They are just sooo heavy. I didn’t realize how big they were when I bought them. Mounting them on walls with no studs is tricky.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Oh no worries, we do. We both have open access to all accounts. We both know how much money comes in and how much goes out. We make decisions on big expenditure together. My wife is trying to help me be more responsible with our money which I appreciate.

J

jocedeg

Audiophyte
Dear Andy,

The phrase "Get a life" is an expression from the 1980s implying that the recipient of the comment was obsessing about something that wasn't worth obsessing about, or sometimes to refer to someone the speaker felt was not in touch with reality. The phrase was most famously used by William Shatner at a Star Trek convention, where in one of the convention keynote addresses he told the attendees to "Get a life!" (Perhaps no other time in history has the phrase been so appropriately used.) In this case, multiple posts about whether or not DAC channels are used in possible differential modes is definitely in the realm of minutiae.

Hence, get a life.

Sincerely,

Irv
Shatner used it in a SNL sketch that was a parody of a Star Trek convention. Not a real convention at all.

(I guess I obsess about accuracy, unlike you. So maybe I should "Get a life"...)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Shatner used it in a SNL sketch that was a parody of a Star Trek convention. Not a real convention at all.

(I guess I obsess about accuracy, unlike you. So maybe I should "Get a life"...)
Not at all. Good point, and thanks for the correction.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
7.1.4 + zone 2 (patio)

Today I'm doing 5.1.2. I have an at525nc, running the bed, and the 3070 running atmos and patio. Too bad the at500 series aren't upgradable! Was thinking I would add a 7ch and a simple 2 ch for zone 2. But the rack space gets crammed...

It is too easy to dream!

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Thinking about going "separates"? :D

I assume if you were dreaming, it would be going all separates with ATI ATP16 pre-pro + ATI AT525NC + AT528NC = 13CH? :D

Shoot, it could happen since you already have 1 of the 3 components. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis